ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice needed uncancelled/Expired Passport Lost

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

zzzindagi

Advice needed uncancelled/Expired Passport Lost

Post by zzzindagi » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:56 am

Hi Guys,

I need advice for my first British Passport Application.

There is section where we have to write current and previous/expired passport numbers.
I have two expired and one valid passport and also there is a space for 3 passports available in the form.

I have had another passport which i never used in my life. That was my first Pakistani Passport which was lost. It has been stamped as " Previous Passport Reported lost " on my 2nd passport. I have always considered my second passport as my first passport because i entered UK first time on my second Passport and consider my first passport irrelevant.

Now the problem is there is another Section where we have to write the details of any passport which has been lost or stolen.

Can someone please advice me what should i write? should i just write the details of my 2 previous and a current passport and ignore the one which was lost in my home country ages ago.?

Many Thanks
ZR

noajthan

Re: Advice needed uncancelled/Expired Passport Lost

Post by noajthan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:14 am

zzzindagi wrote:Hi Guys,

There is section where we have to write current and previous/expired passport numbers.
I have two expired and one valid passport and also there is a space for 3 passports available in the form.

I have had another passport which i never used in my life. That was my first Pakistani Passport which was lost. It has been stamped as " Previous Passport Reported lost " on my 2nd passport. I have always considered my second passport as my first passport because i entered UK first time on my second Passport and consider my first passport irrelevant.

Now the problem is there is another Section where we have to write the details of any passport which has been lost or stolen.

Can someone please advice me what should i write? should i just write the details of my 2 previous and a current passport and ignore the one which was lost in my home country ages ago.?

Many Thanks
There is a very clear question about lost passports. Its clearly of interest to HMPO.
Submit details of all those passports in the relevant sections of the form, including the lost one.

As its referenced in another passport then its obvious there was another passport in existence.
Add explanation in a cover note if necessary.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:01 pm

I don't think that there is need to give detail of expired passport which is counted as cancelled unless it was lost. This section only asks about uncancelled passports means those passports which are still valid. Remember on renewing or getting new passport the previous passport gets cancelled immediately.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:40 pm

seagul wrote:I don't think that there is need to give detail of expired passport which is counted as cancelled unless it was lost. This section only asks about uncancelled passports means those passports which are still valid. Remember on renewing or getting new passport the previous passport gets cancelled immediately.

There are a number of categories involved here: valid, expired, cancelled, lost, stolen, destroyed.

An expired passport is not necessarily cancelled :!: :!:
Cancellation is an intervention by the issuing authority.
If a passport simply times out and expires it is not automatically cancelled (as if by magic).

Equally, as a member found out to their cost recently, just punching holes in or cutting off a corner of a passport (by themselves) does not make a passport 'cancelled'.

If you notice the passport instructions say 'send all passports including unexpired passports (if not cancelled)' - or words to that effect.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:16 pm

noajthan wrote:
seagul wrote:I don't think that there is need to give detail of expired passport which is counted as cancelled unless it was lost. This section only asks about uncancelled passports means those passports which are still valid. Remember on renewing or getting new passport the previous passport gets cancelled immediately.

There are a number of categories involved here: valid, expired, cancelled, lost, stolen, destroyed.

An expired passport is not necessarily cancelled :!: :!:
Cancellation is an intervention by the issuing authority.
If a passport simply times out and expires it is not automatically cancelled (as if by magic).

Equally, as a member found out to their cost recently, just punching holes in or cutting off a corner of a passport (by themselves) does not make a passport 'cancelled'.

If you notice the passport instructions say 'send all passports including unexpired passports (if not cancelled)' - or words to that effect.
A person can only have one passport of a particular/relevant country at one time and when it expires/lost then the issuance of New passport cause cancellation to previous one. The reason of three boxes on the form means that a person can have another country nationality with passport. Again a person can only have one passport at one time and the previous one become invalid/cancellation on the issuance of New passport and usually previous passport gets stamp too indicating the issue of New passport. Does it give better understanding?
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:45 pm

But yes for passport applications as per instructions all passport including expired one will also need to send.

lemony

Post by lemony » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:39 pm

Hi All,
I have just applied for the first British Passport and sent only the current foreign pp alongwith the application (via P.O check and send service). We have at least one expired passport per family member but those were not sent.
I had called up passport office today after reading this post and they told me that we dont need to send any such passports which we dont use at the moment. All expired and cancelled passports supposedly fall under this category.
I hope this helps.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:57 pm

seagul wrote:A person can only have one passport of a particular/relevant country at one time and when it expires/lost then the issuance of New passport cause cancellation to previous one. The reason of three boxes on the form means that a person can have another country nationality with passport. Again a person can only have one passport at one time and the previous one become invalid/cancellation on the issuance of New passport and usually previous passport gets stamp too indicating the issue of New passport. Does it give better understanding?
Actually that is an over-simplification.
Someone can perfectly legitimately hold 2 passports from the same country at the same time.

For example, a business traveller who needs to visit countries that are in conflict or that are incompatible with each other;
e.g. Israel and Iran/Lebanon/Syria/Iraq; USA and Cuba etc etc.
These passports are likely to have different expiry dates and one or both may or may not be renewed (when the time comes).

Your statement also assumes all expired passports are immediately renewed by being replaced with a newer one. This is not necessarily true.

For example, if someone has a passport lying around in a drawer for over 5 or 10 years (depending on country of issue) it is going to expire.
It will not automatically be cancelled. So that passport is expired but not cancelled.
HMPO wants to see such a passport.

On the other hand, if you have an expired passport that has been renewed and the expired one has been cancelled (during the renewal process) then what you have is an old cancelled passport.
HMPO doesn't care about this one.

So there are reasons for the different states a passport can be in.
And the passport form has to be generic and capture all these possible scenarios (not just the way you manage your passports).

And HMPO, for their own purposes, wants to know about and scrutinise all such passports in all these states except for the cancelled ones.
- as per the HMPO instructions.

As reported recently, a member has even got into a catch-22 situation with HMPO by accidentally admitting they have a cancelled passport (even though they didn't need to mention it). If interested you can find and read the whole saga.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:17 pm

lemony wrote:Hi All,
I have just applied for the first British Passport and sent only the current foreign pp alongwith the application (via P.O check and send service). We have at least one expired passport per family member but those were not sent.
I had called up passport office today after reading this post and they told me that we dont need to send any such passports which we dont use at the moment. All expired and cancelled passports supposedly fall under this category.
I hope this helps.
Thanks for confirming that you only sent the most recent passport but how about did you write down other expired passport number at section 3B??

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:41 pm

seagul wrote:Thanks for confirming that you only sent the most recent passport but how about did you write down other expired passport number at section 3B??
Not sure how someone in different circumstances (and who has not said they have successfully received their passports) can help answer your question which relates to some lost passport.

The form and guidance are very clear that, for all types of passport application (not just first-time naturalisation cases), all previous uncancelled passports are required.
Questions could be expected on this matter at the passport interview too.

Also note the HO & HMPO helplines are notoriously unreliable as many members have testified (& I have personal experience of); call 3 times get 4 different answers.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:55 pm

noajthan wrote:
seagul wrote:Thanks for confirming that you only sent the most recent passport but how about did you write down other expired passport number at section 3B??
Not sure how someone in different circumstances (and who has not said they have successfully received their passports) can help answer your question which relates to some lost passport.

The form and guidance are very clear that, for all types of passport application (not just first-time naturalisation cases), all previous uncancelled passports are required.
Questions could be expected on this matter at the passport interview too.

Also note the HO & HMPO helplines are notoriously unreliable as many members have testified (& I have personal experience of); call 3 times get 4 different answers.
Yes you are right to attach all previous passports even expired ones because the same mentioned in booklet too. It's also true that all helpline including ukba even passport office always give different answers so best practice to follow the booklet.

lemony

Post by lemony » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:19 pm

Actually in my case i have passport for only 1 country, hence all our expired passports are the ones for which we have got renewals. Hence I believe, in our case these expired passports are also cancelled. I believe this is the reason for it being ok for us not to send the expired ones.

noajthan wrote:
Actually that is an over-simplification.
Someone can perfectly legitimately hold 2 passports from the same country at the same time.

For example, a business traveller who needs to visit countries that are in conflict or that are incompatible with each other;
e.g. Israel and Iran/Lebanon/Syria/Iraq; USA and Cuba etc etc.
These passports are likely to have different expiry dates and one or both may or may not be renewed (when the time comes).

Your statement also assumes all expired passports are immediately renewed by being replaced with a newer one. This is not necessarily true.

For example, if someone has a passport lying around in a drawer for over 5 or 10 years (depending on country of issue) it is going to expire.
It will not automatically be cancelled. So that passport is expired but not cancelled.
HMPO wants to see such a passport.

On the other hand, if you have an expired passport that has been renewed and the expired one has been cancelled (during the renewal process) then what you have is an old cancelled passport.
HMPO doesn't care about this one.

So there are reasons for the different states a passport can be in.
And the passport form has to be generic and capture all these possible scenarios (not just the way you manage your passports).

And HMPO, for their own purposes, wants to know about and scrutinise all such passports in all these states except for the cancelled ones.
- as per the HMPO instructions.

As reported recently, a member has even got into a catch-22 situation with HMPO by accidentally admitting they have a cancelled passport (even though they didn't need to mention it). If interested you can find and read the whole saga.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:31 pm

lemony wrote:Actually in my case i have passport for only 1 country, hence all our expired passports are the ones for which we have got renewals. Hence I believe, in our case these expired passports are also cancelled. I believe this is the reason for it being ok for us not to send the expired ones.
Agreed - because although expired they have (presumably) also been cancelled by the issuing authority.
So they are actually Cancelled passports (& happen to have expired).

No need to trouble HMPO with them. (In fact advisable not to do so).

(There are ofcourse other reasons for cancelling passports too).

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:47 pm

Will it be ok that if someone has written previous 2 expired passports numbers at section 3B along with the recent one but actually sending the recent one? Should the expired ones written on form need to be deleted or left there as it won't affect??

zzzindagi

Post by zzzindagi » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:03 pm

Thanks everyone,

Actually, my first passport was issued 20 years ago. Which i never used. When i wanted to apply for UK visa I had to apply for new passport as my previous Passport was already expired and lost.

Then i applied for new passport and they stamped on my new passport that i have had another passport before which was. 1. Lost/stolen 2. Expired 3.cancelled " They ticked on number 1 with pen.

I have never mentioned that passport number in any of my visa application and as far as i remember there has never been any section in the past or now where i had to mention my lost passport which was irrelevant to my immigration history.

I can only provide my lost passport number. I want to know if that section where they are asking for the details of lost passport whether it is relevant in my case. I won't be able to provide any further details except passport number because it was lost 20 years ago and i don't remember anything. Just trying to avoid complications.

Many Thanks
ZR

zzzindagi

Post by zzzindagi » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:56 pm

seagul wrote:Will it be ok that if someone has written previous 2 expired passports numbers at section 3B along with the recent one but actually sending the recent one? Should the expired ones written on form need to be deleted or left there as it won't affect??
Yes this is the point whether we have to send all or just current passport.
Also they have written in the Guidance :
Lost or Stolen: Only fill in Part C if your or your child's current passport has been lost or stolen"
ZR

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:00 pm

zzzindagi wrote:TI can only provide my lost passport number. I want to know if that section where they are asking for the details of lost passport whether it is relevant in my case. I won't be able to provide any further details except passport number because it was lost 20 years ago and i don't remember anything. Just trying to avoid complications.

Many Thanks
Just fill in what you know & do what you can.
Explain in the 'info' section what happened to it & what you don't know.

This is a different form with different requirements so its irrelevant what you did or didn't do on different previous forms (as long as you didn't suppress material facts).

Chances are the HMPO caseworker will ask for information about this passport (causing you delays) if you simply miss it off the form, as they will see the clear cross-reference in the other passport.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Post by seagul » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:29 pm

seagul wrote:Will it be ok that if someone has written previous 2 expired passports numbers at section 3B along with the recent one but actually sending the recent one? Should the expired ones written on form need to be deleted or left there as it won't affect??

zzzindagi

Post by zzzindagi » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:52 pm

noajthan wrote:
zzzindagi wrote:Hi Guys,

Many Thanks
There is a very clear question about lost passports. Its clearly of interest to HMPO.
Submit details of all those passports in the relevant sections of the form, including the lost one.

As its referenced in another passport then its obvious there was another passport in existence.
Add explanation in a cover note if necessary.
Hi Noajthan,

I went to Post Office today and the person who checked my application form rejected that saying i should not have put my lost passport details in the form. He said it is only for those who lost their British passports not foreign. He said HMPO will never accept my application as i have put the wrong details in the form.
He has asked me to write my Parents marriage date as well. My Parents are not alive and i don't know their marriage date.
Please suggest me what should i do?

Many Thanks
ZR

tehminamazher
Member of Standing

Post by tehminamazher » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:46 pm

I had a very bad experience when I applied for British Passport for my son using the passport office.

The PO staff dealing with passport applications are not trained and dont have an uptodate knowledge.

I tried 4 different PO and atlast was successful in persuading one lady at the post office and she said that I have filled the form right aand accepted my check and send passport application for my son.

My suggesstion try different PO and if still does not work , just simply post the application without using check and send service.

Regards

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:03 pm

zzzindagi wrote: Hi Noajthan,

I went to Post Office today and the person who checked my application form rejected that saying i should not have put my lost passport details in the form. He said it is only for those who lost their British passports not foreign. He said HMPO will never accept my application as i have put the wrong details in the form.
He has asked me to write my Parents marriage date as well. My Parents are not alive and i don't know their marriage date.
Please suggest me what should i do?

Many Thanks
I don't have a copy of the form here to check.

As you have been naturalised you don't rely on parent's dates to get a passport.
If date is not known state "Not known" or "N/A".

Tip: keep copy of form for your reference.