ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship for new born baby born in India

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

pal123
Newly Registered

British citizenship for new born baby born in India

Post by pal123 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:26 pm

Hello all

I was an Indian passport holder who got his Indefinite right to reside in the UK in July 2012.

I got married to my wife, who had an Indian passport, in August 2012. My wife then got a spouse visa for 3 years and she came to the UK in December 2012

My wife fell pregnant in London in May 2013 with the expected date of delivery in January 2014.

I got my British citizenship in July 2013.

My wife was being looked after by her GP and midwives in London and we decided that since we need more family support (we live in the UK on our own) since this was my wife's first delivery. We went to India in October 2013 and I came back dropping my wife to have delivery at her parents' place in India.

My query is that once our child is born in January 2014 will he be eligible for a British citizenship/passport? As at the time of his birth I am a British citizen by naturalisation and at the time of the child's conception I had indefinite right to reside in the UK. How do I go about bringing my child back to the UK with his mother ?

Your advice in this regard would be much appreciated.

Amber
Mood:

Re: British citizenship for new born baby born in India

Post by Amber » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:29 pm

The child will be British when born, by descent if born abroad. A British Passport or CoE can be applied for.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:25 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

bullet0072000
Newly Registered

Post by bullet0072000 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:55 pm

I am I the same situation as yours. But they need original British passport of yours to go with the application. They might keep that for 4 months. So I thought best option would be RoA certificate of entitlement.

Vinnu the moderator has applied for it in the past I think ...looking at other posts but got refused at chennai inspite of being eligible for it. Could you please let us know what happend after the refusal. Did you appeal .

Your reply would be appreciated Vinny.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:08 am

Father's naturalisation certificate (issued prior to child's birth) should be sufficient proof of father's British nationality.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

RajRajRaj
Newly Registered

Post by RajRajRaj » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:57 am

Hi Guys,

I am in the same boat as you. I am going to apply for my child's passport. Both of us are UK citizens with an OCI. Baby born in India. From other posts, the following are the docs that people send.

1) Both parents original Naturalisation certificates
2) copy of both parents British passports. Copy of all pages of baby’s father’s british passport attested by a solicitor in UK as he was not in India at the time of application (Note it has to be attested by a UK solicitor).
3) Parents Marriage certificate
4) Baby's local Municipal Birth Certificate
5) Mother's Delivery Discharge summary certificate from the hospital where the baby is born.
6) Mother's whole medical reports during pregnancy (including antenatal appointment letters, scan reports and any scan pictures). We included medical reports and scans from UK and India.
7) 5 family photographs with the Baby with at least one photograph showing baby with both parents and one with grandparents.
8 ) maternity leave letter from my employer

Is this enough? From the supporting documents that FCO asks, they say things like driving license, letter from a govt organization etc. Are these the UK docs (trying to prove UK identity) or are they asking for docs in India (trying to prove the Indian address).
I called the UK passsport helpline for advise and he was of the opinion that it should be docs from India. But I doubt it. As we live in the UK and go to India only for holidays, we wont have anything to prove the address in India.

Any advise is really appreciated.

Thanks.
Raj.

sanjay45
Newly Registered

Post by sanjay45 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:45 pm

Hello Raj,

My situation is very similar to you.
My application has just been returned back and we have been told to send 4 ID's for parents. One ID should for India address. We do not have any ID for India address as we have been living in the UK. I am awaiting a call from British Passport team in UK. Most likely I will have to explain in a separate sheet that I only visited India for delivery.

Also, can you help me with this query of mine.

I am now in the UK as I flew back after submitting attested colored copy of all the pages of my passport.

Now if I apply again they are asking for original passport. Can I send it by courier to India? also the colored attested copy will be having one stamp less on one of the pages as I flew back from India.

Please any light on this issue will be of great help.

Thanks

We can talk on phone if you want.

Sanjay

RajRajRaj
Newly Registered

Post by RajRajRaj » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:11 pm

You can get your UK passport notarised by a UK based notary. That is recognized internationally and is good as the original passport. Notaries are solicitors with a bit more legality and registration. Just google, you will have lots of them. Shop around, you can get your full passport notarised for £50.

They need 4 IDs? That is crazy!
I will be applying in the next couple of weeks and I dont have any Indian proof as well.

Maybe a covering letter explaining the fact that you just came for delivery would make it easier.

I will send a message to your id here in the forum with my email and number.

Thanks.
Raj.

RajRajRaj
Newly Registered

Post by RajRajRaj » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:32 am

Hi GUys,

A question I have is around the countersignatory on the photo of the child. My child is born in India and my UK passport holder countersignatory (a friend) is in UK and haven't seen the baby in person, only through photos and skype chat.

Can such a person sign be a countersignatory for the child (1 month old)?

Or is it a requirement that the person should have seen the baby in person?

Thanks,
Raj.

britpassport1
Newly Registered

Post by britpassport1 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:01 am

I've been reading on IndiaMike board that some of them have had their application returned due to NOT sending original passport of one of the parent. This is obviously difficult since most of the dad's can only take 2-3 weeks off and have to return back to work in the UK. Have you guys had any such experiences ?

My wife is due to deliver in 4-5 weeks and I'm getting all the documents ready. I plan to get my passport notarised by a UK solicitor. My issue is my OCI is on the old passport - do you know if I have to get both passport submitted in this case ?

I can get 4 ID's from the UK for both parents but getting ID's for India ? This is difficult - I could get a letter from my wife's family that she is staying with them and I'm visiting temporarily.

As for countersignatory - my understanding is they should have physically met the child and known whoever signs the passport application (one of the parents) for at least 2 years. They do not have to be a UK citizen. They can be a commonwealth citizen.

Also, on the application form OS - what address did you fill out in Section 2 ? Is it the UK address of Indian address ?

RajRajRaj
Newly Registered

Post by RajRajRaj » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:10 am

Hi,

You need to get your passport (all pages including blanks) notarised by the UK notary public - not a solicitor.
Notarized copy is accepted worldwide and is as good as the passport. But an attested copy by the UK solicitor is not.

I am not sure what address to keep. I think I will have to keep the Indian address as the passport will be sent back to that address. I am thinking of putting a covering letter explaining that we live and work in the UK permanently and come to India only to have the baby. And hence we dont have any Indian proof of addresses. Hope that will work.

If a commonwealth citizen is the countersignatory, it will take too long for them to process. I am going ahead with a friend of mine who is a UK citizen, but has not seen the baby face to face.

Anyone with experience around this area, please post your thoughts.

Thanks.

rajfromkolkata
Newly Registered

Post by rajfromkolkata » Fri May 16, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi Guys, similar issue out here. Please advice

I am in UK and hoping to get my naturalisation ceremony certificate in July 2014 and we are expecting a baby in August 2014 and mother and baby are in India. If I fly with my Indian passport and naturalisation certificate, can I apply for my baby's british passport from India?

sandeep_195
Newly Registered

Post by sandeep_195 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:16 am

Hi Guys

I am new to this forum. Well, I applied for child's British Citizenship from India 3 times already (was in India and applied with both the British Original Passport) and each time they return for seperate reasons.
The reasons were :
1. Anti natal records were not enough
2. Counter signatory was incorrect - not sure why
3. They need an Indian address proof

Now, I had to come back to London as I could not spend more time with them.

Now, I am confused of what steps needs taken in terms of my original passport, shall I just get a notarized one or these days notarized copies are not enough ?

Kindly confirm, as am planning to apply it again soon.

Thanks
Sandeep

pal123
Newly Registered

Post by pal123 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:32 pm

Hi
We applied for our child's (born in India) first British passport from India in February this year. They received the application in Liverpool on 11th March 2014.

We were invited for an interview on 3rd July at the New Delhi British High Commission. We were told at the time of interview that this is the last step of the process.

Today, it's the 23rd July and we still haven't heard anything back from them. When I contact them they keep saying that the application is undergoing routine security checks and they do not give a date.

Does anyone know how long does it take normally for the passport to go out for printing after the interview has taken place?

Thanks