ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK citizenship for Romanian (EU) passport holders

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

John Green

UK citizenship for Romanian (EU) passport holders

Post by John Green » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:44 am

How long does it take for someone with a Romanian passport to get, once they come to live in the UK, a UK passport? And what is the procedure they have to follow please? Or is it assumed for example that their having the Romanian passport is enough, without their needing a UK passport as well (ie they would gain nothing from also having the UK passport)?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: UK citizenship for Romanian (EU) passport holders

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:45 am

Five years.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:05 am

Wanderer wrote:Five years.
Actually 6 years. They have to apply for a Permanent Residence card after 5 years of 'exercising Treaty rights' throughout (working, studying etc). One year later assuming all the standard requirements are met (including a pass in the Life in the UK test & B1 level English) they can apply for British Citizenship. Only when that is granted and they have attended their citizenship ceremony, will they be able to apply for a British passport.

Why are you asking? You appear to currently be applying for a UK spouse settlement visa? :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

John Green

Post by John Green » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:06 am

Thanks again for the usual quick and very helpful reply.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:06 am

John Green wrote:How long does it take for someone with a Romanian passport to get, once they come to live in the UK, a UK passport? And what is the procedure they have to follow please? Or is it assumed for example that their having the Romanian passport is enough, without their needing a UK passport as well (ie they would gain nothing from also having the UK passport)?
6 years (unless married to a British citizen), ie 5 years to acquire PR then 12 months to be free of immigration time restrictions before applying for privilege of citizenship.

Plus factor in Home Office processing times on top;
ie for:
  • optional RC (few weeks/months);
    mandatory confirmation of PR (several months);
    for citizenship (several months - year);
    for first British passport application (several weeks);
Forum FAQS may give you a bit more of an idea:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/britis ... 95747.html
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:08 am

Casa wrote:
Wanderer wrote:Five years.
Actually 6 years. They have to apply for a Permanent Residence card after 5 years of 'exercising Treaty rights' throughout (working, studying etc). One year later assuming all the standard requirements are met (including a pass in the Life in the UK test & B1 level English) they can apply for British Citizenship. Only when that is granted and they have attended their citizenship ceremony, will they be able to apply for a British passport.

Why are you asking? You appear to currently be applying for a UK spouse settlement visa? :|
I've edited my post. See above
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.