ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

yurir
Newly Registered

Re: Advice on filling form AN for naturalisation

Post by yurir » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:05 pm

Hi All,

My wife and I would like to apply for British citizenship this year. We are both EU citizens and we both have DCPRs now. Unfortunately my wife hasn't yet held her PR for 12 months (I have). Assuming my citizenship application gets approved, can she then apply for her citizenship on the basis that she is married to a British citizen ie. without having to wait until her PR reaches 12 moths maturity?

--
Many thanks,
Yuri

Noetic
Member of Standing

Post by Noetic » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:33 pm

yurir wrote:Hi All,

My wife and I would like to apply for British citizenship this year. We are both EU citizens and we both have DCPRs now. Unfortunately my wife hasn't yet held her PR for 12 months (I have). Assuming my citizenship application gets approved, can she then apply for her citizenship on the basis that she is married to a British citizen ie. without having to wait until her PR reaches 12 moths maturity?

--
Many thanks,
Yuri
Yes she can :)

yurir
Newly Registered

Post by yurir » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:37 pm

Splendid, thank you!

DKSin
Newly Registered

Post by DKSin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:19 pm

pogotosh wrote:
nzvinokona wrote:
pogotosh wrote:Guys,

In terms of the log for our travel absences, can we include this as an attachment with the Main Form AN or do we need to manually complete this by hand in the table given within the AN form?

Thanks for your help.
Hi,
I recomend just sticking to the form in long hand to be compliant and for consistency.

Thanks nzvinokona

I also had a query concerning the employment section in the AN Form.

I am currently a Full Time MBA Student . However, I will be commencing my Summer Internship from Monday (13th of June) and my JCAP appointment is on the 17th.

My internship is a Fixed Term employment and will be ending on the 19th of August. Hence, in the employment section of the application, should I include my upcoming summer internship details as the details of my employment or should I just indicate that I am a Full Time MBA student and am hence not employed on a Full Time Basis?
I would send them the most up to date info. On the day you apply, you will be employed and you should mention that along with the correct date on the application form. you can put 13/06/16 to PRESENT

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:58 pm

yurir wrote:Hi All,

--
Many thanks,
Yuri
When did wife acquire her PR status :?:
That is not necessarily the same as when she got her PR card (which simply confirms the status).
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Scorpion786
Newly Registered

Post by Scorpion786 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:41 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am planning to apply for British Citizenship in this month.
Just to clarify I was married to a British citizen. However, we got separated after our first child born (It has been a tragedy).
Moreover, I have been in the UK for last 6 and half years and been holding the ILR for 1 and half year.

Now jump to query which I am very confused with and they are-

(1.15) What do I gotta pick if I am just separated and applying without my former wife's support such as her passport?

(1.32) Do I require to provide my former wife's information when I am applying without her supports/documents?

(6.7) In this section, I selected "No" and emphasised why I cannot enclose the Biometric card (as I have an upcoming uni exam that I require to provide my biometric card). I believe that wouldn't effect my application.

* What other necessary documents do I require for this application based on my circumstances?

Thanks everyone

Cheers!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:30 pm

Scorpion786 wrote:Hi Everyone,
I am planning to apply for British Citizenship in this month.

(1.15) What do I gotta pick if I am just separated and applying without my former wife's support such as her passport?

(1.32) Do I require to provide my former wife's information when I am applying without her supports/documents?

(6.7) In this section, I selected "No" and emphasised why I cannot enclose the Biometric card (as I have an upcoming uni exam that I require to provide my biometric card). I believe that wouldn't effect my application.

* What other necessary documents do I require for this application based on my circumstances?

Thanks everyone

Cheers!
1.15 Married (you are still married)

1.32 Yes. But apply in own right under s 6(1) of BNA; 5 years residence.

6.7 Not good enough reason. Apply via NCS & you can hold onto your BRP.

Read the AN guidance (Gov UK website).

Scorpion786
Newly Registered

Post by Scorpion786 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:04 pm

1.32 Yes. But apply in own right under s 6(1) of BNA; 5 years residence.

6.7 Not good enough reason. Apply via NCS & you can hold onto your BRP.

Read the AN guidance (Gov UK website).
Sorry to drag about it but what are those s 6 (1) of BNA and also NCS stands for?

Thanks

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:26 pm

Scorpion786 wrote:Sorry to drag about it but what are those s 6 (1) of BNA and also NCS stands for?

Thanks
Section 6(1) of British Nationality Act 1981 (BNA) - the relevant law for those applying to naturalise in own right.
Section 6(2) - for spouse application.
See https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... e_2016.pdf

Nationality Checking Service (NCS):
https://www.gov.uk/government/collectio ... ng-service

jonbca

Post by jonbca » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:14 pm

Hi there,

I have a few questions about the AN form.

1. If I submit my form through the NCS, and keep my BRP, do I tick "Yes" or "No" to the question asking if it is enclosed with the application?

2. Do I *really* have to dig up 10 years of P60s and payslips for them to do NIC checks? Some of mine are online. Can I just submit printouts, or do I have to get them stamped and signed by all my ex-employers?

3. Supporting documents Section 5: Do I have to include the Home Office letter granting my ILR, or is my BRP showing ILR sufficient?

Thanks!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:22 pm

jonbca wrote:Hi there,

I have a few questions about the AN form.

1. If I submit my form through the NCS, and keep my BRP, do I tick "Yes" or "No" to the question asking if it is enclosed with the application?

2. Do I *really* have to dig up 10 years of P60s and payslips for them to do NIC checks? Some of mine are online. Can I just submit printouts, or do I have to get them stamped and signed by all my ex-employers?

3. Supporting documents Section 5: Do I have to include the Home Office letter granting my ILR, or is my BRP showing ILR sufficient?

Thanks!
1) Yes

2) No. Who said so?! Not required - HO will check up on you via tax reference if an employee.

3) If you have it submit it (& first rule of UK immigration is 'keep everything - for ever');
otherwise BRP.

jonbca

Post by jonbca » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:26 pm

Thanks for your help, noajthan. The bit about P60s I took from Guide AN, page 8:
1.48- 1.50 You must provide details of all your National Insurance contributions made
for your current and previous employment during the past 10 years. To support this
claim evidence can be in the form of payslips, P60s covering the relevant period, or a
letter(s) from the employer(s) confirming you have worked for them, from the start
and finish date.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:35 pm

jonbca wrote:Thanks for your help, noajthan. The bit about P60s I took from Guide AN, page 8:

Hmm, that's new. Not seen that before. It used to be enough for an employee to give tax reference and that's it.
Good luck with that then.

blinguk

Post by blinguk » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:28 pm

noajthan wrote:
jonbca wrote:Thanks for your help, noajthan. The bit about P60s I took from Guide AN, page 8:

Hmm, that's new. Not seen that before. It used to be enough for an employee to give tax reference and that's it.
Good luck with that then.
updated on
14 June 2016 10:38am
Updated AN booklet and guide. !!!!

jonbca

Post by jonbca » Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:20 pm

Yeah, I saw that. Oddly, the form hasn't been updated since January, and the question it refers to on the form doesn't ask anything about NIC contributions (even though the guidance says that you should list them).

Benji_182
inactive
United States of America

Post by Benji_182 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:46 pm

They have received my application on 08/06/2016.

The new updated Guide and Booklet states to provide 10 years worth of P60 and so on.....

I have provided proof for the last 6-7 years and not like for every single job

Would this be a problem? The guide and booklet was updated after I have sent the AN form :>

demo666
Newly Registered

Post by demo666 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:55 am

hi can you help me please whit Application for Naturalisation
1.3 on page 3
1.3 Please say when you were given indefinite leave to enter/
remain in the UK (not necessary if you are a Commonwealth
citizen with right of abode in the United Kingdom). If you are an
EEA national, a Swiss national or a family member of an EEA
or Swiss national you should read pages 10 to 11 of the Booklet
AN.
- do i have to put date when i arrive, if not who i have to put there.
6,1-6,7
Biometric enrolment do i need to make one or can i just use biometric polish passport?
becouse number its fit

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:35 am

demo666 wrote:hi can you help me please whit Application for Naturalisation
1.3 on page 3
AN.
- do i have to put date when i arrive, if not who i have to put there. Likely the date you attained PR. Have you read the booklet as suggested in the text? Do you have a document certifying your permanent residence?
6,1-6,7
Biometric enrolment do i need to make one or can i just use biometric polish passport? becouse number its fit You don't have a BRP card if you are EU citizen. HO will write to you to enroll your biometrics at the Post Office. Passport is NOT biometric enrollment. Nothing you need to do until HO sends you a letter.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

demo666
Newly Registered

Post by demo666 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:54 am

CR001 wrote:
demo666 wrote:hi can you help me please whit Application for Naturalisation
1.3 on page 3
AN.
- do i have to put date when i arrive, if not who i have to put there. Likely the date you attained PR. Have you read the booklet as suggested in the text? Do you have a document certifying your permanent residence?
-that the problem I don`t have certifying of permanent residence

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:04 am

demo666 wrote:-that the problem I don`t have certifying of permanent residence
If you are on EU migration route you now need mandatory confirmation of PR before applying for privilege of ciizenship.
Suggest get that sorted out first then come back to think about naturalisation.

LoryAndra

Post by LoryAndra » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:22 pm

Dear all,

I plan to apply for citizenship in Sept and I would appreciate your advise regarding the following residence requirement which is not clear to me.

Accord to their guidance notes and booklet "You must have been physically present in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands on the day 5 years before the application is received by the Home Office.For example if your application is received on 20/1/2015 you should have been physically present in the United Kingdom on 21/1/2010." and "2.1 Enter the day you first arrived with a view to staying in the UK on a long-term basis, and the airport or seaport through which you then entered. If this is less than 5 years before the date on which we receive the application, or less than 3 years before this date if you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you might not meet the residence requirement (see page 6 of the Booklet AN) and your application may be unsuccessful."

In my case if I sing and date the application 8 Sept 2016 does it mean I need to be physical present in the UK on the 9 Sept 2011? Does this mean that in my list of dates away it should should I was not away?
And the most important is how the date is calculated? Does it matter the day I sign the application form, lets say 8th Sept or the day it physically reached the Home Office? The reason I am asking is that I want to use a National Checking Service and I read that some of them take a few days to send the application to the Home Office. My concern is what date is important? I am asking this because I was out of the country from 10 Sept 2015 to 17 Sept 2015 and again from 25 Sept to 02 Oct 2015 and I don't want to fail because of this requirement.

Any advice would be highly appreciated!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:32 pm

LoryAndra wrote:Dear all,

I plan to apply for citizenship in Sept and I would appreciate your advise regarding the following residence requirement which is not clear to me.

Accord to their guidance notes and booklet "You must have been physically present in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands on the day 5 years before the application is received by the Home Office.For example if your application is received on 20/1/2015 you should have been physically present in the United Kingdom on 21/1/2010." and "2.1 Enter the day you first arrived with a view to staying in the UK on a long-term basis, and the airport or seaport through which you then entered. If this is less than 5 years before the date on which we receive the application, or less than 3 years before this date if you are married to or the civil partner of a British citizen, you might not meet the residence requirement (see page 6 of the Booklet AN) and your application may be unsuccessful."

In my case if I sing and date the application 8 Sept 2016 does it mean I need to be physical present in the UK on the 9 Sept 2011? Does this mean that in my list of dates away it should should I was not away?
And the most important is how the date is calculated? Does it matter the day I sign the application form, lets say 8th Sept or the day it physically reached the Home Office? The reason I am asking is that I want to use a National Checking Service and I read that some of them take a few days to send the application to the Home Office. My concern is what date is important? I am asking this because I was out of the country from 10 Sept 2015 to 17 Sept 2015 and again from 25 Sept to 02 Oct 2015 and I don't want to fail because of this requirement.

Any advice would be highly appreciated!
The relevant date to work it out is the date you apply. If you apply by post, the date is the date that HO receives your application. If you apply through NCS at the council, it is the date of your NCS appointment which is the date of application and the relevant date. It is not the date you sign the form. On what date are you planning to apply and are you applying by post or through NCS?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

LoryAndra

Post by LoryAndra » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:47 pm

Many thanks for your help!

I plan to apply on the 8th September. I am just waiting for my SAR request to confirm that i acquired PR on the 7th Sept 2015 ( just to make sure I don't get the wrong date and ruin the application). I want to apply via NRC . I also live in Belfast , NI and I need to book flight , hotel etc so I would like to make sure I have all the documents and dates correct. So, all being well I will sign it 8 Sept and put the appointment with NRC on the 8th Sep as well. But I read that sometimes NRC takes a few days to send it to Home Office. I am a bit confused what to do since I was away 10-17 Sept 2015.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:06 pm

LoryAndra wrote:Many thanks for your help!

I plan to apply on the 8th September. I am just waiting for my SAR request to confirm that i acquired PR on the 7th Sept 2015 ( just to make sure I don't get the wrong date and ruin the application). I want to apply via NRC . I also live in Belfast , NI and I need to book flight , hotel etc so I would like to make sure I have all the documents and dates correct. So, all being well I will sign it 8 Sept and put the appointment with NRC on the 8th Sep as well. But I read that sometimes NRC takes a few days to send it to Home Office. I am a bit confused what to do since I was away 10-17 Sept 2015.
If you apply using NCS (not NRC), then the date of application is the date of your NCS appointment. Do you have a document certifying permanent residence?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

LoryAndra

Post by LoryAndra » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:51 pm

Great, thanks for letting me know. This way I will be sure I meet the residence requirement.

I received my PR last week as an EU nationality and today I started to look at the application form and filled it in.