ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about Partner Visa (UK citizen moving to AUS)

Australia: Points Calculator | Skilled Immigration
New Zealand: Points Calculator | work visas

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

spanmidd
Newly Registered

Question about Partner Visa (UK citizen moving to AUS)

Post by spanmidd » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:05 pm

Hi there

I have a question about the Partner Visa for a UK citizen moving to Australia.

I'm an Australian citizen and my fiancee is a UK citizen. We're getting married this year and want to move to Australia at the end of the year.

We're going to apply for the Partner Visa which (during the first stage of the Visa) will allow her to stay in Australia for 2 years. However, we would really like to get this Visa sorted out sooner than later which brings me to my main question.

I have read on a few websites that the 2 years begins from the time of application for the Visa, which means if we apply for it soon, then that's going to be at least half a year of the allowed 2 years wasted.

Is it possible to state on the application when you would like the 2 years to start from?

spanmidd
Newly Registered

Re: Question about Partner Visa (UK citizen moving to AUS)

Post by spanmidd » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:41 pm

Does anybody have any answer to this question?

rmaustralia
Newly Registered

Post by rmaustralia » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:22 am

Which visa subclass have you applied? If it's the offshore 309 the 2 year period begins on grant (not application) however this can be waived if there are grounds for compassionate and compelling circumstances.

spanmidd
Newly Registered

Post by spanmidd » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:23 pm

Hi there

Thanks for replying and for the info! That answers my question.

Also, would you happen to know a realistic time frame for how long it takes for the temporary Offshore Visa to be granted? Whenever we travel to Australia, my fiancee has a passport with a chip where she is granted her visitors visa via ETA.

Cheers

rmaustralia
Newly Registered

Post by rmaustralia » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:05 pm

Depends a lot on how busy they are. It can take up to 3 months. Be sure you've registered your relationship with the Registry of Births Deaths & Marriages in the State you intend to live and include it in the application before you submit as this will help you.

spanmidd
Newly Registered

Post by spanmidd » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:44 pm

Thank you. I heard it could take up to 5 months (which is still fine as we want to move at the end of this year) so 3 months would be better!

Also, thanks for the tip about registering our marriage :)