ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registered or Naturalized?/ duplicate certificate/ Birth

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Pork Pie
Newly Registered

Registered or Naturalized?/ duplicate certificate/ Birth

Post by Pork Pie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:43 am

Hello, I have searched through a myriad of information regarding citizenship, including not only thsi site but also the very good Wiki explanations of British Nationality, but still have some questions I am unable to answer and would be grateful for some help.

To the case:

Born overseas (non commonwealth) and as a child was a holder a UK passport (Brit. Subject).

Went to live in the UK as a 9 yr old (1977).

Have a passport that when renewed as a 17yr old in 1985 was stamped (page 5) with "The holder is a British citizen under the provisions of the British Nationality Act, 1981" and "Holder is entitled to readmission to the United Kingdom" has been crossed out. Also on the first page "British Subject: Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies" had been crossed out and "See page 5" written next to it.

Besides my current valid UK passport the above earlier passport is my only other proof of UK citizenship. I do not know if I was naturalised or registered (more likely as a child I think), and wish to find out if I can establish more clearly what my status is as regards how citizenship was conferred and secondly if I can get a copy/ duplicate of said certificate.

These questions have cropped up as I married in the UK a little over a year ago to an Australian who was there on an Ancestry visa. Now we both live in Asutralia and have a small one on the way.

My understanding is that as my nationality appears to be otherwise than by descent, citizenship could be conferred through me without even the need to register the birth at the consulate (although would register it and apply for a passport very soon after birth), but am slightly concerned as I am unsure as to how my Citizenship status was exactly conferred and also although under normal circumstances citizenship cannot be revoked, have also read that when naturalised and not living in the UK for more than 24 months it may be revoked.

Thank you for taking the time to read this

John

Post by John » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:06 am

My understanding is that as my nationality appears to be otherwise than by descent ............
Why? You were born outside the UK and are only British because of one of your parents. That is, your parent was British otherwise than by descent, which means that their born-outside-the-UK children, including you, are British by descent.

Accordingly your own born-outside-the-UK children will not be British.
I do not know if I was naturalised or registered ......
Well neither, based upon what you have posted you were born British. There was no need for a form to be filled in, in order to make you British.
John

Pork Pie
Newly Registered

Post by Pork Pie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:27 am

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

My Dad's Subject Status was updated to Citizen in 1980, ie after I was born.

I don't understand then if I as you say I am a Citizen by descent, I have a passport where my status changes from Subject to Citizen after 8 years in the UK, and was not a full citizen from birth?

John

Post by John » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:55 am

My Dad's Subject Status was updated to Citizen in 1980, ie after I was born.
It might have been useful if you had mentioned that in the first place.

But this is quite technical and I hope that my Moderator colleague JAJ, who is very knowledgeable on these matters, will see this and post a reply.
John

Pork Pie
Newly Registered

Post by Pork Pie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:02 am

Yes John, thanks for your understanding, these cases are all fairly complex. Many thanks

vinny

Re: Registered or Naturalized?/ duplicate certificate/ Birth

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:44 am

Pork Pie wrote:have also read that when naturalised and not living in the UK for more than 24 months it may be revoked.
Where did you read this?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Pork Pie
Newly Registered

Post by Pork Pie » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:08 pm

Have not kept the link unfortunately, will try and unearth it....

John

Post by John » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:10 pm

Have not kept the link unfortunately, will try and unearth it....
Hmm ... that would be interesting! It is of course totally incorrect. Suspect that when you find the link, if you can, it will refer to ILR and not to Citizenship.
John