ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traveling out of UK between citizenship ceremony and passport receipt

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bariaji
Newly Registered
India

Traveling out of UK between citizenship ceremony and passport receipt

Post by bariaji » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:28 am

Hi,

I recently received the letter approving my UK citizenship. I cannot get a date for the citizenship ceremony until next month. However, I am due to travel out of the UK ( to India ) soon after the ceremony. Hence, I won't be able to apply for and receive the British passport in time. Is it okay to travel with the my current Indian passport after I have been granted British Citizenship under these circumstances ? If so, is there any grace period within which I can still use the Indian passport as my travel document ?

Thanks
bariaji

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Traveling out of UK between citizenship ceremony and passport receipt

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:33 am

How will you return to the UK as you are required to return your ILR BRP card to HO within 5 days of your ceremony?? Your naturalisation certificate is not a travel document and won't be accepted by an airline to board a plane back.

Have you considered booking and paying for a private ceremony on a sooner date?

You have a grace period of 90 days that you can use the Indian passport without penalty from the date you become British.

British passports are currently taking 1 to 2 weeks.

If you are not going to be away for long and it is only holiday season visit, I would suggest you reschedule your ceremony to a date once you are back in the UK so you can travel.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bariaji
Newly Registered
India

Post by bariaji » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:47 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:33 am

You have a grace period of 90 days that you can use the Indian passport without penalty from the date you become British.

Does it mean that within 90 days of the receiving the British naturalization certificate I can travel to India without applying for an India Visa and return back to the UK if I have managed to receive the British passport before my travel ?

Thanks,
bariaji

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:49 am

bariaji wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:47 am
CR001 wrote:

Does it mean that within 90 days of the receiving the British naturalization certificate I can travel to India without applying for an India Visa and return back to the UK if I have managed to receive the British passport before my travel ?

Thanks,
bariaji
Yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bariaji
Newly Registered
India

Post by bariaji » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:20 am

CR001 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:49 am
bariaji wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:47 am
CR001 wrote:

Thanks,
bariaji
Yes.
I just looked up the Indian High Commission in London website FAQ where it states - if one has already obtained the British passport then the 90 days grace period from the date of naturalization won't apply.

dori_fish
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by dori_fish » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:43 pm

Suggest you re-schedule your British citizenship ceremony date to a later time when you have no travel commitments. This is the safest and most sensible option.