ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Abarthturbo
Newly Registered

British citizenship questions

Post by Abarthturbo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:36 pm

Hi

Firstly I would like to thank this board and moderators for all the advice given throughout our journey.

Our British citizenship approved.
Eligibility criteria: 01/2006 Ancestry 5yrs + 01/2011 ILR + 02/2012 Family Joint AN + MN1
As per the application we are South African citizens all born in South Africa.
Fixed penalty notice SP30, 3 points, £60, not issued in court DECLARED, did not declare 2 Parking charge notices received 09/2011.

Dual citizenship: Applied 09/2011 for retention of South African citizenship for adults only.

I have 3 question as I am thinking way ahead....

Our son aged 10 born in South Africa MN1 application was approved as part of a family application.
1) Will my sons children or grand children if born outside the UK have any claim to British citizenship.

We also have a new baby born in the Uk Jan 2012 whilst having ILR.
I understand he is british by birth and we need to apply for his passport.
2) Does it make a difference whether we apply now for his British passport or should we wait for our naturalisation certificate.

If he has children and grand children born outside the uK.
3) Will his children or grand children if born outside the UK have any claim to British citizenship.

I am trying to understand if there is a differece as one is British born and the other naturalised.

Thanking you in advance.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:50 pm

Both citizenship through naturalisation/Registration and citizenship from birth (if born in the UK) are considered "otherwise than by decent" and they can pass their citizenship to their children even if born outside the UK. This only applies for the next generation. Grandchildren, if born abroad to parents who were born abroad, will not be automatically British.

It doesn't matter if you apply now or later for the UK passport for the child born after ILR as long as you can prove you had ILR before his birth (i.e. you got the passports with you).

Abarthturbo
Newly Registered

Post by Abarthturbo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:56 pm

Hi Jambo thanks for your quick response.

I understand now the difference between "by decent" and "otherwise by decent".

Regards