ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I apply for Naturalisation if I am in the UK for 7 Years

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kasif
Newly Registered

Can I apply for Naturalisation if I am in the UK for 7 Years

Post by kasif » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:16 pm

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I hope you are doing well.

I have couple of queries regarding Naturalisation, hope you will answer them.

I entered in the UK in September 2004 as a Student and in March 2007 I have got HSMP visa which then extended and based on that last week I have got my Indefinite Leave to Remain(ILR).

I am wondering about the requirement to apply for Naturalisation because I heard from my friends and solicitors that I am eligible to apply for it now because I have been in the Country for more than 7 years ( 3 Years Student + 4 Years HSMP).

Can you please confirm me if it is possible to apply for the Naturalisation now or do I need to wait for another 1 year?

I will be very grateful to you if you could please answer these questions.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanking you in advance.

Kind Regards
Iqbal

lanr3e

Re: Can I apply for Naturalisation if I am in the UK for 7 Y

Post by lanr3e » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:26 pm

kasif wrote:Good Afternoon Everyone,

I hope you are doing well.

I have couple of queries regarding Naturalisation, hope you will answer them.

I entered in the UK in September 2004 as a Student and in March 2007 I have got HSMP visa which then extended and based on that last week I have got my Indefinite Leave to Remain(ILR).

I am wondering about the requirement to apply for Naturalisation because I heard from my friends and solicitors that I am eligible to apply for it now because I have been in the Country for more than 7 years ( 3 Years Student + 4 Years HSMP).

Can you please confirm me if it is possible to apply for the Naturalisation now or do I need to wait for another 1 year?

I will be very grateful to you if you could please answer these questions.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanking you in advance.

Kind Regards
Iqbal
How were you able to apply for settlement after being on HSMP for 4 years? Going by the rules, HSMP JR does not apply to you.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:06 pm

kasif wrote:I am wondering about the requirement to apply for Naturalisation because I heard from my friends and solicitors that I am eligible to apply for it now because I have been in the Country for more than 7 years ( 3 Years Student + 4 Years HSMP).
Unless married to a British citizen, you may apply for naturalisation only as and when you fulfil the standard requirements, one of which is that you should have been free from immigration time restrictions during the last 12 months of the residential qualifying period.

regards

mishbha
Newly Registered

Post by mishbha » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:43 am

sushdmehta wrote: Unless married to a British citizen, you may apply for naturalisation only as and when you fulfil the standard requirements, one of which is that you should have been free from immigration time restrictions during the last 12 months of the residential qualifying period.

regards
Hi Sushdmehta,
Is there a different rule if your spouse is British? Spouse of a British Citizen is not required to fulfill the standard requirements for Naturalisation?
Thanks

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:52 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mishbha
Newly Registered

Post by mishbha » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:13 pm

Thanks Vinny.
I'm a bit confused about the requirements mentioned for spouse of British Citizen. If my husband becomes a British citizen since he is in the process of applying for his naturalisation, then after that can I apply for my naturalisation? I have been in the UK for 5-6 years now on WP and then switched to Spouse visa last year, and hence satisfy the Residential requirements. So can I apply for naturalisation after my husband becomes a British Citizen without the need to get an ILR next year and wiating for another year for Naturalisation? 7 points do not include immigration time restrictions, but is mentioned in the notes towards the end of the page(from the link you posted). Even if that is required, can I apply for Naturalisation as soon as I get ILR?
I hope I have explained my query properly.
Thanks

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:31 pm

mishbha wrote:So can I apply for naturalisation after my husband becomes a British Citizen without the need to get an ILR next year
No. Having settled status (ILR in your case) is one of the mandatory requirement.
mishbha wrote:can I apply for Naturalisation as soon as I get ILR?
Yes, if you fulfil the requirements.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!