ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New Zealand PR.. work in AU

Australia: Points Calculator | Skilled Immigration
New Zealand: Points Calculator | work visas

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

netweaver2007
Newly Registered

New Zealand PR.. work in AU

Post by netweaver2007 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:37 pm

Hi
I’m an New Zealand Permanent Resident (PR) holder and planning to work in Australia.
Do I need any visa to work in AU? Or my NZ PR is sufficient?
Cheers
Jawa

custodian

Re: New Zealand PR.. work in AU

Post by custodian » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:24 pm

netweaver2007 wrote:Hi
I’m an New Zealand Permanent Resident (PR) holder and planning to work in Australia.
Do I need any visa to work in AU? Or my NZ PR is sufficient?
Cheers
Jawa
NZ PR is no good for Aus. Forget working in Aus, even to visit Aus you will still need to apply for a visitor visa.

waterlily
Newly Registered

Post by waterlily » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:37 pm

Apparently someone with AUS PR can work in NZ, but not the other way round. I guess it's to stop people using NZ as a stepping stone to get into AUS, as apparently that's what many immigrants have done for years (as NZ is easier to get into).

Last I heard (a couple of months ago) is that you need to wait until you have a NZ passport before you can work in AUS without needing a permit, and for this you need to have had NZ PR for 5 years if I remember correctly!

Good luck with your plans :wink:

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:28 am

That's correct on both counts. A NZ passport requires 5 years residency as a permanent resident (I believe) in order to be able to apply for citizenship. Apparently it was to 'strengthen' the value of the NZ passport, but I'm suspicious it was to assist in stopping using NZ as a stepping stone as it used to be 3 years before...

netweaver2007
Newly Registered

Post by netweaver2007 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:18 pm

esharknz wrote:That's correct on both counts. A NZ passport requires 5 years residency as a permanent resident (I believe) in order to be able to apply for citizenship. Apparently it was to 'strengthen' the value of the NZ passport, but I'm suspicious it was to assist in stopping using NZ as a stepping stone as it used to be 3 years before...
Thanks for your answer. I’m a high tech software consultant and working in NZ. I already worked in UK, USA and Aussie. Just asked this question about NZ PR eligibilities. But, you have answered unnecessary about stepping stone and strengthening issues.

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:58 pm

Sorry, this was in response to what someone else said in this thread.