ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for a tax credit

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

haseebkhan79
Newly Registered

Applying for a tax credit

Post by haseebkhan79 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:31 pm

Dear sir/madam

Currently I am on a British national dependent visa on a 5 year route and my extension is due in NOV-17 for another 2.5 years.

what if my wife apply for a tax credit for work or child does it affect my extension.
i am earning 29K annually whereas my wife earning is very low.

Also do I need to pay a health surcharge for my next 2.5 year extension whereas I am paying NI and TAX on my salary.

Looking forward for your advise

With Regards

Casa

Re: Applying for a tax credit

Post by Casa » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:51 pm

haseebkhan79 wrote:Dear sir/madam

Currently I am on a British national dependent visa on a 5 year route and my extension is due in NOV-17 for another 2.5 years.

what if my wife apply for a tax credit for work or child does it affect my extension.

Also do I need to pay a health surcharge for my next 2.5 year extension whereas I am paying NI and TAX on my salary.

Looking forward for your advise

With Regards
No problem if tax credits are applied for in JOINT NAMES.

Yes, you are liable for the NHS Surcharge on your next extension. NI & Tax cover many other services than health provision, including contributions to retirement pension.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:04 pm

haseebkhan79 wrote:
As Casa said, you apply jointly with both salaries counted. You earn too much for Working Tax Credits as the cut off for that is about 18k

For children (Child Tax Credits) the cutoff is about 26k for 1 child; about 31k for 2 children and about 36k for 3 children. From April there is a 2 child limit for new claims or new children added to claims.

If you both work at least 16(?) hours each, you might get some help with childcare costs via Working Tax Credits.

Tax Credits is based on the previous years earnings.

Universal Credit is replacing Tax Credits. If you are in an area where Universal Credit is already in for claimants with children, then you will be put on UC and it has different rules. As you both work, you might be better off on UC, but you don't get to choose if you can claim that instead of TCs as it is by areas at the moment, while it is being rolled out across the country.

Your wife can claim Child Benefit, but that cannot be in your name as it is a public fund.

Have you tried the benefit calculators?
https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators
These only calulate on the benefit rules for this tax year. The benefit reductions for the next tax year and some of the ones for the year after that, will be listed on those sites separately.

haseebkhan79
Newly Registered

Post by haseebkhan79 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:30 pm

Dear Petal and Casa

Thanks a lot for your replies and fruitful advise :D

With Regards