ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Baby born overseas to british citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

manishmehra1980
Newly Registered

Baby born overseas to british citizen

Post by manishmehra1980 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:13 pm

Hello

I received my british nationality through naturalisation 6 months ago(I was born in India but moved to london and have spent 12 years here)
My wife has an ILR and has an Indian passport. my wife is pregnant and we are moving back to India for 6 months and planning to have our baby delivered in India. and my questions are:

1) Does my child get an automatic british citizenship?
2) What will I need to do to apply for his/her british passport, while in India?
3) Will I need to apply for an Indian passport first for my child and then apply for British?
4) Any idea with regards to how long it may to to get this whole process complete?

I appreciate and thank you in advance for replying to this querying

Manish

asp

Post by asp » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:54 pm

1 As you obtained your BC through naturalisation following periods of leave/ILR your baby will be British wherever he(?) is born, but place of birth makes an important difference for your future grandchildren. If he is born outside the UK then he will be British by descent and will only be able to pass BC on to his own children if they are born in the UK, or they are born abroad while he is serving in Crown Forces or as a British diplomat. If he is born in the UK then his own children will be British wherever they are born.

2 Your passport and his birth certificate are absolutely esential. Would also recommend that you provide your certificate of naturalisation and any HO correspeondence.

3 The sequence of the applications doesn't matter as far as the British are concerned, but if the Indian authorities realise he was born in India and somehow managed to get into the UK without an Indian passport they will realise what you have done. As they don't allow dual nationality they will then refuse to issue him with an Indian passport and may also revoke yours. So if you want him to have both passports you will need to get him an Indian one before you come back to the UK.

4 No idea how long the Indian passport will take but for the British passport allow at least 12 weeks.
http://ukinindia.fco.gov.uk/en/help-for ... KPassport/

Enjoy your sleep while you can!