ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Rules for BC application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

aa927

Child Rules for BC application

Post by aa927 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:49 am

Hi,

Chid 1: 12 years old, born abroad, lived in UK since 2.5 years old. Has ILR.
Child 2: 8 years old, born in UK, has ILR, born before parents got ILR
Child 3: 3 years old, born abroad, has ILR, born after parents got ILR
Child 4: not yet born but will be born in UK, parents have ILR

So for child 4 I can apply for BC directly, correct?
For Child 2, who was born in the UK and we got ILR after, then I need to apply via MN1?

What about the other two kids? Child 3 we already had ILR but he was born abroad. Child 1 was born abroad before we relocated to the UK.

Thanks in advance for your help and clarification..

vinny

Re: Child Rules for BC application

Post by vinny » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:17 am

Child 1. May register, subject to discretion, at the same time or after parent's naturalisation.
Child 2. Entitled to register, after a parent is granted ILR.
Child 3. Same as child 1.
Child 4. Automatically British.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

aa927

Post by aa927 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:26 am

Thanks so much for your reply.

So:

Child 1. May register, subject to discretion, at the same time or after parent's naturalisation. Apply when parents apply for british citizenship?
Child 2. Entitled to register after a parent is granted ILR. Use this? https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passport/who-can-apply
Child 4. Automatically British. Use this? https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-form-mn1

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:39 am

Child 1. Yes.
Child 2. No. Child is not yet British and, therefore, may not apply for a British passport until granted registration.
Child 4. No. Child may apply for British passport directly.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

aa927

Post by aa927 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:45 am

Oh sorry I think I confused the links. You use form MN1 to register a child right?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:57 am

Yes.

aa927

Post by aa927 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:45 pm

When you are applying for British citizenship as parents you use form AN, right? So when you need to apply for kids not born in the UK for british citizenship, do you include them with you on form AN or are they separate?

Does each member of the family require their own application, or is it one for everyone?

Thanks for clarifying!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:51 pm

aa927 wrote:When you are applying for British citizenship as parents you use form AN, right? So when you need to apply for kids not born in the UK for british citizenship, do you include them with you on form AN or are they separate? There is no 'dependent' aspect to citizenship. Form AN for adults and form MN1 for children under 18 years of age.

Does each member of the family require their own application, or is it one for everyone? Each person applying must complete their own form and pay a fee. Each person applying must meet all the requirements individually on their own.

Thanks for clarifying!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

aa927

Post by aa927 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi,

I'm sorry I still don't understand how to apply for my kids who were not born in the UK. I did my daughters application MN1 under section 1(3) because she was born in the UK and we both have ILR. But then my eldest child was born before we moved to the UK and I don't know what section he would be under because neither of us has citizenship. His ILR expires in May 2017 so I really want to get his application in. And then I have my youngest who was born abroad but we already had ILR. Don't know what section he would be under either?

aa927

Residency Requirements Minor

Post by aa927 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:37 pm

What are the residency requirements for a minor under MN1?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:38 pm

What is the UK immigration status of the other parent?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Residency Requirements Minor

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:50 pm

by aa927 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:37 pm
What are the residency requirements for a minor under MN1?
There aren't any. If born abroad, they must hold ILR. If over the age of 13, they require 2 years residence. If this question relates to your 12 year old child, you can apply now with your application. The application will be a Section 3(1) application.

Also please keep ALL your questions in this topic. It is not necessary to start a new topic with each question you have.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:52 pm

secret.simon wrote:What is the UK immigration status of the other parent?
Whole family hold ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

aa927

Post by aa927 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:41 pm

Ok thanks, will keep questions to this topic.

So eldest will be under section 3(1), also youngest? We all currently have ILR, have had it since 2012. Eldest's ILR is expiring in May of this year.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:49 pm

By definition, ILR does not expire. It is indefinite.

All children born outside the UK will have to apply under Section 3(1), with at least one parent applying for naturalisation or already having British citizenship. CR001 has pointed out the other requirements. Children over 10 years of age also need to meet the good character requirements.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:54 pm

Although the ILE entry clearance or BRP may expire, the Indefinite Leave status doesn't, unless the holder has been absent from the UK for over two years..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:31 am

aa927 wrote:So eldest will be under section 3(1), also youngest? We all currently have ILR, have had it since 2012. Eldest's ILR is expiring in May of this year.
vinny wrote:Child 1. May register, subject to discretion, at the same time or after parent's naturalisation.
Child 2. Entitled to register, after a parent is granted ILR.
Child 4. Automatically British.
Do click on the links that vinny already provided.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

aa927

Post by aa927 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:59 pm

secret.simon wrote:By definition, ILR does not expire. It is indefinite.

All children born outside the UK will have to apply under Section 3(1), with at least one parent applying for naturalisation or already having British citizenship. CR001 has pointed out the other requirements. Children over 10 years of age also need to meet the good character requirements.

All of our cards have a valid until dates. Two of the kids ones expire in May 2017. The adults are until 2022. But they also say:

Type of permit
settlement

Remarks
Indefinite Leave to Remain

aa927

Post by aa927 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:26 pm

Would a three year old require the two referrals?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:32 pm

All applicants for citizenship require the referees.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

aa927

Post by aa927 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:40 pm

vinny wrote:Although the ILE entry clearance or BRP may expire, the Indefinite Leave status doesn't, unless the holder has been absent from the UK for over two years..

So when you reach the valid to dates on your residence card are you supposed to apply for a replacement? https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... rmit-brprc

Does owning a home in the UK help towards the two year rule for ILR? And if you own a home but return for short visits is that acceptable under the ILR rules?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:51 pm

See similar thread on ILR and how staying outside the UK can affect it.

aa927

Post by aa927 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks.

Still not clear on what I'm supposed to do when the valid until date is reached on the BRP card?

aa927

Post by aa927 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:11 pm

For children applying under section 3(1), do you have to provide proof of residence in the Uk? Also, what qualifies as that proof for a child?

Other documents required would be:

- British Passport photo
-Child's birth certificate
-Child's passport
-parent's marriage certificate

Is that everything?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:43 pm

aa927 wrote:For children applying under section 3(1), do you have to provide proof of residence in the Uk? Also, what qualifies as that proof for a child? No, passports are sufficient.

Other documents required would be:

- British Passport photo
-Child's birth certificate
-Child's passport
-parent's marriage certificate

Is that everything?
Char (CR001 not Casa)