ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need some clarification if anyone could please

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

claudiafan

Need some clarification if anyone could please

Post by claudiafan » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:17 pm

I will apply for naturalisation based on 5yr WP + 12mths ILR very soon. However i am not sure if my partner can apply for it with me together? He came into UK on March 2006 with dependant visa and granted ILR with me together in November 2010. What kind of criteria will he fall into if he would like to apply for naturalisation because he is 3 year and half + 12 months ILR and can we apply as joint application?

Alternatively he can apply as soon as i am granted British citizen? Kind of confused so clarification is appreciated.

Many thanks

geriatrix

Re: Need some clarification if anyone could please

Post by geriatrix » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:26 pm

claudiafan wrote:However i am not sure if my partner can apply for it with me together? He came into UK on March 2006 with dependant visa and granted ILR with me together in November 2010.
Given the timeline, your partner may be eligible to apply for naturalisation at the same time as you.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

claudiafan

Re: Need some clarification if anyone could please

Post by claudiafan » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:39 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
claudiafan wrote:However i am not sure if my partner can apply for it with me together? He came into UK on March 2006 with dependant visa and granted ILR with me together in November 2010.
Given the timeline, your partner may be eligible to apply for naturalisation at the same time as you.
Thanks Sushdmehta, I like the sound of it but do you know under what criteria my partner will fall into? His residential period is 3 yr and 6mths + 12 mths ILR.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:09 pm

claudiafan wrote:His residential period is 3 yr and 6mths + 12 mths ILR.
How?
claudiafan wrote:He came into UK on March 2006
If he entered UK in March 2006, his stay has been - on date - approx. 5 years 9 months.

claudiafan

Post by claudiafan » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:03 pm

claudiafan wrote:He came into UK on March 2006
If he entered UK in March 2006, his stay has been - on date - approx. 5 years 9 months.[/quote]

Precisely he has been 4 years and 8 months + 12 months ILR since March 2006. However "If you have spent time in the UK while you were exempt from immigration control, you cannot include this time as part of the residential qualifying period." Therefore will he fullfil the 5 year residential requirement as i am not sure at this point, or he has to wait to apply for his naturalisation immediately after i am granted for British Citizen so he can apply as marriage to BC?

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:04 pm

"Free from immigration time restrictions" and "exempt from immigration control" aren't necessarily the same, depending on the context.

Response remains the same.