ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship!

Australia: Points Calculator | Skilled Immigration
New Zealand: Points Calculator | work visas

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Garry
Newly Registered

Citizenship!

Post by Garry » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:50 am

Hi all,

I need some help reg the citizenship of Australia. The info on immi.gov.au is too confusing for me. My case is that i wud have been living in Australia for last 5 yrs and been PR for last 1 yr this july. I have made travel overseas during my 1 yr of PR (2 weeks UK, 3 weeks Vienna).
Now would i be eligible to apply for citizenship? i dont have any spouse/family etc etc. I am an independent person living in Australia.

thanks
Garry

thinker

Post by thinker » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:20 am

Unfortunately you cannot apply for Aus Citizenship now.

Reason being:
1) You should be a permanent resident &
2) you should have stayed in Australia for 2 out of the last 5 years as a Permanent Resident

Since you have stayed as a permanent resident for less than 2 years, you will not be eligible to apply until you have completed two years.

The two years should be exact two years, if you have travelled during this time then you should stay in Australia for the length of your overseas travel in order to be eligible.

You should still regard yourself as lucky as the new citizenship rules does not apply to you! Now its 4 years min. stay!!

Hope this helps!