ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship requirement queries

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

hemant_lakhani

Citizenship requirement queries

Post by hemant_lakhani » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:41 pm

Greetings, Many thanks to this forum and great advisers for the wonderful work and helping people.

I have recently got ILR (After 5 years on WP and Tier 1 General) and have time before I apply for British citizenship, so as next step to get British citizenship, I would like to understand few things, kindly advise me on below queries:

1) JSA for my wife:
She came in UK in Nov 2010 got ILR with me in Apr 2014 (under 2 years rule for partner/dependent entered before July 2012)
She has been trying to get job here which is not easy and been doing some part time jobs when she gets. She is currently unemployed and looking for full time or part time job, my query is as she got ILR:
a) Can she get job seekers allowance (considering I am in full time employment earning aprox 39K per year) ?
b) If she gets JSA, will that impact future citizenship application (some thing like not meeting good character requirement due to taking benefits/ public funds)?

2) Council tax:
We have been living in shared accommodation with some shared facilities and been paying room rent which includes council tax and all utility bills, while applying for the citizenship, is there any requirement that we do need to submit council bills on our own name? Is this arrangement of living in shared house can cause any issue and do we need to move to self fully rented flat and pay council tax on our name?

3) NCS Service:
We live in woolwich/plumstead area in Greenwich council in London, there is no local NCS in this area, can we use any other NCS or as there is no local council NCS we only have option of applying by post for citizenship?

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

John

Re: Citizenship requirement queries

Post by John » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:53 am

Using your numbering :-
  1. There are two types of JSA, contribution-based and income-based. Needless to say contribution-based JSA is based upon her NI contributions, but she might not have paid enough to qualify. Contribution-based JSA is not within the definition of Public Funds, so would not have been a problem even before the ILR is granted.

Income-based JSA? Because of your earnings nothing will get paid, but she should still claim as her NI contributions will get credited.
  2. This is no need to submit a Council Tax bill.
  3. Any NCS office in the country can be used,
John

hemant_lakhani

Post by hemant_lakhani » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:24 pm

Thanks John,

1-b) If she gets JSA, will that impact future citizenship application (some thing like not meeting good character requirement due to taking benefits/ public funds)?
So far all visa applications have asked if we have taken any benefits / public funds. Please advise

Also,
4) When will my wife be eligible for BC:
As my wife came in UK in Nov 2010 and got ILR with me in Apr 2014 (under 2 years rule for partner/dependent entered before July 2012); Will she be able to apply for British citizenship with me after April 2015 (or we will have to wait for her 5 year completion in Nov 2015) ?

Many thanks in advance.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:13 pm

1) No. If she is entitled to claim JSA, she can claim it (as she holds ILR). Will not affect BC application in future.

4) check Q1 & Q2 in the FAQ (link below).
Check the FAQ before posting!
Citizenship (adults, children, passport)
EEA (EEA FP, RC, PR, Surinder Singh)