ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Less than 540 days but not in service?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

chloeclaire
Newly Registered

Less than 540 days but not in service?

Post by chloeclaire » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:22 am

Hi guys. I apologise first because I think you have this kind of question all the time. I've looked over the past posts and I haven't found a thread that answers my questions so I'm giving it a try in a new topic.

I plan on applying for citizenship this year. About me: I have been granted ILR since 2005 (due to the fact that my parents have worked here since then). Between 2005 and 2014, I have been out of the country numerous times. I finished uni in my country of origin. If I read it properly, the time period that will be accounted for will be between 2009 - 2014 which is great because this is the time that I came back after uni. But my problem is that I left the country again and was gone for the most part of 2013 due to personal reasons. I also have been traveling a lot (holidays) and so my total absences up until today will be around 510 days for the past 5 years.

Is there a chance that I will be approved? What do you guys think? Like everyone else, I don't want to spend £900 for nothing. Thanks in advance.

chloeclaire
Newly Registered

Re: Less than 540 days but not in service?

Post by chloeclaire » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:41 am

Anyone? :(

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:39 pm

How long have you been out in the last year?
I am sometimes wrong.

chloeclaire
Newly Registered

Post by chloeclaire » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:06 pm

Hi milan69! And thanks for answering my query. In the last year (before applying), I would have spent at total of 78 days outside of UK.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:53 pm

You have two options.
You can wait until total number of absences is less than 480 days as that is tolerated or you can apply for discretion as I have. With your number of absences you should be all right but a case worker has a discretion to decide.
I was absent 120 days in the final year and was granted citizenship,
You can find more here (page 7 & 8):
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... let-an.pdf
I am sometimes wrong.

chloeclaire
Newly Registered

Post by chloeclaire » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:47 pm

Thank you. Waiting for my absences to go down to a minimum of 480 would take 3 years so I'd rather really not wait that long. It's good to know that you have been granted citizenship. May I ask your total of absences during the 5 time year period? And your main reason for being away for 120 days in the final year? Was it for work or personal reasons? My other concern is that I wasn't away because of work, it was basically on my own esteem that I went out of the country. I reckon employed people have a better chance of being granted citizenship than unemployed bums going on holidays. :(

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:53 pm

I was away for business and leisure purposes but I don't think it is relevant as I was not employed by a British company.
I applied as as spouse of BC so in the last 3 years I was out 280 days in total which does not mater much as I was over 100 days absent in the past year.
When applying for discretion it is important to state that you have made UK your home (with family if you have one) and that majority of your assets are based here.
I am sometimes wrong.

chloeclaire
Newly Registered

Post by chloeclaire » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:04 pm

Thanks so much. I guess I will give it a try and apply with discretion. Yes, my family is here and all of them have been naturalised more than 5 years ago. I'm the only one with a non-British passport in our family.

milan69
Diamond Member

Post by milan69 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:07 pm

If your apply as a spouse of British citizen than you count the last 3 years of absences.
I am sometimes wrong.