ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship help and advice please

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Lols06
Newly Registered

British Citizenship help and advice please

Post by Lols06 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:40 pm

Hi everyone,

Needing some advice with regard to applying for UK Citizenship:

Been with Partner (now fiance) for 9 and half years, living together for 7 and a half years.
Came to UK in July 2010 on Unmarried Partner Visa - granted under the old rules.
I am a South African and my fiance is a British Citizen
Got my ILR October last year (2013).
On the 10th of July this year I will have been living in the UK for exactly 3 years.
Getting married on the 30th of June.

I have just found out that you are eligible to apply for UK Citizenship after 3 years provided that you are married to a UK Citizen.

Would I be eligible to apply for UK citizenship straight after getting married (provided that it is three years from the day that I initially entered the UK to live)?

Secondly, if we used the NCS are you able to travel abroad after you have submitted the application.

Many thanks for your help! :D

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship help and advice please

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:53 pm

Yes, once you meet the 3 year residence requirement and are married to a British Citizen, you can apply for citizenship. FAQs link below

http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 95747.html

Using NCS means you get to keep your original documents so yes, you will be able to travel.

Also, if you wish to retain your South African citizenship, there are other processes that need to be done otherwise you automatically lose it by gaining British citizenship.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.