ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Homeoffice reply on English Language Requirements

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

shaheen

Homeoffice reply on English Language Requirements

Post by shaheen » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:38 pm

Hi Guys, this might help to someone.
On website and guide-an clearly says that you can send you original degree, certificate of comparability from NARIC and letter from university that the qualification was taught in English but form-an does not show this option to check!
So wrote an email to homeoffice and the reply from them is attached here.

Please see my email and homeoffice reply in following.
homeoffice_reply_part1.jpg
Email to homeoffice
homeoffice_reply_part1.jpg (252.31 KiB) Viewed 3859 times
homeoffice_reply_part2.jpg
Reply from homeoffice
homeoffice_reply_part2.jpg (35.95 KiB) Viewed 3859 times

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Re: Homeoffice reply on English Language Requirements

Post by IndiMarshall » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:28 pm

Mate in Page 5 it is very clear that

UK NARIC has to do both Statement of comparibility and UK NARIC also have to confirm that your degree is taught in English. The univ letter confirming that your degree is taught in English is needed by NARIC to issue a letter of their own and not UKBA.

pAGE 5 (Form AN)

I have obtained an academic qualification deemed by UK NARIC to mee the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Masters degree or PhD in the United Kindom and:

(1) UK NARIC has confirmed that the qualification was taught or researched in English; or
(2) the qualification was taught or researched in the UK or a majority English speaking country (other than Canada);

I suggest you ignore this reply from UKBA case worker. I think he clearly misread it. remember it depends on case worker to case worker and in the FROM AN it is very clear that u need SOC AND UK NARIC confirmation that degree is taught in English....

HAMPSHIRE NCS has confirmed this to me and from what I read here they are correct..

See the AND and or
if you think I am wrong pls correct .. my suggest better get both Statement of comparibility and English langauge Assesment.

shaheen

Post by shaheen » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:09 pm

Hi IndiMarshall

You are absolutely correct but if you only read the form-an. The point I have raised is completely different.
My point is form-an should be based on citizenship policy which is described in guide-an and web and clearly form-an does not have an option which is described in guide & Web.

The guide says if somebody want to prove language ability by "Degrees taught or researched in English" he/she has to provide original degree certificate and one of following
1. English language Assessment (ELA) - which is your point!.
2. SoC from NARIC and a letter from university.

Go to guide-an (Page 5) and check this info I have highlighted.
What you are talking is RED and what I am saying is GREEN.
reply_post1.png
reply_post1.png (138.97 KiB) Viewed 3819 times

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:35 pm

Yeah you have a valid point.
I did notice that but I took the Form AN as the Gospel and didnt worry abt Guide AN and https://www.gov.uk/english-language

Did they tell you when they are going to update that? (Incase if you spoke anything on phone as well)
Until they update that I am still skeptical about this as again this is down to case worker ... some case workers will worry about what is mentioned in Form AN and if you happen to be the unlucky lot of all you might get a query and u may win the argument hopefully but that will again delay your Application.

When I spoke to Hampshire NCS they said they will worry about what is mentioned in Form AN.
I really wish they hadn't done this mistake as I am going to pay £55 for the ELA today to the NARIC as I dont want to arrive at NCS only to be denied because of this.

Can you please tell me what email ID you have used ?

Thanks

call2bala

Post by call2bala » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:18 pm

Hello

I am planning to apply for BC in few days time. I thought I am ok to submit the Points based calculator print out.

I am still not clear about What should I tick in the list of options as mentioned in this post?
I do have IELTS test score but the test was taken in 2005 and also got letter from my university for English language taught degree.

Shall I add everything to avoid any confusion over points based calculator printout?

Please share your experience about PBS printouts during your BC application.

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:33 pm

call2bala wrote:Hello

I am planning to apply for BC in few days time. I thought I am ok to submit the Points based calculator print out.

I am still not clear about What should I tick in the list of options as mentioned in this post?
I do have IELTS test score but the test was taken in 2005 and also got letter from my university for English language taught degree.

Shall I add everything to avoid any confusion over points based calculator printout?

I am not sure what at level the IELTS takes you to .. I mean is it equivalent to B1 ?

if not u need
1)Statement of comparability done by NARIC
2)letter from Univ stating your degree is taught in English
to be on safer note get ***English language assessment as well..***

call2bala

Post by call2bala » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:47 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I have NARIC statement of comparability letter from 2007 to compare with UK Bachelors and Masters degree equivalent plus letter from university and I do not have specifically for English language.

I only had IELTS score from Dec 2005(8.0/9.0).

I am going to use Warwickshire NCS.

Cheers
IndiMarshall wrote:

I am not sure what at level the IELTS takes you to .. I mean is it equivalent to B1 ?

if not u need

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:44 pm

call2bala wrote:Thanks for the reply.
I have NARIC statement of comparability letter from 2007 to compare with UK Bachelors and Masters degree equivalent plus letter from university and I do not have specifically for English language.

I only had IELTS score from Dec 2005(8.0/9.0).

I am going to use Warwickshire NCS.

Cheers
IndiMarshall wrote:

if not u need

If the IELTS is B1 CEFR level or higher or equivalent.. u dont need to worry abt UK NARIC docs and letter from Uni ..

anjumashfaq
Newly Registered

Post by anjumashfaq » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:53 pm

Hi, Please can anyone confirm whethe or not an expired IELTS(previously used for HSMP application) can be used for the BC application? Thanks

IndiMarshall
Member of Standing

Post by IndiMarshall » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:20 pm

anjumashfaq wrote:Hi, Please can anyone confirm whethe or not an expired IELTS(previously used for HSMP application) can be used for the BC application? Thanks

As it has expired I feel it may not be considered.
double check with others as well.

shaheen

Post by shaheen » Thu May 08, 2014 4:13 pm

Hi, the IELTS certificate should be valid at the time of entry clearance, home office does accept expired certificates for settlement and citizenship.
You can find information about expired certificates in this post1

mechenguk
Newly Registered

Post by mechenguk » Mon May 12, 2014 2:29 pm

Hi ,

Can someone provide me minor clarification:

I have a postgraduate degree (Masters and Phd) from U.K university and am planning to apply for naturalisation next month.

Do I still need a prinit out from point based calcualator or the original U.K degree certificate along with supplement stating the U.K university details would suffice.

There seems be quite some confusion reagrding language requirmenton this forum and therefore I just wanted to confirm from previous applicants.

Thank you

shaheen

Post by shaheen » Tue May 13, 2014 8:52 am

Hi, it is not very clear but I think for the qualification from UK you don't need anything additional with it just have a look at the second option in form-an in language section.

call2bala

Post by call2bala » Wed May 14, 2014 9:36 pm

I submitted my application @NCS. They confirmed I can give PBS print out . I also gave my Bachelors ,masters degree original + letter from university mentioning the course was taught in English.

I also gave them my Tier 1 UKBA letter with points where they clearly mentioned 10 points for English language.

Cheers

khan06
Newly Registered

Post by khan06 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:42 am

Shaheen

MY wife is in the same boat , she is going to send Statmenet of Comp+ uni letter+ original certificate+transcript.

what option did you tick in AN form to reflect your submission as there is no option matching her situation???

I will ask her to make a note in application as mentioned in HO reply.

nm
Member of Standing

Post by nm » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:10 pm

Hi,

Shoul I require to submit a cover letter for explaining the English Language Requirement if i submit the printout from PBS along with my master degree certificate ?