ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Canada Vs UK: Which is better ?

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:39 pm

Praise The Lord!!!!

rhianna
Newly Registered

Post by rhianna » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:21 pm

Just wondered if anyone has seen this website about Canada - www.notcanada.com and the forum here: www.notcanada.com/forum

Perhaps the OP might want to read through that as well before making a decision.

Every country in the world has got +ves and -ves.

Your comments will be appreciated.

Cheers!

sia2001

Post by sia2001 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:23 pm

it is not only ranting as one member put it. it is ppl's experience of Uk which makes them to say this. not all of these ppl are telling false. I think one should acknowledge the problems people face in their everyday life in the UK rather ignoring them. also if someone's has lived here for 3 or 4 or 5 odd yrs and have studied and work themselves thru finding a job, then these ppl have done very well in circumstances they had to face. it is not as easy to go back but these ppl fighted thier way out whihc shud be acknowledged..

kal

Post by kal » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:02 pm

Hi friends,

After considering all the suggestions and recommendations from all of you, I am planning to move out of UK, well looking for different options - US or Canada.

Wish me good luck

and Good Luck to all of U.

Bye
Kal

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:27 pm

I lived in UK for 11 months and I have been in Canada for 3 months now and let me tell you there is a lot of difference.

If I had my way, I probably would have stayed in the UK but only because its just a 6 hour flight back to Nigeria than a 14 hour flight from Toronto.

That said, my experience in Canada so far has been a better one both job wise and people relationship. When I was in UK, I did not know the people living next door to me, when I greet people they refuse to answer. People are generally rude and impolite.
Where I worked, no one bothered to learn how to pronounce my name - they avoided me like I plague and it demoralised me -I could go and on.

But in Canada - People are polite, smile at you, play with your kids, open the door for you. My office colleagues can correctly pronounce my name Everyone I meet is falling over to assist or help me and honestly I am having the time of my life.

I got a fantastic well paid job in the financial industry within 3 weeks of getting here. My husband is still struggling, but he has had better response than he did in UK.

I miss home but I missed home more when I was in Uk.

My experience here has been better, I am sure by the time I spend 11 months in Canada --- my UK experience will be a distant memory.

P.S The notcanada site is mainly for those complaining about highly regulated professions like doctors, lawyers and engineers. Those kind of jobs are almost impossible to get when you first arrive. So for anyone in that profession do your research and be ready to requalify no shortcuts.
I have met a lot of people in Canada who cant speak a correct sentence in english, how do you expect to get a job?

If you are in Finance, business or IT - good for you.
My bow has been renewed

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:11 pm

Err, yodiyokun, maybe you should change your location to read "Canada"? :lol: That's some interesting stuff...and also very true about having to re-qualify...it happens even for lawyers moving to/from the UK and US (so my American JD friends tell me!), so it isn't any form of beloved per se.

I agree that SOME Brits can be rude, just snobby...they act like the UK is the best place in the world and that they (the UK) did so much for the world. They probably also think that they have too large a burden re immigrants and asylum seekers (which is nonsense) and act like their culture is being eroded. Still no reason for rudeness but that is what I put it down to. Especially the not pronouncing names correctly....I know many people who, although from S. Asia or Africa, have very English names (first names and surnames), and certainly get treated differently on the phone than when they meet the person face-to-face. It's like :shock: "but I thought you were one of us" type of reaction! Or sometimes treated better than someone with a clearly foreign (Asian or African, sometimes S. American) name.

Obalende

Post by Obalende » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:26 pm

this is an honest view. I did 3 years of undergraduate study in engineering in UK. I am Nigerian (ok - hold it, im not an "economic migrant" or anything like that) but I am now thinking of moving to Canada - for weather, space and personality reasons- and I would like any advise from anyone about prospects in Canada- I am interested in embedded software development for the Telecoms sector or Field engineering in Oil and Gas;

My time in the UK was quite great and it I would always remember Birmingham as the City in which I grew into a young man and the friendliness of the British. I dont think British people dearly beloved at all; I think the natural reaction of an influx of immigrants into any country would be the same - up till today, MANY FOREIGNERS INCLUDING AFRICANS CONTINUE TO GAIN HIGH PROFILE JOBS IN THE UK. I just notice people are not outgoing, reserved (especially to foreigners), love to mind their own business which is great (but should not be extreme).

However, my primary reasons for wanting to move are:

1. Weather unpredictabiliy - too compact.
1b. Poor salary for engineering jobs.
2. Excesive reservation: it is good for people to mind their own business (I think its great), but not overdo it - I once had a bike accident in a tunnel and people just kept passing by because "Its not my business"; moreover, in many cases, its considered strange and wierd to just start a conversation with a stranger whereas I am very outgoing and consider it absolutely normal. I think people are generally too reserved for my personality and I would get bored. People dont care to say hi or bother knowing who lives next door (just knowing at a basic level ONLY)However, this is not a generalization, I do have several great and actual British friends whom I love.
3. Very easy to fall into debt that will take many years to recover and end up a slave to money to pay debts over many years.
4. Many people may look down on you if you are a foreigner (especially from Africa) but I am amazed at how reactions suddeny change to "nice", when either subtly, verbally or by demaneour, I demonstrate that I am far from being what they might subconsciously think - actually quite exposed globally; but by then too late for im gone.

People should understand that the British are not dearly beloved - they are only reacting to changes taking place in their environment which they have a right to.

sikand
Newly Registered

Same topic, with some new timelines

Post by sikand » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:14 pm

Hi guys

Today i am in same situation where MR Shankaran was there years back.

So what you finally did Mr. Shankara? Are you in UK to day or moved to Canada?

What you all people say on this topic today

Cheers

shahbazali
- thin ice -

Post by shahbazali » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:53 am

I have spent about 4 years in uk on different tiers. I feel myself very much lucky regarding job or businesses over here. I work in NHS as IT manager, I run a business of computer and mobile repairing, I run part time business of cars. I teach the students as well. even after struggeling a lot end of day I saved nothing. govt has made such policies and tricks that whatever you earn you return to them. I have no experience of canada but heard a lot that if I would be there it would be my golden days.
so dont think more and try Canada. life is only once, have some experiences.

enjoy Niagra fall.

sikand
Newly Registered

Post by sikand » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:27 am

Life is much more than Niagra dear...in case i move to Canada it will a long time decision. Might be final decision as i can't trap myself in this kind of situation again.

Can someone who has experience of both the courtiers, especially Ontario as province please provide your views on same.
thanks

jrge

Post by jrge » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:43 am

Hi,
sikand wrote:Life is much more than Niagra dear...in case i move to Canada it will a long time decision. Might be final decision as i can't trap myself in this kind of situation again.

Can someone who has experience of both the courtiers, especially Ontario as province please provide your views on same.
thanks
Canada is much more than the Niagaras Fall, and UK much more than London indeed. However, I commute weekly between Edmonton in Canada and London in UK; and this is my take on both countries:

UK: A well established country rich in history and culture; a place of financial success and innovation. Beautiful country side, and in general a magical place. The downside, overpopulated, expensive, bureaucratic and a bit impersonal.

Canada: A welcoming and cheerful younger country with vast resources and land, healthy banking system and solid economy. Breathtaking country side, and in general a great place to build wealth and have a peaceful life. Downside: it's cold, expensive and depending on which coast you live could be impersonal too.

I've lived in several other countries before -including the US-, and if I had to make a decision on which one to choose, I will not hesitate to say: Canada.
Life is short, so let's get moving!
* Passport received: Family Permit approved AUG-22, 2011
* Landed in the UK: DEC-04TH-2011
* Received RC: MAR-21ST-2012
* Back to North-America Jul 2012

Gagan1986

Post by Gagan1986 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:03 am

The only problem with UK is the uncertainty for people who have not got permanent residence status or British Passports as immigrations rules changes every third month and it is a torture for people to keep extending their visas. You cannot plan your life here as it will take good 10 years for you to know if you can live in this country forever or not(apart from Set M spouse visa)

Deviating from the topic, Australia is much better than both. Great climate(apart from western Aus where it goes up to 45c) but the pay scale is amazing. Minimum wage is 19 dollars per hour which is about £14. Where so you get that in UK?

manchi_boi
BANNED

Post by manchi_boi » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:16 pm

ofcourse Canada z far better, dnt come to this shitt place, these bastard all de care of £££££'s...take the money from u and get to those fuqin disables. shitt ppl disgracefull...may God rest them in HELL

Gagan1986

Post by Gagan1986 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:45 pm

manchi_boi wrote:ofcourse Canada z far better, dnt come to this shitt place, these bastard all de care of £££££'s...take the money from u and get to those fuqin disables. shitt ppl disgracefull...may God rest them in HELL
That are quite strong views but to some extend very true

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:45 pm

When God created this world he picked up every human and places it at specific place as this person meant to belong there. However he gave every one right to judge and migrate to other lands which they think are more perfect than the one God selected for them. However ultimately in the end we all got our complaints, and conclude them “world is not perfect”.
N/A

RUPS
Newly Registered

Post by RUPS » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:07 pm

Gagan1986 wrote:The only problem with UK is the uncertainty for people who have not got permanent residence status or British Passports as immigrations rules changes every third month and it is a torture for people to keep extending their visas. You cannot plan your life here as it will take good 10 years for you to know if you can live in this country forever or not(apart from Set M spouse visa)

Deviating from the topic, Australia is much better than both. Great climate(apart from western Aus where it goes up to 45c) but the pay scale is amazing. Minimum wage is 19 dollars per hour which is about £14. Where so you get that in UK?

Completely agree with you mate, that's 100% true :)

victormob
Newly Registered

LISTEN TO THIS

Post by victormob » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:01 pm

This is what I have got to say. If you think there exist a benevolent white person that will look after your needs -you kidding. But if you are thinking there exists a better place to live and enjoy a sound quality of life. Then it is Canada. Don't kick too much, ask an average Canadian if they ever wanted to live in the UK -bullshit you will hear. But ask the populace of Brits if they ever wanted to live in Canada, I won't be surprised you will hear a loud amen!
You have got to realize that Canada is one country where the systems in place is engineered to look after people. You probably will come across at most 14% tax. In the UK, it's way, way above that. You talking a rather life-tax of 21%. So imagine if you earn more money and liable to a tax of either 11% or 14% in Canada as suppose to 21% of tax in the UK. Where would you like to live.
Again, Canadians are generous. I once visited and rented a car, on my departure date, I returned the car. They offered to drop me at the train station. I said not to worry as I had missed my train to Quebec a few minutes ago. They quickly expressed their sympathy and asked me to have the car for free till the next day. Even if you are an angel, you won't get close to that level of generousness in the UK. No question asked.
Lastly for the level of immigration status you are being offered you are better going to Canada. Apart from voting rights and petty things you will be on the same level as Canadians, though you are yet to have a Canadian passport.
In the UK, you will be treated as a foreigner for the next five years of your life. It could be more as UK is now talking no more earned citizenship. So you may never get British citizenship. If you will need to go to uni, in the UK expect to pay as a foreign student as suppose to Canada.
The difference is huge. Do not be deceived. If you are truly concerned choose Canada, many years to come, you will agree!

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:17 am

The never ending discussion, glad, keep it alive. Very well said Victormob.

However Canada still lacks infrastructure development, understandably due to its vastness. Though its rated one of the best place for business ahead of UK; still UK enjoys its unique position in the world due to geographic and economic location. I feel there are more chances of becoming millionaire in UK than in Canada due to more population and buying power of people.
BBC, gateway to the world, reporting news from every where and quality and variety of programs. However, now BBC has suffered due to cut in funding.
You can fly to any corner of the world from UK, cheaper air tickets than Canada. More and cheap around the world holiday choices than Canada. Most museums, art gallery, parks free. You have access to world heritage, culture and history in UK.

I have also noticed that any new technology product (except Raspberry) is launched in UK first than in Canada. Why? You will get latest models and more choice and better price for TV, laptops, phones, whiteline goods, even home furnishing, and of course fashion. The clothes choice and style in UK are better than in Canada, though ironically many of them are American designers.
Extra curricular and adventurous activities for children better in UK. School trips to the continent and US helps as well.

All the above comes at an expense.

Canada natural beauty is outstanding, abundant natural resources, especially energy, cheaper than UK. Bit quiet and peaceful life in Canada. Less chances of terrorist attack.

Adventurous activities for adults, like sailing, skiing, mountaineering etc cheaper in Canada, I like their annual membership at a fraction of cost to that in UK.

You cannot save much in UK, as opposed to Canada. With Canadian citizenship, you can have access to American job market, yumm $$$$. In the long run you may be better off in Canada with an average job than in UK.

Finally on entering Canada, immigration officer make you feel comfortable welcomes you by saying "Welcome to Canada and Good Luck". Hands you all the brochures, leaflets etc to help you settle in Canada.

Do you think you will ever hear that in UK?

Disclaimer: The above is my personal view point. No one should make judgement or decision based on the above opinion.

ric1982
Member of Standing

Post by ric1982 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:13 am

Nice one. I cant say I am agree or disagree becoz I havent been to canada but from friends I heard its better in Canada then in UK.

I particularly hate the immigration policy in UK where they don't allow (or make it perti. difficult) to immigrate your immediate family! Its discriminatory and unjust.

Do you know about IT contract market in Canada? Is it similar to UK?

Saga

Post by Saga » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:46 pm

Neoseal and victormob have said all there is to be said.

It also depends on the sector you want to work in. I bet bankers, lawyers and artists are better off in UK. Doctors the same both countries and engineers most definitely in Canada where they atleast have a recognition as a profession unlike UK where any tom, dick or harry can become an "engineer".

Overall, I reckon that Canada is more immigrant friendly than UK because like U.S. it is built upon immigrants and value them as an important entity of their national identity. UK , unfortunately, is getting more hostile to immigration. Even the Queen talked about immigration in her speech this year!

dadageer
Mood:

Post by dadageer » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:02 pm

I stumbled upon this thread as I am also in a situation where I have to decide whether to stay in UK or move to Canada. I have read all the posts and can clearly see opinion is in favor of Canada than UK. I am in a bit of dilemma so would really like someone to give a honest opinion.

I am in UK for last 7 years now and will be applying for my British Citizenship soon. I am working as a Senior Network Engineer in a multinational firm here in Southern England. In 2012 I got Canadian Immigration as a result of my application in 2007. I visited my sister in Canada and quite liked the people, the houses and big wide roads. I have got quite a few of my relatives including my sister living in Canada. My parents will soon move to Canada as well.

Now I have to make decision before Sept 2014 either to stay here in UK or move to Canada as otherwise my PR status will be in jeopardy. I quite liked UK and being a footie fan I am not sure how I am going to watch all these EPL matches in Canada. I can understand there are people who are dearly beloved but then I may be in few lucky ones who didn't face any beloved personally. All my colleagues and managers have been very nice to me. Things I don't like about UK are small houses, small roads and expensive living. I think this is better in Canada but then I am not impressed at all by Canadian banks who charge on transactions and if you dont keep a minimum balance etc. Mobile services are quite expensive as well in Canada. I have heard there are lot of IT jobs in Canada and as I have UK experience I would not find it difficult to land in a good place.

Like I mentioned I will have British passport before I move to Canada so there is a chance I may return back if I don't like Canada but then I don't want to make a move if people say it's better here than Canada.

Please share you experience if you have been at both places. I would love to hear about your thoughts.
Not all those who wander are lost...

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:59 pm

[quote="dadageer"]I am in a bit of dilemma so would really like someone to give a honest opinion."

There is no honest or dishonest opinion in this matter.

"I visited my sister in Canada and quite liked the people, the houses and big wide roads."

The houses are big there (may be wastage of space), UK houses are comparatively small, but filled with good usage of space and utility. You may end up living in an apartment, where utilities like washing machine are shared, you may not like it. Limited space in apartment, may be stinky corridors due to lack of ventilation.

The road in UK may be small or narrow, but are well managed and drivers are more polite and definitely have better driving skills than in Canada. The traffic sense is better in UK. Pedestrian safety is prime in UK, unlike in Canada, where you can turn right even with green pedestrian green light.

Will continue later, have to go now....

Saga

Post by Saga » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:00 pm

dadageer wrote:In 2012 I got Canadian Immigration as a result of my application in 2007.
This is a digression but wondering why did it take so long - 5 years ? Usually the time taken from application to PR is around 2 years.
dadageer wrote: I am not impressed at all by Canadian banks who charge on transactions and if you dont keep a minimum balance etc.
This is new to me. Its a rip off from banks there , if true!

neoseal
Member of Standing

Post by neoseal » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:36 pm

[quote="dadageer"]
I have got quite a few of my relatives including my sister living in Canada. My parents will soon move to Canada as well."

In this case you may want to move, irrespective of good or bad as all of your family will be there.

"I quite liked UK and being a footie fan I am not sure how I am going to watch all these EPL matches in Canada."

May be on internet. If you want to move, start liking Ice hockey. :)

"I can understand there are people who are dearly beloved but then I may be in few lucky ones who didn't face any beloved personally. All my colleagues and managers have been very nice to me."

Believe me or not direct or indirect beloved is every where. It even persist in Canada, however in different way, like, from immigrants who have been there before you.

People on various forums have said that the most common excuse not to offer you a job is "you don't have Canadian experience". I haven't found similar excuse in UK.

UK, NARIC accepts more educational degrees as equivalent than Canadian counter parts. In Canada, if you have Canadian degree or European degree than good chance, otherwise you may end up doing an unwanted further development course.

"Things I don't like about UK are small houses, small roads and expensive living."

UK is tiny compared to Canada, everything is small, however, must appreciate the management skills, be it roads, hospitals, garbage collection so on..... Just think with such small space and population double of Canada, are we not doing well. In Canada, you will miss our roundabouts, and definitely get frustrated with cross roads. They have wide roads with no road management in place, such waste of road space. The worst thing is the road signs, so tiny you can hardly read from a moving car. Lots of other things related to public transport as well, like no cushion seats, however transport is cheaper there.

"I think this is better in Canada but then I am not impressed at all by Canadian banks who charge on transactions and if you dont keep a minimum balance etc."

Definitely true, their banking system is at least 10 years behind. They have monthly charge for account, however there are some free like President's Choice with no minimum balance requirement. You will miss the option of withdrawing from any atm in UK, as oppose to Canada where you have restriction to use your bank's atm or get charged. Their bank systems are not well connected as UK. Just try to find the interest rate for a personal loan on any banks website, it will not tell the interest rate, you have to call and ask. Their banking is not as regulated as UK.

Retail industry, the worst of all is, all their checkout staff in supermarkets have to stand, no seats provided at all, that is all over America, still can't figure out why? Their serving speed is half that of check out staff in UK, understandably, due to being standing long hours.

you will miss the ready meals selection of UK, the variety, taste and so on.

"Mobile services are quite expensive as well in Canada."

The mobile infrastructure is not well developed until recently, they have to recoup the cost from a very small population, hence pay more.

"I have heard there are lot of IT jobs in Canada and as I have UK experience I would not find it difficult to land in a good place."

Depends where you go, unemployment in Canada is 7.2%, while UK is 7.8%, what does it tell you? Salary is higher in Canada, so you will save lot more.

Just think why is £ stronger than Can $, there must be something in the UK economy.

"I may return back if I don't like Canada but then I don't want to make a move if people say it's better here than Canada."

You are the best judge of your life, your decision must not depend on what idiots like me say on forums.

If you go there, don't settle well, then there is always option to move back at the most you will loose a year or two moving and settling again in UK.

By the way, why your processing took so long? It normally takes 18-24 months.

Good Luck.

dadageer
Mood:

Post by dadageer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:57 pm

Thanks no seal, quite an informative post.

UK is tiny compared to Canada, everything is small, however, must appreciate the management skills, be it roads, hospitals, garbage collection so on..... Just think with such small space and population double of Canada, are we not doing well. In Canada, you will miss our roundabouts, and definitely get frustrated with cross roads. They have wide roads with no road management in place, such waste of road space. The worst thing is the road signs, so tiny you can hardly read from a moving car. Lots of other things related to public transport as well, like no cushion seats, however transport is cheaper there.

I understand and quite appreciate the fact that UK is a smaller country (w.r.t space) but still manages well. Actually I am not use to living in small houses as before moving to UK, back home, use to live in a villa so may be that is why I could not settle in. In Canada, my sister is living in a very spacious 5 bedroom fully detached house with big backyard. My flat where I am living in at the moment would fit in her family room + drawing room.

You are right about roundabouts as I didn't come across any whilst in Canada but to be honest roundabouts are a pain and I would do well without them so roundabouts will be the last thing I would miss if I move to Canada.

Definitely true, their banking system is at least 10 years behind. They have monthly charge for account, however there are some free like President's Choice with no minimum balance requirement. You will miss the option of withdrawing from any atm in UK, as oppose to Canada where you have restriction to use your bank's atm or get charged. Their bank systems are not well connected as UK. Just try to find the interest rate for a personal loan on any banks website, it will not tell the interest rate, you have to call and ask. Their banking is not as regulated as UK.

Agree, that's a big negative but then they say we managed well during recession while other countries were struggling (including UK) due to our banking system. Also, there are quite a few banks of Canada which are in world's top 10 (http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2 ... -bank.html).

Retail industry, the worst of all is, all their checkout staff in supermarkets have to stand, no seats provided at all, that is all over America, still can't figure out why? Their serving speed is half that of check out staff in UK, understandably, due to being standing long hours.

Agree, I didn't like at all their chain "Walmart" and was missing Tescos and Sainsburys while I was there. Also, the most stupid and annoying bit I noticed was when I finally reached for checkout. I noticed the bill they charged me was a bit higher than what I thought it would be when I was putting things in the cart. Later I was being told by my sis that in Canada everything you see on shelves has a price tag WITHOUT VAT so you pay VAT at the counter. That really made me very angry! Why can't they put a price tag with VAT like here in UK?

By the way, why your processing took so long? It normally takes 18-24 months.

You are talking about the new procedure. Back then there were long queues and long waiting times. I may have got it within 3.5 years but then I got married and had to apply for my wife which as you understand delayed my application a bit further as they asked me to submit my wife papers as well..

Thanks for your suggestions. I am still thinking but will soon make up my mind :wink:
Not all those who wander are lost...