ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport for daughter born 1952 of British mother

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

A M T
Newly Registered

British Passport for daughter born 1952 of British mother

Post by A M T » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:02 pm

My mother was born in the UK in 1913. She came to South Africa in
1919. I was born in 1952 and have resided in South Africa up to date. I have been told that I could now be eligible for a British passport.

Can anybody give me any more detail and if this is correct?

Thanks

John

Post by John » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:21 pm

I have been told that I could now be eligible for a British passport.
Actually no! But from sometime in January .... yes!

A couple of webpages for you to read. Firstly .... this one ...... which explains the changes. See the page includes :-
A person who has a British mother currently has a right to register as a British citizen under section 4C of the British Nationality Act 1981 if:
he or she was born between 7 February 1961 and 1 January 1983; and
he or she would have become a British citizen if women had been able to pass on citizenship in the same way as men at that time.

The new Act extends the provisions of section 4C to those born before 1961
So having read and understood that .... that you need to wait until the change to the law happens in January .... now read ..... this page ..... which explains about the current provisions, which as you know know will have their date range extended in January .... and then cover you.

Also click the "How to apply under the UKM category" link on the right of that page.
John

A M T
Newly Registered

Post by A M T » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:40 pm

Many thanks for the prompt reply. I will down load the form and wait until Jan 2010.
Regards
A M T