ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship – Good Character Requirement FAQs

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

noajthan

Re: British Citizenship – Good Character Requirement FAQs

Post by noajthan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:51 am

foufou wrote:
blue123 wrote:On the application form you are asked if you were employed and any checks would have shown my tax goes back forever so a bit point less to lie.
if all overstayed migrants declared about their working history , no one will be British :D :D even if u don't declared it you only get same 10 years ban but just if they find out so I think is point less if u say the truth
Applicants also have to sign the legally binding Declaration vouching for the completeness and veracity of their application.
Any misrepresentation, suppression or misrepresentation of material facts (etc etc) is simply storing up a world of pain.

All HO has to do is sit and wait & crosscheck & sit and wait and run audit checks & sit & wait.
Plenty of examples to be found in the forum.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:40 pm

foufou wrote:
blue123 wrote:On the application form you are asked if you were employed and any checks would have shown my tax goes back forever so a bit point less to lie.
if all overstayed migrants declared about their working history , no one will be British :D :D even if u don't declared it you only get same 10 years ban but just if they find out so I think is point less if u say the truth

You are (a) dishonest and (b) not very clever.

If you were working illegally until 2011, you can apply for nationality in 2021.

If you lie now, you will be banned until 2026.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

blue123
Newly Registered

Post by blue123 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:49 pm

Noajthan. : thanks for your response. I do I agree with your statement. There is no point in in making a misrepresentation when surely checks can show the truth. Its been very interesting to read other peoples stories.
Although they denied my application all's not lost.
Will see what tomorrow brings.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:04 pm

blue123 wrote:Noajthan. : thanks for your response. I do I agree with your statement. There is no point in in making a misrepresentation when surely checks can show the truth. Its been very interesting to read other peoples stories.
Well good luck.

blue123
Newly Registered

Post by blue123 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:49 pm

Is there any point in applying for reconsideration using Alvin vs Secretary of state. I phoned a few solicitors and minimum consultation is £175 that before asking them to take me case. I have just spent £1000 on submitting my application in July. 2015. I did get the refusal after7 myths which was good going.

Is it worth asking for a reconsideration seeing as the refusal was based on information that I declared when I applied for asylum or are they treated separately?????????????. Ties information being I was employed when I wasn't meant to be. However stopped working to go through process with no recourse to public funds.
Can anyone help?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:10 pm

blue123 wrote:Is there any point in applying for reconsideration using Alvin vs Secretary of state. I phoned a few solicitors and minimum consultation is £175 that before asking them to take me case. I have just spent £1000 on submitting my application in July. 2015. I did get the refusal after7 myths which was good going.

Is it worth asking for a reconsideration seeing as the refusal was based on information that I declared when I applied for asylum or are they treated separately?????????????. Ties information being I was employed when I wasn't meant to be. However stopped working to go through process with no recourse to public funds.
Can anyone help?
You are unlikely to get a positive result if you ask for a reconsideration. You declared you worked illegally. Nothing is treated 'separately'. HO look at everything. End of.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sylvia532

Post by sylvia532 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:19 pm

Hi
Dear moderators and gurus. Are all replies to frequently asked questions posted on the first page of this thread still valid? I'm particularly interested the answer to question 11 regarding FPNs:

Q11 - Should I declare my conviction even if it is spent?

You should declare all spent and unspent convictions. You should also include information relating to any FPNs (that are still on your licence or have been given in the last 12 months) and Fiscal Fines. If you have any endorsements on your driving licence you must provide the paper counterpart.

Do we still have to declare only FPNs which are still on your licence or have been given in the last 12 months? Perhaps regulations have changed and now we have to declare also FPNs which were given more than 3 years ago are not on the license anymore? Could someone please advise?

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:03 am

blue123 wrote:Noajthan. : thanks for your response. I do I agree with your statement. There is no point in in making a misrepresentation when surely checks can show the truth. Its been very interesting to read other peoples stories.
True
But how did you get this far.... Surely they would have checked your history when you applied for your ILR

I mean illegally working is not something which HO accepts...
So are they going to revoke your ILR in this case???

Rassel

Post by Rassel » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:09 am

For illegal works and overstay H/O is not revoke ILR. Just refuse in 'Good Character' ground.
if you falsify your document to get ILR then they will.
But in blue123 case he can apply in 2019 as he mention.
There is no chance win before 2019.
saanju9 wrote:
True
But how did you get this far.... Surely they would have checked your history when you applied for your ILR

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:26 pm

Rassel wrote:For illegal works and overstay H/O is not revoke ILR. Just refuse in 'Good Character' ground.
if you falsify your document to get ILR then they will.
But in blue123 case he can apply in 2019 as he mention.
There is no chance win before 2019.
saanju9 wrote:
True

Well Rassel... Illegal work and Overstay are considered to be bad character even for ILR... So my point is .. how did this person got pass through ILR...
If he had, is it without deception??? ... and if it is with deception then that contradicts your argument ...right???

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:34 pm

saanju9 wrote:Well Rassel... Illegal work and Overstay are considered to be bad character even for ILR... So my point is .. how did this person got pass through ILR...
If he had, is it without deception??? ... and if it is with deception then that contradicts your argument ...right???
Nationality LAW and Immigration RULES are two very separate and different things.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:37 pm

If you got ILR under the old 14 year unlawful residence rule, or discretionary leave for human rights, or paragraph 276ADE(vi), or ILR after the legacy programme, all of those could well involve (almost certainly did) illegal working.
I am not, and cannot, offer legal advice to particular people. I can only discuss general areas of immigration law.

People should always consider obtaining professional advice about their own particular circumstances.

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:04 pm

Fair Enough

Rassel

Post by Rassel » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:07 pm

Thanks CR001 n avjones
thats i'm saying.
CR001 wrote:
saanju9 wrote:Well Rassel... Illegal work and Overstay are considered to be bad character even for ILR... So my point is .. how did this person got pass through ILR...
Nationality LAW and Immigration RULES are two very separate and different things.

SHAHZAD7861
Newly Registered

Post by SHAHZAD7861 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:13 am

SHAHZAD7861 wrote:
Raza.raja wrote:Hello shehzad you have to make sure that you mention everything in your application form cautions,and your points if you try to hide something they will put your case under defamation and yeah it's called acro police subject access report you can apply online they charge you 10£ for it and if the points were given in 2014 I guess it should b fine wish you good luck
Thanks Raza
Hi again,

I would also like to get a clarity on few more elements which may also effect the application.
I have seen at numerous posts where it states that if you have any PCN in the last 12 months then declare it (I have however, read guidelines and booklet and cant find anything regarding 12 months anywhere). Can i find a link or something?

Also, do i need to mention all FPN's and PCN's i ever received?

I have 2 PCN issued in the last year and paid off and some more in the previous years which i dont really remember when but they all are paid off. Do i need to declare them all and if so from where can i get the information about the PCN history.

Currently, i have 3 points but i yet to confirm my FPN history from DVLA . It could be 3 or 4 .Do i need to declare them all and how badly they can effect the applicqtion if 4 in last 10 years?

Please advise.

Best Regards.

Rassel

Post by Rassel » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:29 pm

Home office will check everything during this time, so better to declare it.
FPN's and PCN is not a major mistake, but if you try to hide they can banned for 10 years.
One applicant shows his point and FPN and he received his approval last year.
Numerous FPN's and PCN on one year will impact your case. But still its depend on Case worker too.
SHAHZAD7861 wrote:
SHAHZAD7861 wrote:
Raza.raja wrote:Hello shehzad you have to make sure that you mention everything in your application form cautions,and your points if you try to hide something they will put your case under defamation and yeah it's called acro police subject access report you can apply online they charge you 10£ for it and if the points were given in 2014 I guess it should b fine wish you good luck
Thanks Raza
Hi again,

I would also like to get a clarity on few more elements which may also effect the application.
I have seen at numerous posts where it states that if you have any PCN in the last 12 months then declare it (I have however, read guidelines and booklet and cant find anything regarding 12 months anywhere). Can i find a link or something?

I have 2 PCN issued in the last year and paid off and some more in the previous years which i dont really remember when but they all are paid off. Do i need to declare them all and if so from where can i get the information about the PCN history.

Currently, i have 3 points but i yet to confirm my FPN history from DVLA . It could be 3 or 4 .Do i need to declare them all and how badly they can effect the applicqtion if 4 in last 10 years?

Please advise.

Best Regards.

imi99999
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by imi99999 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:31 pm

SHAHZAD7861 wrote:
SHAHZAD7861 wrote:
Thanks Raza
Hi again,

Please advise.

Best Regards.
I had applied Acro Police SARS. It states

" There is no information held about you on the PNC"
" This document doesn't constitute a certificate of good character "
Should I assume that I have no cautions or criminal record to declare on naturalisation application.
I once by mistake jumped filtered right turn light and went straight. Police check my license with there system and advised me of be more careful but no action was taken as that was a pure mistake.
I thought this advice may constitute as caution.

Macedon
Newly Registered

Post by Macedon » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:35 pm

Hi All,

I have been reading and reading about the good character requirements and I get scared.
Basically I am in the country since Jul 2005 because I was dependant on my ex work permit when she changed her visa into ILR they changed mine too. ILR received March 2007. In 2006 both me and my ex after an argument in which she scratched my neck and I spit her we end up arrested and released with caution for battery. In 2010 we get divorced because we had a "brilliant" relationship and I was caught for speeding in Feb-Mar 2010. Result from my speeding was 6 pints and fine of £250. I have done a charity work, support the local community from 2012 as part of the local round table.
I don't see my self as person with bad character but dont know how the case worker will see me in their eyes.

I will appreciate if anyone give their opinion on my case.

Many thanks

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:41 pm

Macedon wrote:Hi All,

I have been reading and reading about the good character requirements and I get scared.
Basically I am in the country since Jul 2005 because I was dependant on my ex work permit when she changed her visa into ILR they changed mine too. ILR received March 2007. In 2006 both me and my ex after an argument in which she scratched my neck and I spit her we end up arrested and released with caution for battery. In 2010 we get divorced because we had a "brilliant" relationship and I was caught for speeding in Feb-Mar 2010. Result from my speeding was 6 pints and fine of £250. I have done a charity work, support the local community from 2012 as part of the local round table.
I don't see my self as person with bad character but dont know how the case worker will see me in their eyes.

Many thanks
It doesn't matter what I think.

You can read HO guidance to see how a HO caseworker is likely to weigh up & assess your case:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _D_v02.pdf

Macedon
Newly Registered

Post by Macedon » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:54 pm

noajthan wrote:
Macedon wrote:Hi All,

Many thanks
It doesn't matter what I think.

You can read HO guidance to see how a HO caseworker is likely to weigh up & assess your case:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _D_v02.pdf

I was wondering if anyone had a similar situation and were they granted citizenship. How likely is my application to be approved giving my circumstances. It has been 10 years since my caution and 5,5 since my speeding conviction.

mercuree
Mood:
South Africa

Post by mercuree » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:52 am

Hi All,

I was arrested for drunk driving 9 months ago. I have since been assigned a probation officer and will be doing a "diversion program" whereby I do community service for one month, after which all charges are dropped, and I do not get a criminal record (so is this then exempt? as it will not appear on my criminal record?). There was another issue where I missed the payment date, and resulting court date for another fine. Upon realising such, I immediately paid the fine as well as extra administration fees and the warrant for my arrest was dropped. If this, too, does not appear on my record, will it cause problems?

This is the first time I have ever been in court other than as a witness to another crime.

Would this count against me when I apply? I believe it would be considered an "out of court disposal"? Does this mean that I should wait 3 years to apply for my passport? Also I believe that one has to declare traffic fines? Even if they were paid timeously? I cannot recall how many I have had over the years. But not many, and for various things. Mostly minor offences though (i.e. forgetting driver's license at home, but procuring it later upon payment) etc.

Also I am looking into applying for a standard visitor's visa in the coming months, to go visit my father in the UK (for less than a month long stay). Would they be likely to deny the visa based on these grounds?

Many Thanks

avjones
Diamond Member

Post by avjones » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:09 am

If you need a visa to come to the UK, are you sure that you are able to obtain British Citizenship?

ohara
Diamond Member

Post by ohara » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:47 am

mercuree wrote:Hi All,

I was arrested for drunk driving 9 months ago. I have since been assigned a probation officer and will be doing a "diversion program" whereby I do community service for one month, after which all charges are dropped, and I do not get a criminal record (so is this then exempt? as it will not appear on my criminal record?). There was another issue where I missed the payment date, and resulting court date for another fine. Upon realising such, I immediately paid the fine as well as extra administration fees and the warrant for my arrest was dropped. If this, too, does not appear on my record, will it cause problems?

This is the first time I have ever been in court other than as a witness to another crime.

Would this count against me when I apply? I believe it would be considered an "out of court disposal"? Does this mean that I should wait 3 years to apply for my passport? Also I believe that one has to declare traffic fines? Even if they were paid timeously? I cannot recall how many I have had over the years. But not many, and for various things. Mostly minor offences though (i.e. forgetting driver's license at home, but procuring it later upon payment) etc.

Also I am looking into applying for a standard visitor's visa in the coming months, to go visit my father in the UK (for less than a month long stay). Would they be likely to deny the visa based on these grounds?

Many Thanks
Which country did these occur in? It doesn't sound like you are talking about the UK...I have never heard of a "diversion program" and drink driving carries a mandatory 12 month disqualification in the UK, which I believe can be reduced to 9 months on completion of a rehabilitation course. You still get a criminal record and it is regarded as a serious criminal offence. The first bunch of results on Google for this link to New Zealand websites, and you also talk about a "drivers license" like an American. In the UK it is called a driving licence. :shock:

Dec17

Post by Dec17 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:11 am

Hi guys I am due to apply naturalisation 1 st week of April ,I have 2 default account in my credit file apart from these I don't have any issues I already agreed the the payment plan and making regular payments now . Do I need to declare default account in my application ?? Does this affect my good character requirements ?? I am waiting for your kind replay . Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:24 am

Dec17 wrote:Hi guys I am due to apply naturalisation 1 st week of April ,I have 2 default account in my credit file apart from these I don't have any issues I already agreed the the payment plan and making regular payments now . Do I need to declare default account in my application ?? Does this affect my good character requirements ?? I am waiting for your kind replay . Thank you
As long as you don't have a CCJ and you are sticking to your payment plan, you should be fine.
Char (CR001 not Casa)