ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I need to wait 1 year before applying for British Citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

eman4730
Newly Registered

Do I need to wait 1 year before applying for British Citizen

Post by eman4730 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:08 am

Dear Sir/Madam,

I was just about to make a Nationality Checking Service appointment at Oxford when I was told that I need to wait 1 year from the issue of my Residence Documentation (mine was issued: 8/11/16) to apply for British Citizenship.

I have lived in the UK since 2004 and by following example which is presented in the gov link below, I believe I can apply straight away.

Could you please confirm that for me?

I would highly appreciate it.

Best Wishes,

Eva

https://www.freemovement.org.uk/eu-nati ... lications/

Casa

Re: Do I need to wait 1 year before applying for British Cit

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:55 am

It's 12 months after qualifying for PR, not the date the DCPR confirmation is issued.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

eman4730
Newly Registered

Post by eman4730 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:32 pm

I am sorry but what does DCPR stand for? I assume PR represent permanent residency.
Does this mean I can go ahead with the application?
Thank you

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:36 pm

Yes. assuming you qualified for PR more than 12 months ago.

DCPR = document certifying permanent residence
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:46 pm

Typically NCS have a direct line to the Home Office where they can check the date on the Home Office system that you acquired PR on. So, if you make an appointment, they can check those details for you.

You need to have stayed in the UK for at least a year after that date, not the date on the PR Card itself.

If you wish to find out that date (which the Home office has on record as the date your acquired PR) for yourself, apply for an SAR with the Home Office.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Fredrules03
Newly Registered

Post by Fredrules03 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:39 am

I think the law has changed on this, now you will have to wait for a year from the date your pr was issued. Not 100% sure though but a friend in similar situation told that was the advice he got from home office directly.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:15 am

Fredrules03 wrote:I think the law has changed on this, now you will have to wait for a year from the date your pr was issued. Not 100% sure though but a friend in similar situation told that was the advice he got from home office directly.
No it has NOT changed. HO helpline is well known for giving incorrect advice.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.