ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

hellonewhere

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by hellonewhere » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:09 pm

Just to give an update

I have now received my British passport and still have my foreign passport which is valid in a different name.

Before applying for the passport, I wrote to my MP to approach HMPO on my behalf to explain my situation i.e. foreign passport in a different name and applying for first British passport in a different name.
The HMPO wrote back stating that a British passport cannot be isssued in a name which is different to the foreign passport and advised to try and effect the name change via my embassy in country and couldn't possibly comment as I hadn't applied for the passport yet.

I went to my embassy who sent an application to change my name on my passport to my country. My country does allow change of name, however, I was advised that I had to do it from my country and not from outside. My foreign passport was returned to me and I asked my embassy to issue me with the letter of refusal, which they did.

I applied for my first British passport on 15/07/2015, enclosing a cover letter stating that I tried to change my name as advised by HMPO in country but couldn't. I enclosed all the letter from my embassy, HMPO, my MP and various other documents demonstrating that I have been exclusively using my current name in all official matters for a very long time and also confirmed that when I travel to my birth country in the future I will change my name to match my current one. I further wrote that I am unable to travel to my country right now citing my personal reasons.

I received a letter on 29/07/2015 to book an interview, attended interview on 31/07/2015, passport was received today.

Other name has been added on observation page; stating "the holder is also known as ..... in.....passport".

Finally, my journey is over.

Thank you to this fantastic forum who have been incredibly helpful and good luck to everyone waiting.

Siraj ud-Daulah

Post by Siraj ud-Daulah » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:18 pm

hellonewhere wrote:Just to give an update

I have now received my British passport and still have my foreign passport which is valid in a different name.

Before applying for the passport, I wrote to my MP to approach HMPO on my behalf to explain my situation i.e. foreign passport in a different name and applying for first British passport in a different name.
The HMPO wrote back stating that a British passport cannot be isssued in a name which is different to the foreign passport and advised to try and effect the name change via my embassy in country and couldn't possibly comment as I hadn't applied for the passport yet.

I went to my embassy who sent an application to change my name on my passport to my country. My country does allow change of name, however, I was advised that I had to do it from my country and not from outside. My foreign passport was returned to me and I asked my embassy to issue me with the letter of refusal, which they did.

I applied for my first British passport on 15/07/2015, enclosing a cover letter stating that I tried to change my name as advised by HMPO in country but couldn't. I enclosed all the letter from my embassy, HMPO, my MP and various other documents demonstrating that I have been exclusively using my current name in all official matters for a very long time and also confirmed that when I travel to my birth country in the future I will change my name to match my current one. I further wrote that I am unable to travel to my country right now citing my personal reasons.

I received a letter on 29/07/2015 to book an interview, attended interview on 31/07/2015, passport was received today.

Other name has been added on observation page; stating "the holder is also known as ..... in.....passport".

Thank you to this fantastic forum who have been incredibly helpful and good luck to everyone waiting.
Really happy for you! :)

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:36 pm

hellonewhere wrote:Other name has been added on observation page; stating "the holder is also known as ..... in.....passport".
A sensible and practical approach to a problem that should never have been a problem.
Observations in passports wrote:Married women using their maiden name
For a married woman who continues to use her maiden name and is known by it for all purposes, at the applicant's request the passport may be recorded with the following observation:
 THE HOLDER IS (74 free text characters) .................................
For a married woman who maintains she uses both her husband's name and
her maiden name, the passport should be recorded with the observation:
 THE HOLDER IS ALSO KNOWN AS ............................ (FULL FORENAMES AND SURNAME)
Please also see Names – Marriage Certificates.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

hellonewhere

Post by hellonewhere » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:54 pm

Thanks Siraj,
and Vinny, HMPO must have read this thread and taken Antsmall suggestion as that's exactly what she has been suggesting!

KristinaL
Newly Registered

Post by KristinaL » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:04 pm

After reading this post I am not sure what to do.

I got my approval letter and just waiting for the ceremony now, afterwards I will apply for my Passport. During my application I got married and changed my surname. On the certificate it will still be my old surname and my EEA passport still has my old surname.

1. If i change my surname in my EEA passport it won't be the same, because (don't ask why) this EEA country changes surname with an "a" for girls and "s" for boys in the end. For example surname SMith will be Smitha in the passport.

2. Do I apply for BP in my old name, then cancel my EEA passport and then apply with my new name?

3. Do I try to apply with my new name, even thou my EEA passport in my old name?

Help pleasE?

thank you.

mimimari26
Newly Registered

Post by mimimari26 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:16 pm

Finally
I am truly happy for you and thank you so much for your updates that gave me hope :P .
I have now sent all my supporting documents today which includes all evidence that my country dose not allow name change.
Figure cross :roll:
Good luck :lol:

Please anyone who receive their passport with name change issue update us here if they receive they passport
Good bless you all

imoustache
Newly Registered

Post by imoustache » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:18 pm

Hi there.

I hold a Brazilian passport, with a permanent residence card. Since the permanent residency, I've got married and have taken my partner's surname. Everything is under my maiden name, like, Life in the UK test, the permanent residence stamp, my Bachelor's degree, my NI, everything related to HMRC. I have, however, changed all my bank details and UK driving licence to my new surname.

To change my current passport, I would need to register our wedding (held in the UK) at the Brazilian embassy, however, I need my birth certificate (a recent copy of minimum 6 months) which can only be acquired at my place of birth's registry office in Brazil.

I will be applying for British Citizenship in the next couple of months, and would like to have everything on my married name. My question is, do I apply with my new surname or with my maiden surname which I have the passport for? Should I have any problems applying with my married name?

Thanks a lot guys!

mimimari26
Newly Registered

Post by mimimari26 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:15 am

Dear imoustache

If you read the past couple of page here you will get your answer.
I believe after Hellonewhere get here passport with the married name you may need to provide evidence why cant you get your Brazilian passport change to married name, by providing a letter from your embassy that you cant get your name changed in your Brazilian passport due to some reason and MP letter also all the evidence showing you have been using your married name.
That way your chances are higher to get a passport with your married name, and all that still no guarantee, depends on the officer receives your application.
But if your evidence are not enough and strong.
Best of luck

imoustache wrote:Hi there.

I hold a Brazilian passport, with a permanent residence card. Since the permanent residency, I've got married and have taken my partner's surname. Everything is under my maiden name, like, Life in the UK test, the permanent residence stamp, my Bachelor's degree, my NI, everything related to HMRC. I have, however, changed all my bank details and UK driving licence to my new surname.

To change my current passport, I would need to register our wedding (held in the UK) at the Brazilian embassy, however, I need my birth certificate (a recent copy of minimum 6 months) which can only be acquired at my place of birth's registry office in Brazil.

I will be applying for British Citizenship in the next couple of months, and would like to have everything on my married name. My question is, do I apply with my new surname or with my maiden surname which I have the passport for? Should I have any problems applying with my married name?

Thanks a lot guys!

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:52 pm

nolada wrote:Hello there,
I just read most of here and I got one question
Is cancelling my current passport and apply for British passport will solve that problem?
That is the route my wife took in the end;
she was finally granted a British passport (in married name) after submitting the cancelled passport (in maiden name) plus a letter from her embassy confirming the cancellation.

In her case the act of becoming British had actually nullified her previouis citizenship too but HMPO wouildn't accept our say-so about that. And the HMPO legal department gave the official incorrect legal advice about it, (again they wouldn't accept my correction on that point), hence the need for the letter.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:03 pm

sanu84 wrote:Hi guys,

I'm going to apply for naturalisation in about 2 weeks. As many of you in this topic I would like to use my married name in the British passport. Cancelling my foreign passport or changing the name in my foreign passport is not an option for me.

What I understand so far is that the HMPO will not issue the 1st British passport in the married name if the foreign passport is still in the maiden name.

I would like to ask if the following will work?

1. Apply for naturalisation using my maiden name
2. Apply for the 1st British passport with my maiden name
3. Change my name to married name through deed poll and apply for a new British passport with my married name.

Many thanks.
If at step 3 you still hold an uncancelled passport in your previous name you may hit the same problem and face a refusal for the British passport in new name.
As the new identity policy guidance says, an uncancelled passport takes precedence over a deed poll & similar documents.

If cancelling the present passport is not an option you will have to make a good case and provide evidence - as others have done successfully, (described in recent posts).

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:14 pm

KristinaL wrote:After reading this post I am not sure what to do.

I got my approval letter and just waiting for the ceremony now, afterwards I will apply for my Passport. During my application I got married and changed my surname. On the certificate it will still be my old surname and my EEA passport still has my old surname.

1. If i change my surname in my EEA passport it won't be the same, because (don't ask why) this EEA country changes surname with an "a" for girls and "s" for boys in the end. For example surname SMith will be Smitha in the passport.

2. Do I apply for BP in my old name, then cancel my EEA passport and then apply with my new name?

3. Do I try to apply with my new name, even thou my EEA passport in my old name?

Help pleasE?

thank you.
1) Is there any exception to this practice if, as in your case, you marry a foreigner (& will be living abroad from your country)?
I seem to recall a post in this forum about such an exception being possible in certain circumstances in certain European countries.

2) This should work but involves extra time & cost (applying for BP twice over & 'wasting' one).

3) If you are able to cancel your EEA passport (as you suggested in option 2) then why not cancel it and apply in new name directly.
If it is cancelled your EEA passport will not have to be submitted with the British passport application.
You will have a marriage certificate to support your change of name from the one you were naturalised in.

Good luck.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:26 pm

imoustache wrote:Hi there.

Thanks a lot guys!
The current practices of HO's naturalisation section & HMPO are currently different &, in some cases, incompatible.
So HO should 'quite happily' naturalise you in your married name if you present your marriage certificate plus passport in maiden name (etc etc).
You may then find HMPO refuse you a passport to avoid creating & issuing you with a 'second identity'. So, yes, you may face problems, (just as my wife did).

Is it possible to cancel your Brazilian passport :?: (after naturalising in married name).
But find out before you submit the naturalisation application just in case cancellation is not permitted by Brazilian law :!:
If so you should be able to naturalise in your intended name &, (with the maiden name passport cancelled), should be able to apply for the British passport in married name.
This is the route that worked for my wife.

if you can't cancel the Brazil passport and still wish to shoot for married name then you will have to make the case to HMPO with good supporting evidence, as outlined by others above.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:37 pm

Many congratulations, I was very pleased to hear you have made it;
- and you are the first here to verify that the 'passport observation'-option (as described in the new identity policy) really is viable & can actually be obtained.

mimimari26
Newly Registered

Post by mimimari26 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:46 am

Dear Hellonewhere

May i ask where is your foreign passport from ?

Many thanks

Antsmall

Post by Antsmall » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:45 am

So, the solution that the passport people gave to hellonewhere is exactly what I have been suggesting all this time, for instance on 28 July:
If anyone does talk to a solicitor or anything like that, I would strongly suggest pushing for a very simple solution, which is to add a note in the passport indicating that the holder is also known by their maiden name on passport number X issued by country Y. That way, we could have the name of our choice on our British passports (because British citizens are supposed to have the right to choose their names and shouldn't have to relinquish that just because their other nationality is less generous in that regard: that would be discrimination on the basis of holding another citizenship) and at the same time, the government's alleged fears about fraud or terrorism or other criminal activity being facilitated by CONCEALED foreign identities would be completely allayed. There would be no concealed foreign identities. Every single time the British passport was viewed, the different name on the foreign passport would be revealed. I think this is a reasonable and staggeringly simple and easy solution, if only they'd pay attention.
If only they'd incorporate this into a clear procedure: if the applicant cannot change the name on their foreign passport, insert a note into the British passport saying that the holder is known as name X on passport number Y issued by country Z. End of problem. End of security fears about 'secret identities'.

Also, in reply to sanu84 who said this:
What I understand so far is that the HMPO will not issue the 1st British passport in the married name if the foreign passport is still in the maiden name.

I would like to ask if the following will work?

1. Apply for naturalisation using my maiden name
2. Apply for the 1st British passport with my maiden name
3. Change my name to married name through deed poll and apply for a new British passport with my married name.
Applications for first adult passports are especially stringent and require the submission of original uncancelled foreign passports. However, even when merely renewing a passport, a dual national must now submit colour photocopies of any uncancelled foreign passport and be prepared to send the originals upon request, or face criminal charges. You can read about this here:
http://www.qwealthreport.com/british-du ... nt-spying/
I must dash and therefore can't find the more specific regulations about renewals and colour photocopies (the article only refers to page five, section three of this https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... s_4_14.pdf) but they do exist.

Charimito
Newly Registered

Post by Charimito » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:58 pm

Has anyone willingly withdrawn their application? Ann how long did it take to get your documents back?

Thanks!

mimimari26
Newly Registered

Post by mimimari26 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:59 am

charimito

HMPO will first ask you to send to them a request letter of course with your signature .

When they receive your withdrawn formal letter probably you should have your documents back within 2 weeks time.

I sent mine with next day delivery , i received my documents 10 days after that letter.

Glad To help

masterofpuppets

Post by masterofpuppets » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:28 pm

Hi.i have been watching this topic for a long time now and a bit worried about the new policy. can anyone advice me what i need to do.
i have already received my first passport and i was hoping to change my name on it for personal reason after i got it. i do not care about the double cost. my other eu passport will expire very soon and changing name on that passport is a headache and you should have an exceptional circumstances to do so. what i was thinking is to change my name by deed poll in the uk and apply for the new BP however i know i need to send any other passports with it. as i am not applying for the first british passport ,do i still need to send the other expired passport with the application again.
what would you guys suggest me to do.i would really appreciate if any of you had the similar case.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:57 pm

masterofpuppets wrote:Hi.i have been watching this topic for a long time now and a bit worried about the new policy. can anyone advice me what i need to do.
i have already received my first passport and i was hoping to change my name on it for personal reason after i got it. i do not care about the double cost. my other eu passport will expire very soon and changing name on that passport is a headache and you should have an exceptional circumstances to do so. what i was thinking is to change my name by deed poll in the uk and apply for the new BP however i know i need to send any other passports with it. as i am not applying for the first british passport ,do i still need to send the other expired passport with the application again.
what would you guys suggest me to do.i would really appreciate if any of you had the similar case.
As per HMPO guidance you have to submit all uncancelled passports if renewing due to name change.

And according to the ''names crackdown' guidance on identity policy, passports take precedence over deed polls.

So, until this policy has been challenged & amended, HMPO is clearly playing hardball regardless of laws & practicalities in other countries.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:01 pm

Another encouraging sign of common sense being applied by HMPO for someone (German) with two names & no way to change one:
...going through a similar issue. I have dual nationality and German law doesn't recognise voluntary deed poll name changes so I can't update my name on my German passport. HMPO sent the standard template reply regarding this and before reading this site, I emailed back suggesting the (rather simple!) solution of adding my previous name as an observation
Update on the above comment: HMPO resolved my issue without too much hassle. Nicely surprised. My situation might be different though as I already have 6 years' evidence that I use (only) my legal name and I also asked my local MP to contact them
See https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ment-62763

Musicbox
Newly Registered

Post by Musicbox » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:03 pm

Hi Team and members..

Good news hearing hellonewhere managed to get their first UK passport in their married name still holding a foreign passport in their maiden name.
I'm still in a in the situation that my Thai wife's passport is in her maiden name which we don't wish to cancel or change as she has family and land in Thailand which would be a nightmare and cost to change (if it even can). We've looked into changing but realise it's too much of a problem to do, so staying the same.

My question is shall we just get her Naturalisation in her maiden name and simply apply for her UK passport in her maiden name even though we're married with a different names and all her documents in the UK show her married name (driving licence, Bank, Insurance, Employment etc..) I don't know if they would put an observation in her passport stating she's married and also know as.... Seems like double identity all over again..

OR

Should do we apply for her Naturalisation in our married name and try and fight it out like hellonewhere has? It seems so crazy the HO and the HMPO don't agree on something which should be so logical to do with a marriage certificate as evidence :( I don't know which way to do her Naturalisation now. If ANYONE can help with sound advice, we'd appreciate it so much (not based on pure guesswork please)

Regards and many thanks in advance
Roy
Last edited by Musicbox on Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:12 pm

Musicbox wrote:Hi Team and members..

Good news hearing hellonewhere managed to get their first UK passport in their married name still holding a foreign passport in maiden name.
I'm still in a in the situation that my Thai wife's passport is in her maiden name which we don't wish to cancel or change as she has family and land in Thailand which would be a nightmare and cost to change (if it even can). We've looked into changing but realise it's too much of a problem to do, so staying the same.

My question is shall we just get her Naturalisation in her maiden name and simply apply for her UK passport in her maiden name even though we're married with a different names and all her documents in the UK show her married name (driving licence, Bank, Insurance, Employment etc..) I don't know if they would put an observation in her passport stating she's married and also know as.... Seems like double identity all over again..

OR

Should do we apply for her Naturalisation in our married name and try and fight it out like hellonewhere has? It seems so crazy the HO and the HMPO don't agree on something which should be so logical to do with a marriage certificate as evidence :( I don't know which way to do her Naturalisation now. If ANYONE can help with sound advice, we'd appreciate it so much (not based on pure guesswork please)

Roy
Roy,
Everything we know is in this thread (or linked to it).
You can see the various successes there have been and how they were achieved.

HMPO is now showing itself capable of applying its new rules with a modicum of flexibility for the edge cases.

It just depends if you can persuade them that yours falls into that category too.
Suggest you contact the helpline & talk it through with them or better still do it in writing.

Good luck.

mimimari26
Newly Registered

Post by mimimari26 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:19 am

Dear noajthan

I have a question, after cancelation of the Philippines passport , did they add you wife previous name on the british passport as well?

like she also know as **** !

many thanks

quote="noajthan"]
Musicbox wrote:Hi Team and members..

Good news hearing hellonewhere managed to get their first UK passport in their married name still holding a foreign passport in maiden name.

OR

Roy
Roy,
Everything we know is in this thread (or linked to it).
You can see the various successes there have been and how they were achieved.

HMPO is now showing itself capable of applying its new rules with a modicum of flexibility for the edge cases.

It just depends if you can persuade them that yours falls into that category too.
Suggest you contact the helpline & talk it through with them or better still do it in writing.

Good luck.[/quote]

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:24 am

mimimari26 wrote:Dear noajthan

I have a question, after cancelation of the Philippines passport , did they add you wife previous name on the british passport as well?

like she also know as **** !

many thanks
mimimari,
No, HMPO did not entertain that option for us (we did ask).
Passport is in married name only with no reference to former (maiden) name.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:04 am

noajthan wrote:mimimari,
No, HMPO did not entertain that option for us (we did ask).
Passport is in married name only with no reference to former (maiden) name.
The identity policy is a total nonsense really; she still uses both names in this country & maiden name in original home country (where UK has no jurisdiction).
All HMPO seemed to want to achieve was to suppress the foreign passport (which they did achieve).