ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship – Good Character Requirement FAQs

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

123james123
Newly Registered

Re: British Citizenship – Good Character Requirement FAQs

Post by 123james123 » Tue May 20, 2014 6:19 pm

Hello,

What happens if one receives a police caution after citizenship application is approved but before attending the citizenship ceremony. I assume that once the citizenship application is approved, and the letter is received, then the good character requirements are no longer relevant. Is that correct?

Many thanks

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed May 21, 2014 10:51 am

I would think so, although, if you were to inform them as you're not British until the ceremony, they would likely remove the certificate and re-evaluate your case - rejection.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

karla67
Newly Registered

Post by karla67 » Thu May 22, 2014 4:20 pm

hi ,Amber
You are right: CRO is not conviction but it could be seen as a out of court disposal (must waiting 3 year to apply).
my question: your 2rd option : (-Do not declare the CRO and see what the HO decide) means HO can decid to lose fee £ 906 and rejection citizenship for a 10 year??

Nowrong
Newly Registered

Post by Nowrong » Tue May 27, 2014 11:37 am

hi, karla67.
I can advice your friend to wait 3 years to apply for BC, (Yes, her CRO is very small offence as a out of court disposal & not conviction, but that is the safe way and better for safe £ 906 fees + No rejection BC for a 10 years).
Amber was not right to tell you: (....but for a possible disclosure on 3.18 which, is subjective.) because GUIDE AN say: (...For the purpose of answering questions 3.14 to 3.18 the Booklet AN provides guidance on
actions which may constitute genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes....)
So, a CRO is never among anther activity as genocide...
Well, this forum is not a substitute for professional advice. So anybody can give wrong things. Maybe my advice to your friend is wrong too, but the best option and the safest on the hands?
Good luck for your friend.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue May 27, 2014 10:13 pm

I was right because you'll find I referred to 3.19 for which you should re-read the guidance.

Nowrong and Karla, considering you are the same person, I've got a good mind to ban you both.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Rahul008
Newly Registered

Post by Rahul008 » Thu May 29, 2014 9:51 am

Hello
I'm applying for British Naturalization and have 2 questions:
1) FOr about 2.5 years I was sharing room with a friend who owned that house. I'm not sure if he included my in the council tax. Will this be problem for me for my naturalization? During this time I was constantly traveling to EU countries every week (Mon-Thur or Mon-Fri) for Business visits. Now I'm paying council tax as I have rented it since 1.8 years and also previously for 1.2 years.

2) I'm a divorcees but married again now. I was divorced in India on mutual basis so no charges were against me and it was due to incompatibility.

Will these two factors affect my naturalization application?

viki83

Post by viki83 » Thu May 29, 2014 11:04 am

I need to inquire about my friend who will be applying for citizenship soon.

He was recently arrested for alleged domestic violence and released next day without any charge and "no further action". He was then issued with a DVPN (Domestic Violence Protection Notice) and later a DVPO (Domestic Violence Protection Order) by magistrates court which prohibits entering the house and meeting alleged victim for 28 days. HE WAS NOT CHARGED OR GIVEN ANY FORMAL CAUTION.

Please can some senior member comment how this affects naturalization application ?

Does this come under 3 year waiting period to apply ?

Does this need to be mentioned on application form question "Have you ever engaged in any other activities which might indicate that you may not be considered a person of good character"

As there was no conviction or trial or caution, can this be a ground for refusal ?

bipsan

Post by bipsan » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:15 pm

Hi Amber...

Thanks for all your valuable information and guidance to forum users and members.
As per your advice any one can check about CCJ registered on his/her name by visiting http://www.trustonline.org.uk/
But this website is asking person name and address?
Now here if person has changed several addresses in last few years then which address should mention?
Guess the current one? But when the website ll search the records for the person ll only search on current address and not old addresses.
If the person had made financials defaults on any other address and later he/she shifted to another new address.

would the website http://www.trustonline.org.uk/ keep all the records on the search criteria NAME? gives you correct information?

For citizenship application assessment UKBA uses http://www.trustonline.org.uk/ or http://www.experian.co.uk/

I guess Trust online shows only any CCJ on records but Experian shows CCJ and defaults status both?

Looking forward you..

BS

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

I guess you could do both. The Home Office doesn't do credit checks.

viki83

Post by viki83 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:19 am

Hi Amber,

Please can you or any expert reply to my query. I'll be grateful !

I need to inquire about my friend who will be applying for citizenship soon.

He was recently arrested for alleged domestic violence and released next day without any charge and "no further action". He was then issued with a DVPN (Domestic Violence Protection Notice) and later a DVPO (Domestic Violence Protection Order) by magistrates court which prohibits entering the house and meeting alleged victim for 28 days. HE WAS NOT CHARGED OR GIVEN ANY FORMAL CAUTION.

Please can some senior member comment how this affects naturalization application ?

Does this come under 3 year waiting period to apply ?

Does this need to be mentioned on application form question "Have you ever engaged in any other activities which might indicate that you may not be considered a person of good character"

As there was no conviction or trial or caution, can this be a ground for refusal ?

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:50 am

DVPOs are a new civil provision so should not come under a non-custodial conviction.

It could come under .19 questions but that's a subjective question.

viki83

Post by viki83 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:04 pm

Thanks for your reply Amber.

Main concern is does it need to be mentioned in the application form question "Anything else you consider that makes you not having good character ?" or anywhere else on the application ? If it is not mentioned, does it come under hiding information and 10 year ban thing ?

black_bird

Post by black_bird » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:14 pm

Hi Amber!

Sorry a bit late to discover this post.... but my NSC is tomorrow lunch time..... :-o

My questions:
1. Sep 2013 I received a summon letter for council tax in arrears (went on holiday and forgot to update council with new debit card details). I can not find the letter now but from my memory I saw the letter after the court hearing took place, I paid £85 fines (was it summon cost?) and paid up the outstanding council tax.
I tried to check with magistrate court and council, but they cant tell me if a liability order has been issued, or if I was pleaded guilty.

Now do I fill this under civil penalty section and provide evidence that tax are paid in full, will this cause any trouble? Would I need to wait 3 years to apply? Or perhaps I could declare it in the additional information section? Or do I need to declare at all? If they refuse my application because of this, do I need to wait anther 3 years before I can apply?

2. I cycled across the red light in Jan and got fined by police £50 on the spot, I paid it off online within required time frame. Since it was dealt with outside of the court I dont need to declare it?

hopefully you might find time to reply before my NSC tomorrow? Thanks a million!

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:59 pm

viki83, it's up to you whether you wish to declare it on .19, there should be no 10 year ban either way, unless you have a conviction or caution.

black_bird, a CT summons is neither a CCJ or a conviction, so shouldn't need declaring, just make sure any arrears are being paid or settled, the police fine is also not an issue.

shadi.hattab
Newly Registered

Post by shadi.hattab » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:39 am

I applied for British citizenship without knowing that i have conviction and i didn't know that driving without insurance is conviction and when home office replied to me they said i have to wait 10 years because you didn't closed the conviction to us ,,,my question is can i appeal and apply again and tell them I dident know that and they will take that in count ..and what is chance to accpete it

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:00 pm

How can you not know you have a conviction, do explain.

black_bird

Post by black_bird » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:19 am

Amber_ wrote:viki83, it's up to you whether you wish to declare it on .19, there should be no 10 year ban either way, unless you have a conviction or caution.

black_bird, a CT summons is neither a CCJ or a conviction, so shouldn't need declaring, just make sure any arrears are being paid or settled, the police fine is also not an issue.
Hi Amber, thank you so much for replying, highly appreciated :) I handed my form yesterday so fingers crossed! I will post my timeline later in the other post.

Rahul008
Newly Registered

Post by Rahul008 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:47 pm

Hello
I'm applying for British Naturalization and have 2 questions:
1) For about 2.5 years I was sharing room with a friend who owned that house. I didn't have to pay any utility bills including council tax. Will this be problem for me for my naturalization? During this time I was constantly traveling to EU countries every week (Mon-Thur or Mon-Fri) for Business visits.
Currently, I'm renting a place and I'm paying council tax as I have rented it since 1.8 years and also previously for 1.2 years when i was renting another place.

2) I'm a divorcees but married again now. I was divorced in India on mutual basis so no charges were against me and it was due to incompatibility. Will this be a problem too?

Will these two factors affect my naturalization application? Please help give your advise.

ANDREW34
Newly Registered

Post by ANDREW34 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:34 pm

Hey guys,

Urgently seeking an advice in regards with the WARNING letter i was given at the UK airport by Hm customs officers...

i brought some food products from non-eu country and i was issued a warning letter .. Do i have to declare this under 3.10 as asking if we received any cautions warning or reprimands ....?????

please give advise as soon as possible ...

I called HO: THEY SAID WARNINGS THAT ARE RECORDED ON PERSON'S CRIMINAL RECORD.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHETHER IT GOES TO CRIMINAL RECORD..

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:13 pm

When you are told no, why do you keep asking?

bipsan

Post by bipsan » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:31 pm

Hi..
I heard warning are kept on personal records as criminal for 6 months and if same incidence happen with same person it goes to permanent records system else it remain on temp.records for 6 months since the first incidents.

Please double check this info.

ANDREW34 wrote:Hey guys,

Urgently seeking an advice in regards with the WARNING letter i was given at the UK airport by Hm customs officers...

i brought some food products from non-eu country and i was issued a warning letter .. Do i have to declare this under 3.10 as asking if we received any cautions warning or reprimands ....?????

please give advise as soon as possible ...

I called HO: THEY SAID WARNINGS THAT ARE RECORDED ON PERSON'S CRIMINAL RECORD.

I HAVE NO IDEA WHETHER IT GOES TO CRIMINAL RECORD..

Pfodder
Newly Registered

Post by Pfodder » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:06 am

Hello,

In regard to UK citizenship, applicants must disclose any civil judgments against. My sole potentially relevant experience involves a motor vehicle accident in the UK, between myself on a motorcycle, and the driver of a car. Although my insurance company handled the entire process (in 2012). I am aware that the driver successfully won a claim against me, which was represented through the courts, and paid out by my insurer (Aviva). Would this constitute a civil judgment against me, to be necessarily disclosed with my forthcoming application to be registered as a UK citizen?

Thank You.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:28 am

You could declare it, it should have no bearing on the case.

aqib.khan
Newly Registered

Post by aqib.khan » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:48 pm

Hi Amber,

This is a really helpful article. however I shall be thankful if you please help?

I am due for naturalization in January 2015.
last week I was charged with common assault as I slapped someone as a reaction when they slapped me, police came and charged both parties.
now I have a hearing. under what circumstances/outcome will effect my naturalization?

possible outcomes:
1. if I am convicted I understand it will be delayed for around 3 years.
2. if we do out of court settlement and case is dismissed?
3. if i am found not guilty?

many thanks in advance

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:09 pm

If you slapped someone back, should that not be self-defence? 3 should have no effect, 2 would be subject to whether you are given an out-of-court disposal such as a simple caution.