ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traffic offence & British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

lina katen
Newly Registered

Traffic offence & British Citizenship

Post by lina katen » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:56 pm

Hi

A friend has asked me to post the following questions.

I applied for citizenship 5 days ago based on 5 year resident and 1year ILR and then I realized that I had a few traffic offence that I did not declare. SO I have send a follow up letter with proof of my offences from the DVLA.
The offences were in December 2007. One is for speeding 45 mph on a 30 mph zone and another for driving while using a mobile phone. I got 3 points for each on my license. The 6 points will be removed from my licence on December 2010.
How will my traffic offences effect my citizenship application and will I get rejected due to them?

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:45 pm

Were there given in court and was there a fine?

lina katen
Newly Registered

Post by lina katen » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:35 pm

The points were not given by the court however there is a court convinction code on the counter part but it was given by DVLA.

senthil78
Member of Standing

Re: Traffic offence & British Citizenship

Post by senthil78 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:15 am

lina katen wrote:Hi

A friend has asked me to post the following questions.

I applied for citizenship 5 days ago based on 5 year resident and 1year ILR and then I realized that I had a few traffic offence that I did not declare. SO I have send a follow up letter with proof of my offences from the DVLA.
The offences were in December 2007. One is for speeding 45 mph on a 30 mph zone and another for driving while using a mobile phone. I got 3 points for each on my license. The 6 points will be removed from my licence on December 2010.
How will my traffic offences effect my citizenship application and will I get rejected due to them?
Have you read good character requirement? Sorry to say that your application will be refused. As per the good character requirement guide in the section 3.2.5, driving while using mobile phone is a major offence and need to wait 5 years from the date of endorsement on your license.

NiiKpani

Post by NiiKpani » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:05 am

lina katen wrote:The points were not given by the court however there is a court convinction code on the counter part but it was given by DVLA.
don't worry buddy, you've already applied and there's nothing you can do about it. Its not cut and dry that you will be refused. I had more serious offences than you but i still got approved. there is still hope (against the odds, albeit seemingly unlikely), so keep hoping and praying till the very last minute. You will be shocked when you hear my story

edge_
Newly Registered

Post by edge_ » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:46 am

NiiKpani wrote:
lina katen wrote:The points were not given by the court however there is a court convinction code on the counter part but it was given by DVLA.
don't worry buddy, you've already applied and there's nothing you can do about it. Its not cut and dry that you will be refused. I had more serious offences than you but i still got approved. there is still hope (against the odds, albeit seemingly unlikely), so keep hoping and praying till the very last minute. You will be shocked when you hear my story

i would like to hear ur story plz

jimbo_uk

Post by jimbo_uk » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:26 pm

The fact the conviction code was given by the DVLA does not mitigate the offense. If you have an unspent conviction your application is unlikely to be successful.

If you are stateless or there are some other special circumstances they can apply discretion.

They are pretty good at finding out if you have a conviction and have not declared it - I strongly suggest you write a follow-up letter to your application and do your best the explain the situation.

Alvin88
Newly Registered

Post by Alvin88 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:26 am

Any luck with your application?

lina katen
Newly Registered

Post by lina katen » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:03 pm

Sorry for such a delay in replying. AS i forgot about the question i posted for my friend. The good news my friend got it. He however did disclouse all the information about the traffic offence. They will check your criminal and minor offence history. As long as you tell them about it and it is not a serious offence that did not go to court it should be fine. Good luck to everyone.
Alvin88 wrote:Any luck with your application?

ilrseeker
Newly Registered

Post by ilrseeker » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:30 pm

thats interesting , because as per the AN guidelines , use of mobile phone while driving is a major offence.