ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Born and brought up in UK but not accepted as British

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

emmy donaldson
Newly Registered

Born and brought up in UK but not accepted as British

Post by emmy donaldson » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:18 pm

Hello. I am writing out of shear frustration, sadness and utter shame for my children. I was born in the Faroe Islands and brought to the UK when 4yrs old where I have continued to live and work. My paternal grandfather is British. During the war when the Faroes was under British Occupancy he married my grandmother and my father was born, with a British passport. My mother is Faroese.
They married a year after I was born.
When I applied for a British Passport 9yrs ago, assuming I was automatically British (never assume anything my granny used to tell me!) it was declined. I now have a Danish passport and will have to apply for British Citizenship as it expires soon.

This is where the problem begins. My citizenship has been passed onto my children as their British born father, of West African origin, and I never married. They were born and brought up in the UK. When we applied for British passports for them they were declined. They received Danish passports!
My daughter was happy to have a Danish passport as she felt rejected by her own country and ashamed to be British if this is how they view children in her situation. My Son did not want a Danish passport, he was "..British, not Danish". I could not afford at the time, the cost of applying for British nationality for two children.

Their passports have now run out and they have no choice left to them but to apply for citizenship to their country of birth and part heritage and have to pay more than £800 each for the 'privilege'.

We would like to know how this loophole was allowed and why it costs so much to simply fill in an application form on the internet and provide proof of living in the country for the first 10 yrs of ones life.

Not sure if you have covered this but I could do with some help. I feel deeply stressed by this daylight robbery and rejection towards British subjects. Please can you help? Cheers, Emmy. :shock:

Amber
Mood:

Re: Born and brought up in UK but not accepted as British

Post by Amber » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:26 pm

Was your Grandfather serving in the armed forces? What year were you born?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:55 am

emmy donaldson wrote: We would like to know how this loophole was allowed and why it costs so much to simply fill in an application form on the internet and provide proof of living in the country for the first 10 yrs of ones life.
The Home Office has stated on several occasions that the amount it charges for many of its applications is well above the actual cost of processing. They have become a profit center for the government. That's pretty much the end of it. There is no law that states that some government agencies can't operate in the positive. And let's face it, outside of tax collecting agencies, it is the rare government agency anywhere in the world that actually makes money. I guess the only consolidation here is that atleast they offer something. They don't actually have to offer any possibility (as long as none of you would be stateless otherwise).
emmy donaldson wrote:I feel deeply stressed by this daylight robbery and rejection towards British subjects.
The political correctness of today is trying to do away with the concept of 'British Subjects'. This has had real effects on real people though that were perhaps not entirely foreseen. If your children were born in the UK and and have lived the entire first ten years of their life here, they have a lifetime claim to British citizenship for what its worth. Just one thing to note however, the cost of these application has only gone up over the last decade, and there is no reason to believe that trend will change.
emmy donaldson wrote:I now have a Danish passport and will have to apply for British Citizenship as it expires soon.
Your Danish passport expiring has nothing to do with acquiring British Citizenship. Unless you need to travel, you don't need any passport at all. And from what you've said, I don't see any reason why you couldn't expect to apply for and receive another Danish (Faroese or EU) passport. If you are needing to travel urgently, that's your best option, because whatever process you are going to have to go through to get citizenship for yourself (your children should be pretty straightforward) could take a while, as in 6 months or longer. Hopefully experts on here will be able to help through the most efficient approach.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:43 am

Also, when were your children born? If they were born after 1st July 2006, they can inherit British citizenship through the father, even if the parents were not married.

SouthWest1

Post by SouthWest1 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:21 pm

emmy donaldson wrote: I now have a Danish passport and will have to apply for British Citizenship as it expires soon.

Their passports have now run out and they have no choice left to them but to apply for citizenship to their country of birth British subjects. :shock:
hi,
you mentioned in couple of times that the Danish passports for you and your children \re due to expire and you have no other alternative except to apply for BC for the whole family.

Is this sort of a typo or perhaps you can expand? if you and them have Danish passports, you can apply for a new ones once they expire.
i know i am drafting slightly from your question, but the only reason for you to apply for BC is the above as far as i am concerned.