ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation as Spouse of UK Citizen - Timing

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Enquirer77

Naturalisation as Spouse of UK Citizen - Timing

Post by Enquirer77 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:24 am

My wife currently has ILR (dated Oct 2009). I am a British citizen. We were married in October 2007 and my wife first came into the UK on a Fiancee Visa in June 2007. She has passed the ESOL exams and has been resident in the UK since June 2007. Can she apply for naturalisation from June 2010 (3 years after entering the UK as my Fiancee) or October 2010 (3 years after getting married in the UK)?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: Naturalisation as Spouse of UK Citizen - Timing

Post by Christophe » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:25 pm

Enquirer77 wrote:My wife currently has ILR (dated Oct 2009). I am a British citizen. We were married in October 2007 and my wife first came into the UK on a Fiancee Visa in June 2007. She has passed the ESOL exams and has been resident in the UK since June 2007. Can she apply for naturalisation from June 2010 (3 years after entering the UK as my Fiancee) or October 2010 (3 years after getting married in the UK)?
The only requirement (regarding the timing of the marriage itself) for naturalising on the basis of being the spouse of a British citizen is that you must be married on the day of the application. So, assuming that she has been legally in the UK over the past three years and fulfils all the other requirements, yes, she can apply now. (In other words, she doesn't have to have been married for three years.)

Enquirer77

Post by Enquirer77 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:39 am

Thank you very much for clarifying that Christophe.

bani

Post by bani » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:48 pm

She still has to have been in the UK for 3 years, so it's June 2010.

goldsworthy
Newly Registered

Post by goldsworthy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:05 pm

I am pretty sure it has to be Oct 2010. I am married to a British citizen and was told in an official document that I could apply for the citizenship a year after getting the ILR. If she tries before, she won't be able to send the documents to the Home Office since that's the first thing they check. I went though all this process in Dec-09.

Good luck anyway!

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:15 pm

goldsworthy wrote:I am married to a British citizen and was told in an official document that I could apply for the citizenship a year after getting the ILR. If she tries before, she won't be able to send the documents to the Home Office since that's the first thing they check.
The rules dictate otherwise. Read Nationality Instructions > Chapter 18 > para 18.2.2.1 and para 18.2.2.2, in particular 18.2.2.2 (d).

regards

Tim555

Post by Tim555 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:57 am

goldsworthy wrote:I am pretty sure it has to be Oct 2010. I am married to a British citizen and was told in an official document that I could apply for the citizenship a year after getting the ILR. If she tries before, she won't be able to send the documents to the Home Office since that's the first thing they check. I went though all this process in Dec-09.

Good luck anyway!
Were you in UK before your marriage? Or came uk after your marriage on spouse visa?
Each and every one of us can make a difference. All right everyone, line up alphabetically according to your height.