ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ouflak1

Re: Passport refused - uncancelled passport in maiden name

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:29 am

Antsmall wrote:Any thoughts?
I still think the lot of you in this situation have a slam-dunk class action suit against the UK government based on discrimination against women and violation of Article 13 of The Universal Declaration if Human Rights to which the UK is a signatory. And I think that is the case no matter what 'refreshers' they put out to their idiotically obtuse implementation of their rules.

habibi75
Newly Registered

Post by habibi75 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:34 pm

I havent heard anything, i havent even recieve a letter with reason for refusal just a phone call. I am in limbo.it feel like you have no right just HMPO examinar. Dont let us see the new rule :shock:

Iman230

Post by Iman230 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:28 pm

Hi,

Like everyone in this helpful thread, I thought I would add some questions for my wife who is going to apply for her first passport following naturalisation to the UK.

- She is of Tanzanian birth and cannot hold dual nationality
- Her current passport is in her maiden name
- Her UK Naturalisation certificate is in her married name
- The UK Home Office require name changed on her foreign passport, however the Tanzanian high commission will not do this and require renunciation and surrender of passport and nationality

Question: What process can we follow?

Or do we follow as nojathan suggests that we get cancellation on her foreign passport (Her passport also expires in Nov 15)
via Tanzanian High commission and submit letter and retain foreign passport as it will be cancelled or like the lady in this thread sent a covering letter advising that she intends to use her married name and does not intend to use her maiden name

If anyone can help with simple answer it will make it easier!
Thanks in advance

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:50 pm

Iman230 wrote:Hi,

Like everyone in this helpful thread, I thought I would add some questions for my wife who is going to apply for her first passport following naturalisation to the UK.

- She is of Tanzanian birth and cannot hold dual nationality
- Her current passport is in her maiden name
- Her UK Naturalisation certificate is in her married name
- The UK Home Office require name changed on her foreign passport, however the Tanzanian high commission will not do this and require renunciation and surrender of passport and nationality

Question: What process can we follow?

Or do we follow as nojathan suggests that we get cancellation on her foreign passport (Her passport also expires in Nov 15)
via Tanzanian High commission and submit letter and retain foreign passport as it will be cancelled or like the lady in this thread sent a covering letter advising that she intends to use her married name and does not intend to use her maiden name

If anyone can help with simple answer it will make it easier!
Thanks in advance
Suggest it depends how accommodating & flexible the embassy may be (compared to HMPO).

You mention an expiring passport.
1) If you can persuade the embassy to cancel that expired passport then you do not need to submit it to HMPO.
Problem solved.

2) If embassy could issue a new passport in new name then that is clearly what HMPO will prefer & require.

3) If that is not possible (& you report that it is not) then you need some sort of letter from the embassy confirming that fact.

You would then need to submit that evidence (inability to update passport) to HMPO & make your case to have a 'names observation' entry in your British passport.

4) Clearly least favourable option: consider whether renouncing original nationality (& passport) is a viable option.

Good luck.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

nolada

Post by nolada » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:36 pm

Hello iam in same thing .. I changed my name by deep poll .. I thought I will cancel my passport from embassy before I apply for British one but my embassy refused to cancelling my passport!!! Don't know what to do and I don't want to give up my original nationality ... What about if I reported my passport stolen/lost to police is that may help?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:51 pm

nolada wrote:Hello iam in same thing .. I changed my name by deep poll .. I thought I will cancel my passport from embassy before I apply for British one but my embassy refused to cancelling my passport!!! Don't know what to do and I don't want to give up my original nationality ... What about if I reported my passport stolen/lost to police is that may help?
That may cause other complications.
To declare a passport as stolen would involve filing a police report; (potential waste of police time).

And if not actually lost or stolen it would involve making false declaration/s;
that is inadvisable when dealing with any kind of official agency (HO or HMPO or police service).

Suggestions 2 & 3 in my post above may help you move ahead.

nolada

Post by nolada » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:00 pm

I'm sure I will not use my original passport any more will set fire to it and that will be the end after reporting it lost mmm but is that will solve my problem or any one have different ideas?

habibi75
Newly Registered

Post by habibi75 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:23 pm

I am still waiting to hear does anybody had the luxury to get a british passport yet? Be

mrjsg

Post by mrjsg » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:51 pm

Hi,
Wondering if anyone advise please?

I'm applying for nationalization with my wife end of this month.
My wife have maiden name every where and we want to change it to my surname. We hold Indian passport and will cancel it after getting British.
Can you please advise which is the easy way to do that?

Thanks All.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:30 pm

mrjsg wrote:Hi,
Wondering if anyone advise please?

I'm applying for nationalization with my wife end of this month.
My wife have maiden name every where and we want to change it to my surname. We hold Indian passport and will cancel it after getting British.
Can you please advise which is the easy way to do that?

Thanks All.
This is what HO wishes your wife to do (whether possible or not):
Update name & Indian passport to married name.
Apply to naturalise in UK in married name.
Apply for first British passport in married name.
Use only married name.

There are 1 or 2 examples earlier in this thread of Indian applicants so you could search for them & see what they did & how they got on in practice.
Hope it helps.

mrjsg

Post by mrjsg » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:55 pm

Thanks noajthan,

Sounds good.. Do we also need to change same on ILR biometric card? before applying for Naturalization?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:31 pm

mrjsg wrote:Thanks noajthan,

Sounds good.. Do we also need to change same on ILR biometric card? before applying for Naturalization?
BRP has its own requirements; any change to be notified within 3 months or face a fine - something like that.
See https://www.gov.uk/change-circumstances ... have-a-brp

So it all depends on the relative timings of all the various applications you are making.

ILR14
Newly Registered

Post by ILR14 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:32 pm

Hello all

Would passport office accept to issue the passport on my maiden name, if naturalisation is on married name, provided I can show that I use my maiden name for all purposes?

My husband being British (without experience of all the rules and problems that non-British face) insisted to change my name to married name and was of the view that when applying for naturalisation would be the perfect time to do that. So I recently got a letter saying that my application is successful, however my name does not match that in the international passport. I use my maiden name everywhere, so to change that would be a pain as you may imagine and to change it in my foreign passport would not be possible at the moment (I don't want to give it up). Yes, I know, very silly mistake, but would you please advise what are my options in this situation? I can't even look forward to my ceremony anymore because of this :( Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:56 pm

ILR14 wrote:Hello all

Would passport office accept to issue the passport on my maiden name, if naturalisation is on married name, provided I can show that I use my maiden name for all purposes?

My husband being British (without experience of all the rules and problems that non-British face) insisted to change my name to married name and was of the view that when applying for naturalisation would be the perfect time to do that. So I recently got a letter saying that my application is successful, however my name does not match that in the international passport. I use my maiden name everywhere, so to change that would be a pain as you may imagine and to change it in my foreign passport would not be possible at the moment (I don't want to give it up). Yes, I know, very silly mistake, but would you please advise what are my options in this situation? I can't even look forward to my ceremony anymore because of this :( Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Congratulations on your naturalisation.
You've achieved something precious so do try to make the most of your day.

Don't feel so bad, we fell into same trap earlier in the year (when the new HO policy on names/identity was not even published & publicised).

You will get your British passport too, sooner or later.

The approach you have outlined may well work.
You may just find that HMPO will require a letter confirming your intent to revert to full use of your maiden name.

Best of luck.

Marii
Newly Registered

Post by Marii » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:29 am

ILR14 wrote:Hello all

Would it possiable for Home Office to issue your nat.certificate on your maiden name if you corrected your name in application form for naturalisation. I understand you have not received certificate yet?
Last edited by Marii on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marii
Newly Registered

Post by Marii » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:38 am

nolada wrote:Hello iam in same thing .. I changed my name by deep poll .. I thought I will cancel my passport from embassy before I apply for British one but my embassy refused to cancelling my passport!!! Don't know what to do and I don't want to give up my original nationality ... What about if I reported my passport stolen/lost to police is that may help?
nolada wrote:I'm sure I will not use my original passport any more will set fire to it and that will be the end after reporting it lost mmm but is that will solve my problem or any one have different ideas?
What if HMPO will require to restore your original passport? As Nat. certificate is not ID on its own, you will need document to prove your identity, before HMPO will issue you UK passport.
Are you sure you don't need your original passport anymore ever in your life? So why do you want to keep your original citizenship?

What about to change name in your original passport?
What name your nat/certificate contains?

ILR14
Newly Registered

Post by ILR14 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:29 am

Thanks a lot for those who replied. I have asked to change the name on the certificate. I have not received the invitation to the ceremony yet and yes didn't have my certificate yet. Hopefully that will work...

mimimari26
Newly Registered

Post by mimimari26 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:35 am

Dear noajthan
I have a question is hmpo included maiden name on the observation page of you wife's passport?

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:54 am

mimimari26 wrote:Dear noajthan
I have a question is hmpo included maiden name on the observation page of you wife's passport?
No HMPO did not agree to do that at the time (ie during initial confusion & lack of published guidance on the new identity policy);
however, more recently, a few other members have managed to achieve that option.

mimimari26
Newly Registered

Post by mimimari26 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:27 am

noajthan,,
Thank you
I have recived my BP 2 months ago, HMPO included my old name on the observation page, im not happy with it, whats a point of changing my name with deedpoll if my old name still inmy passport.
Since than i have applied from the embassy of my foreign passport to cancel my passport, finally they agreed but did not give me any confirmation letter just returned the canceled passport.

i want to apply again for new british pass, including the foreign canceled passport and British and request to remove the observation as i no longer hold a valid passport.

do you think that would be fine to remove the old name from observation page?

mimimari26
Newly Registered

Post by mimimari26 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:56 pm

noajthan wrote:
mimimari26 wrote:Dear noajthan
No HMPO did not agree to do that at the time (ie during initial confusion & lack of published guidance on the new identity policy);
however, more recently, a few other members have managed to achieve that option.

Dear noajthan
i would appreciate if you could help me with my previous question !

thanks

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:59 pm

mimimari26 wrote:noajthan,,
Thank you
I have recived my BP 2 months ago, HMPO included my old name on the observation page, im not happy with it, whats a point of changing my name with deedpoll if my old name still inmy passport.
Since than i have applied from the embassy of my foreign passport to cancel my passport, finally they agreed but did not give me any confirmation letter just returned the canceled passport.

i want to apply again for new british pass, including the foreign canceled passport and British and request to remove the observation as i no longer hold a valid passport.

do you think that would be fine to remove the old name from observation page?
I think this is uncharted territory; suggest you write to HMPO to ask them.
(They may not immediately understand why you want to do this as you have a 'perfectly valid' British passport).

Skyfall007
Newly Registered

Post by Skyfall007 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:56 pm

Hi

I have recently applied for British naturalisation under my Married name with Indian passport which has a maiden name as I am planning to change my last name, and thought this is the great oppostunity.
I know lots of people did this was in last few years.
But I have received the letter from Home Office saying my Naturalisation application has been successful but HM Passport office will not issue a BBritish passport in a name that is different to any other passport document. Also suggesting me to change the Indian passport first.

Is this possible though because timelines are difficult as I would need to get my Certificate by attending Citizenship Ceremony and after the ceremony I will be British citizen. And after that why would Indian embassy will give me new passport??

Can anyone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:59 pm

Skyfall007 wrote:Hi

I have recently applied for British naturalisation under my Married name with Indian passport which has a maiden name as I am planning to change my last name, and thought this is the great oppostunity.
I know lots of people did this was in last few years.
But I have received the letter from Home Office saying my Naturalisation application has been successful but HM Passport office will not issue a BBritish passport in a name that is different to any other passport document. Also suggesting me to change the Indian passport first.

Is this possible though because timelines are difficult as I would need to get my Certificate by attending Citizenship Ceremony and after the ceremony I will be British citizen. And after that why would Indian embassy will give me new passport??

Can anyone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
If you search in this posting you will find other members (who were originally Indian nationals) who faced the very same dilemma - and how they were addressed.

mimimari26
Newly Registered

Post by mimimari26 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:33 am

dear noajthan

Thanks for the help,
When i applied for my first British pass after 5b months, HMPO insisted to cancel my foreign passport, but i couldn't at the time, because the embassy said to cancel a passport you must have valid British passport with a different name.
After i received my BP, I had to hire a lawyer in my birth country to apply for the cancelation. it was almost a nightmare they canceled the passport but didnt provide me with a letter of cancelation.

What if i apply again for BP and mention my old application number ? they would know about the previous application?