ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Baby born abroad, Father British Citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

SAPHIRELION
Newly Registered

Post by SAPHIRELION » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:00 pm

Hello
I am a British Citizen working as an Expat in Ghana.
I have been engaged to a Ghanaian lady for 7 years now. We recently had a little baby boy, born in Ghana.
Can I apply for a British Passport for him.
Eventually my Fiancee and I will marry and settle in the UK.
I am a propery owner in the UK, so have a permanent address there.

I would greatfully value any advice on this matter.

Regards.
Phil.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:06 pm

How did you get your British citizenship?

SAPHIRELION
Newly Registered

Post by SAPHIRELION » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Hello JAJ.

I was born in the UK, Wales in fact. Both my parents where British, as where my Grand parents.

Regards.
Phil.

jimbo_uk

Post by jimbo_uk » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:31 am

I think as long as you are named on the child's birth certificate - he will be considered a British citizen by descent, and is entitled to a UK passport.

I know that for such children born in New Zealand, you do not need to register anything - you can apply for their Passport straight away. Not sure if it is the same in Ghana.

shs213

Post by shs213 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:18 am

JAJ wrote:How did you get your British citizenship?
Does it matter? I am on ILR now, and hopefully in couple of years I will have Brit PP and live in a different country...

If i becme a father can I not get BC for my children?

jimbo_uk

Post by jimbo_uk » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:46 am

shs213 wrote:
JAJ wrote:How did you get your British citizenship?
Does it matter? I am on ILR now, and hopefully in couple of years I will have Brit PP and live in a different country...

If i becme a father can I not get BC for my children?
It can matter. If the OP was also a 'British Citizen by Descent' themselves - then their children born abroad would not be British. This is different to someone who has naturalised as a British citizen, such people are 'British otherwise than by descent' - so can pass on British Citizenship to children born abroad.

Shs213 - are you planning naturalise as British and then live in a different country? - I am not sure of the exact rules; but I think one of the requirements of naturalisation is that your intentions are to live in the UK.

shs213

Post by shs213 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:09 pm

quote]

Shs213 - are you planning naturalise as British and then live in a different country? - I am not sure of the exact rules; but I think one of the requirements of naturalisation is that your intentions are to live in the UK.[/quote]

It is somehting for the future, nothing is confimred yet... there's dual citizenship option, so i dont think it will really matter....

thanks for your comments...

kbillyng
Newly Registered

Re: Baby born abroad, Father British Citizen

Post by kbillyng » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:38 pm

hello pls advise , i get my leave to reaming in 2010 , i was Naturalisation in 2011 and i get my birth passport in 2012..

I have a son in Nigeria 2009, please can you advise if i can register my son as overseas birth, ? and what can i apply for to get him a right to come to the uk and live with me.

noajthan

Re: Baby born abroad, Father British Citizen

Post by noajthan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:13 pm

kbillyng wrote:hello pls advise , i get my leave to reaming in 2010 , i was Naturalisation in 2011 and i get my birth passport in 2012..

I have a son in Nigeria 2009, please can you advise if i can register my son as overseas birth, ? and what can i apply for to get him a right to come to the uk and live with me.
Registration at discretion of Home Secretary.
Child plus mother usually need to be settled with ILR in UK.

See this similar case:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 94726.html
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.