ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New citizenship form UKF

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

g_barrie_g

First Adult UK Passport Outside the UK (overseas application

Post by g_barrie_g » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:26 am

@keji

Congratulations keji!

Did you receive your uk passport with all the requirements like documents and your nigerian passport (or coloured photocopy) ?

Please post your own application timeline for us to have a basis.

Thanks...

Demmie
Newly Registered

Re: New citizenship form UKF

Post by Demmie » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:59 am

keji wrote:To God be the Glory. Passport out at last after about 20weeks. A very big thank you to everyone that has helped out and best of God to all who are still awaiting a response from the home office .it will be positive by God grace. And to those still awaiting passport issuance too, *patience* is the word though not easy but thats all u can do.be patient and dot pressurize them .

Thanks
@ keji, congratulations......i'm very happy for you......glad you have it now giving hope that the application can be sorted anywhere in the world......like you say patience is the key word though.....I hope you wont run off no? try to pop into this forum and share experience with every other person.

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Re: First Adult UK Passport Outside the UK (overseas applica

Post by keji » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:08 am

g_barrie_g wrote:@keji

Congratulations keji!

Did you receive your uk passport with all the requirements like documents and your nigerian passport (or coloured photocopy) ?

Please post your own application timeline for us to have a basis.

Thanks...

Thanks, yea got all my documents back with my British passport.

Application timeline
Application received : 22/2/2016
Interview-27/5/2016
Passport received -22/7/2016

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:10 am

Demmie wrote:
keji wrote:To God be the Glory. Passport out at last after about 20weeks. A very big thank you to everyone that has helped out and best of God to all who are still awaiting a response from the home office .it will be positive by God grace. And to those still awaiting passport issuance too, *patience* is the word though not easy but thats all u can do.be patient and dot pressurize them .

Thanks
@ keji, congratulations......i'm very happy for you......glad you have it now giving hope that the application can be sorted anywhere in the world......like you say patience is the key word though.....I hope you wont run off no? try to pop into this forum and share experience with every other person.

Thanks, will definitely stick around to help my fellow travelers on this journey so I can help out in anyway.

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:17 pm

May 17, 2016 - UKM form sent via USPS First Class. Return envelope included, with no postage.
June 14, 2016 - Credit card debited for fee.
June 21, 2016 - Biometric letter advising me to set up an appointment at a Application Support Centre in the USA using an email address they provided.
June 28, 2016 - Biometrics completed.
August 15, 2016 - Approval letter with original documents returned via signed international Royal Mail. They will advise shortly when the citizenship ceremony will be scheduled.

Fulgrun
Newly Registered

Post by Fulgrun » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:47 pm

Congrats a_powers! Now comes the wait for the consular appointment. Which consular office will you be going to?

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:49 pm

Fulgrun wrote:Congrats a_powers! Now comes the wait for the consular appointment. Which consular office will you be going to?
New York

Demmie
Newly Registered

Post by Demmie » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:29 pm

a_powers wrote:May 17, 2016 - UKM form sent via USPS First Class. Return envelope included, with no postage.
June 21, 2016 - Biometric letter advising me to set up an appointment at a Application Support Centre in the USA using an email address they provided.
August 15, 2016 - Approval letter with original documents returned via signed international Royal Mail. They will advise shortly when the citizenship ceremony will be scheduled.

@ a_powers, congratulations

PinoyHarry
Newly Registered

Post by PinoyHarry » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:21 pm

British Application Timeline
Documents received on: April 06,2016
Country Origin: Philippines
Estimated Processing Time: 16weeks

Tried e-mailing them and I always get one answer, its still under the examination team. No updates since then, no e-mail nor phone call. Documents that was submitted are all original (Philippine passport, Citizenship Certificate etc.) wondering why its taking this long for them to examine it since same documents was used to apply citizenship. Hoping to hear some good news soon.

PS: g_barry hows yours? Any update?

g_barrie_g

Post by g_barrie_g » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:30 am

PinoyHarry wrote:British Application Timeline
Documents received on: April 06,2016
Country Origin: Philippines
Estimated Processing Time: 16weeks

Tried e-mailing them and I always get one answer, its still under the examination team. No updates since then, no e-mail nor phone call. Documents that was submitted are all original (Philippine passport, Citizenship Certificate etc.) wondering why its taking this long for them to examine it since same documents was used to apply citizenship. Hoping to hear some good news soon.

PS: g_barry hows yours? Any update?
I had bombarded them with inquiry using their online inquiry system at least 3 weeks ago. I refrained from doing it again since I felt tired. The first reasons they have given me is my application is still under examination and they could not give a specific date on when I will receive my passport. And when I kept on bombarding them with same inquiry, they told me that at least I have received an e-mail 3 weeks after they received my application which stated that UK checks were done. And that, overseas security checks are still in effect and they reassured that they're doing their best to process my application the shortest time possible.

I have read forums regarding UK passport application that were sent from the PHL. The average processing time was 11 months. Renewals took at least 6 months. So it has given me an idea that we are not the only ones that is being depressed by the state in which HMPO is experiencing. I have learned that they are understaffed and underbudget.

Another thing, my father had also called them and they have given the same response. Plus they will not disclose any further info to him because I have made the application as I am an adult.

And that's all of it.

Fulgrun
Newly Registered

Post by Fulgrun » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:57 pm

@ a_powers - I take it you are still waiting for your consular appointment. Just thought I would pass this along if you are getting antsy. Keep in mind that you have 3 months from the date of the letter noticing you of your application success (unless an extension of time is given). You should hear from them about scheduling the ceremony around three weeks before that deadline. If not you might to make an inquiry with the consulate, regardless of whatever timeline the notice letter gave you to forbear from making an inquiry.

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:22 pm

May 17, 2016 - UKM form sent via USPS First Class. Return envelope included, with no postage.
September 8, 2016 - NY consulate called and made appointment for next week.
September 14, 2016 - Oath and pledge completed at the NYC consulate, citizenship certificate received.

Now on to the passport!

Fulgrun
Newly Registered

Post by Fulgrun » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:49 pm

a_powers wrote:May 17, 2016 - UKM form sent via USPS First Class. Return envelope included, with no postage.
September 14, 2016 - Oath and pledge completed at the NYC consulate, citizenship certificate received.

Now on to the passport!
Congrats!

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:43 pm

September 19, 2016 - Mailed UK passport application via USPS. Used online system. Included original UK certificate of registration, all pages of US passport color copied, photo page of countersignatory US passport color copied, two identical photos one signed by countersignatory, and form.

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:21 pm

September 19, 2016 - Mailed UK passport application via USPS. Used online system. Included original UK certificate of registration, all pages of US passport color copied, photo page of countersignatory US passport color copied, two identical photos one signed by countersignatory, and form.
October 5, 2016 - Original documents returned via DHL courier with note that they have been noted and the passport is being processed.

wadiki2
Newly Registered

Post by wadiki2 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:42 pm

October 5, 2016 - Original documents returned via DHL courier with note that they have been noted and the passport is being processed.

thanks a_powers for keeping us updated. i am a few steps behind even though i started my application long before you but i had more hiccups along the way. but i will use your timeline to base mines from.

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:49 pm

October 6, 2016 - Passport received via DHL courier! Yay!

wadiki2
Newly Registered

Post by wadiki2 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:46 pm

congrats! @a_powers !!!!

bhebijean_04
Newly Registered

Post by bhebijean_04 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:46 am

@pinoyharry & gbarrieg

Any update regarding your passport? Me, still waiting for an an update to my citizenship application.

PinoyHarry
Newly Registered

Post by PinoyHarry » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:06 am

@bhebijean

Its been almost 6 months now since they receive my application but yet no update and no idea how much longer it will take. Frustrating how they set the expectation that the process will take "atleast" 16 weeks which if ever it should somehow take close to that timeframe if ever there will be some delays, but as you can see, its now 6months or 24+ weeks yet all the passport office can say is its still undergoing security checks by the overseas team, while most likely the security checks are somehow done in the citizenship application process before and the fact that all documents they have are original including the phillipine passport and the citizenship certificate. Seeing how fast the people from US, Canada and other countries took only a week or two to get their British Passport makes me feel envious, well patience and prayers are the least we can do, hoping it will not take any longer more.

Anyway I can guarantee that anytime soon you'll be finish and gladly will get your citizenship the soonest since the Manila Embassy will contact you soon as they have your certificate and will set an appointment for your oath. Congratulations anyway :)

@gbarry I always check for your possible post but your silence obviously show that we are on the same track still haha we'll get ours soon for sure though :)

Demmie
Newly Registered

Post by Demmie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:03 am

Hello everyone,
@pinoyHarry, I can only imagine how unhappy you are with the delay regarding your passport! I just hope it comes soon.
I just stumbled on something especially for those of us applying for British passport outside the UK and other countries(whose applications doesn't take more than 6 weeks). I realized that we might be able to apply for UK right of abode in the visa application centers of our various countries. This is faster and might just be able to save us from the long wait hassles. I would like to know your thoughts people or peradventure anybody has tried that route kindly let share your experience

keji
Mood:
Ghana

Post by keji » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:53 pm

Demmie wrote:Hello everyone,
@pinoyHarry, I can only imagine how unhappy you are with the delay regarding your passport! I just hope it comes soon.
I just stumbled on something especially for those of us applying for British passport outside the UK and other countries(whose applications doesn't take more than 6 weeks). I realized that we might be able to apply for UK right of abode in the visa application centers of our various countries. This is faster and might just be able to save us from the long wait hassles. I would like to know your thoughts people or peradventure anybody has tried that route kindly let share your experience

Hello all
Hi Demmie,being awhile.
My advice is you patiently wait and get ur passport, right of abode is a waste of money and believe me nothing open doors for you in the UK as having the red passport.
Except you have to be in the UK by all means please complete your stuff in your country of residence. I know it can be annoying and frustrating ,I have been there but wait it out.its really worth it.

Thanks

bbrit
Newly Registered

Post by bbrit » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:09 pm

Im applying from the US under form UKF to register as a British Citizen

Form Sent:Sept 26
80 pound feed deducted: Oct 7
Confirmation:no

I didn't know this process was going to take so long and now I'm worried. This makes week 5 for me and still nothing.

I have booked to fly to the UK on the the 26 of Nov for my Masters graduation ceremony in December. Should I request my docs sent back or do you think I should wait it out? Any advice would be grateful!

Thanks in Advance

Fulgrun
Newly Registered

Post by Fulgrun » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:04 pm

I am happy to have successfully completed my UKM application! Here is my timeline, and I hope future applicants will find it useful.

Eligibility Criteria: UKM
Nationality: USA
Application sent: 10/2/2016 (Fedex International Priority USA to UKVI Liverpool)
Application delivered: 12/2/2016
Fees Debited: 18/2/2016 (via credit card)
USA Biometrics delay notification: 7/3/2016 (via email)
Biometrics scheduling letter: 27/05/2016 (via email)
Biometrics appointment confirmed: 6/6/2016
Biometrics Completed: 15/6/2016 (performed within USA)
Application approval received: 18/7/2016 (via mail with supporting documents; Correspondence dated 6/7/2016)
Date of contact from consulate to schedule ceremony: 9/9/2016 (via telephone with follow-up email)
Date of Ceremony: 3/10/2016
Passport application sent: 11/10/2016 (Fedex International Priority USA to HM Passport Office Durham)
Passport application delivered: 14/10/2016
Passport Received: 23/10/2016 (via DHL)
Passport supporting documents received: 25/10/2016 (via DHL)

Additional notes:

When I applied I sent in certified copies of (i) my mum's UK birth registry, (ii) my parent's marriage certificate (conducted in the UK; thereby documenting her name change), (iii) my long-form birth certificate, (iv) my passport and (v) a colour photo copy of my driver's license (thereby evidencing my current address and an additional example of my photograph).

Notably, I did not include my mum's expired passport or even a letter of explanation about my failure to include it (I did not have access to it, unfortunately). Your success may vary though so I would certainly include it if you have access, or, alternatively, include a complete colour photo copy of it. Were I to do it again, I would have included a letter of explanation.

Other applicants have been successful in not including a marriage certificate if your long-form birth certificate recites your mum's original birth name, but I think it appropriate to bolster the evidence with a marriage certificate if you have one.

The passport I sent was still valid but was set to expire a few months after I submitted my application (this is largely what informed my decision to send in my application despite knowing about the USA biometrics delays). In fact, applications are only considered after biometrics have been collected so, when my application was finally considered, my passport had expired. Luckily this did not prompt an additional inquiry.

The USA biometrics system should be fully operational and the delay I experienced should no longer exist for current and future applicants.

When you receive your application success letter, it will advise you to forbear from contacting anyone for a period of time. However, once you receive your application success letter the 90 day window to complete your citizenship ceremony is ticking (starting from the date of the letter, not your receipt). So, whatever timeline they report in the letter, you should be mindful of the 90-day window and reach out to the embassy or consular office if you have not heard from them within a few weeks of the approaching 90-day expiry.

For the passport you will begin the application through the online system and print our the declaration packet to then gather up the supporting documents and post it.

The supporting documents for the passport application were (i) a complete colour copy of my passport (the very same passport that had expired whilst in the custody of the HO), (ii) my original certificate of registration, (iii) a colour copy of the photo page of my countersignatory's passport, and (iv) two photographs per UK guidelines.

My passport countersignatory was one of the referees that I used for my citizenship application. The countersignatory must certify one of your passport photos and sign it, as well as counter-sign the application itself. Use black ink only, stay within the boxes with capital letters and keep the signatures within the signature boxes.

On the passport application you will list the certificate of registration. For the issuance date, I recited the date of the citizenship ceremony (which is the date that is then written on the face of the certificate by the consular officer) and I recited that it was issued by the Home Office London.

For the passport photos, refer to the guidelines. I went to a professional passport photography office that specializes in conforming to the varying guidelines of different countries. Take the guidelines with you and give them to your photographer to ensure they are meeting the guidelines and double check their work (bring a ruler!). Specifically, look for the proper photo dimensions, and the proper dimensions of your head. Be sure that your upper shoulders are included in the photo.

The first place I went to attached to major university with stellar reviews did an abysmal job and I had to get a second set made. Specifically, they had visible shadows under my ears on the photos which they were unable to resolve (and this is after I had them re-do the photos for failing to include my shoulders). The photos they made were also not cut to square, and so had the ragged appearance that they were cut from a larger photograph (which is not permitted). The 2nd place I went to was brilliant and provided excellent photos without my tutelage, with nice rounded corners.

You can monitor the status of your passport application online through the portal. When my was apparently approved, the status changed to "Please contact us" so don't be bothered when you see that. Upon information and belief, normal applicants from within the UK will see notification that it has been dispatched but overseas applicants do not receive this notification.

I hope that this is helpful to future applicants and I thank those that came before me on this forum for their assistance and support. Once you embark on this journey it can become an obsession, so I am grateful to to have had this forum to find information and to just commiserate with others. I will continue to check from time to time and try and be of assistance. Best of luck to everyone!

wadiki2
Newly Registered

Post by wadiki2 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:39 pm

congrats @Fulgrun may i ask what state in the u.s are you located?