ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registering a Child as a British Citizen

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Craiglrx
Newly Registered

Registering a Child as a British Citizen

Post by Craiglrx » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:23 pm

Hey Guys and gals,

I am hoping someone here might be able to give me some valuable advice.

My wife and I have been in the UK for almost 14 years, most of the last few years have been spent with ILR. Unfortunately due to a few bad business decisions we have been to hell and back. I am now in a position to register my children as citizens, which they do qualify for. However, here's the kicker. My oldest(7) also has ILR, but my youngest(4) has not been registered anywhere. I did not register her as a South African citizen nor has she got any SA documentation.

Now, do I have to register her as South African first before I apply for citizenship for them?

Really appreciate your help.

Kind regards,

Craig

ouflak1

Re: Registering a Child as a British Citizen

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:10 pm

Craiglrx wrote:Hey Guys and gals,

I am hoping someone here might be able to give me some valuable advice.

My wife and I have been in the UK for almost 14 years, most of the last few years have been spent with ILR. Unfortunately due to a few bad business decisions we have been to hell and back. I am now in a position to register my children as citizens, which they do qualify for. However, here's the kicker. My oldest(7) also has ILR, but my youngest(4) has not been registered anywhere. I did not register her as a South African citizen nor has she got any SA documentation.

Now, do I have to register her as South African first before I apply for citizenship for them?
The citizenship of other countries has nothing to do with the citizenship of the United Kingdom. The UK has no prohibition against multiple nationalities and certainly no requirement thereof. It is also not required that the child have ILR to register for British citizenship. Just to be sure of a few things, when did you get ILR, and when was the second child born?

Craiglrx
Newly Registered

Post by Craiglrx » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:17 am

Morning!

Thanks for the reply...we've had ILR now for the best part of 3 years, with my daughter being born about 6 months prior to us obtaining ILR. We qualify on every possible grounds for them to get citizenship, but my concern is that she is not currently registered as citizen in any country. All she has is a birth certificate stating, obviously, that she was born here.

Thanks!

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:05 am

UK born children are now entitled to register.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.