ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fiance's Residence and Naturalisation (& Green card)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

piglet14
Newly Registered

Fiance's Residence and Naturalisation (& Green card)

Post by piglet14 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:19 pm

I become eligible for UK naturalisation in 8 months, and am currently engaged to a US citizen, who lives in the USA. If we were to get married before I naturalise, is it an issue that she is living outside of the UK (I live/work in the UK)?

Additionally, would there be any issues in applying for a US green card for me before naturalisation? (Would this complicate anything?) The intention is to remain in the UK for the foreseeable future.

Many thanks

VR

Applying for a US GreenCard

Post by VR » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:05 pm

Before your British Naturalisation may put a serious question mark over your intention to make UK your main home. Cant you wait until after 8months and apply for the same?
cheers
vr

VR

Applying for a US GreenCard

Post by VR » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:05 pm

Before your British Naturalisation may put a serious question mark over your intention to make UK your main home. Cant you wait until after 8months and apply for the same?
cheers
vr

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:11 pm

It is not an issue. If you marry before naturalisation, your wife can apply green card, however you will not get green card overnight, there is long queue. In the mean time you can apply for British Citizenship when you become eligible. Both UK and US allow dual citizenship, i.e in future if you become US citizen.