ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

got my ILR ,When can I apply for naturalisation ?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Jasper_X
Newly Registered

got my ILR ,When can I apply for naturalisation ?

Post by Jasper_X » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:28 pm

I just received my ILR (settlement) in form of BRP card.
I know that normally one can apply for British citizenship & naturalisation 1 year after getting ILR,but my BRP does not indicate when the ILR starts from.it only has issue date which is September 2012 (6 months after I was eligible for ILR)
my 5 years residency permit was expired in April 2012,so I applied for ILR in March 2012,but it took UKBA over 6 months to send me the ILR.

ILR's used to be in form of a stamp with validity date set to the date previous leave expired,but with new Biometric Card form,there is no "valid from" date indicated on the card,it only has issue date which is September 2012 instead of April 2012.

does it now have to wait until September 2013 to apply for naturalisation or can I apply in April 2013?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:39 pm

Jasper_X wrote:ILR's used to be in form of a stamp with validity date set to the date previous leave expired
How do you know? Have you been granted settlement before?
Issue date - either on the vignette or on the BRP - is the day a decision is made to grant leave (in this case, settled status). Prior to that date, your earlier leave (in whatever immigration category) is extant. If any different, a letter will be issued to you to inform you of the date since when you are considered free from immigration time restrictions.

September 2013.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Jasper_X
Newly Registered

Post by Jasper_X » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:03 pm

another question :

prior to ILR,I had 5 years residence permit (limited leave to remain) status from april 2007.
can I apply for naturalisation right now? according to ukba residential requirements are:
To demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation, you must have:

been resident in the UK for at least five years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
been present in the UK five years before the date of your application; and
not spent more than 450 days outside the UK during the five-year period; and
not spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months of the five-year period; and
not been in breach of the Immigration Rules at any stage during the five-year period.
:?:

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:11 pm

Jasper_X wrote:another question :

prior to ILR,I had 5 years residence permit (limited leave to remain) status from april 2007.
can I apply for naturalisation right now? according to ukba residential requirements are:
To demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation, you must have:

been resident in the UK for at least five years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
been present in the UK five years before the date of your application; and
not spent more than 450 days outside the UK during the five-year period; and
not spent more than 90 days outside the UK in the last 12 months of the five-year period; and
not been in breach of the Immigration Rules at any stage during the five-year period.
:?:
These are the residential requirements but as you pointed out in your first post, there is also a requirement to hold ILR for 1 year (unless married to a British citizen) so you will need to wait.

I suggest you read - Citizenship FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting.