Benefits husband and leave to remain

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, sbrennan

Benefits husband and leave to remain

Postby corasson » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:35 pm

Hi Guru

I just want to understand my circumstances. I have limited leave to remain with recourse to public funds. I am claiming tax credits child benefit and housing benefit
I got married and my hubby has just move in with me. I called the tax credits that I would like to put a new claim as a couple so thet are sending me a new form.
When reading here it was said that my hubby income shouldn't be taken into consideration when processing my housing benefit. I have told them that my husband was not intitle to benefits. They asked for his ni date of birth total earnings and asked to bring two of his most recent payslips.
They didn't ask copy of his brp my hubby is now worried that they will put him on those claims and that will affect his leaves.
What should I do???
Thank you
19/01/2015 settlement visa application my daughter
19/02/15 appeal sent to UK
16/04/15 review stage
30/07/15 ECM deadline date
18/05/16 oral hearing
16/06/16 Appeal allowed
21/07/16 More docs requested
26/07 More documents requested
Junior Member
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:45 am

Re: Benefits husband and leave to remain

Postby CR001 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:22 am

You can only claim HB as a single person rate.

Your husband's income WILL be taken into account as HB entitlement is calculated on TOTAL household income.
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.
Posts: 21213
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm
Location: London

Re: Benefits husband and leave to remain

Postby Petaltop » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:24 pm

And your husband's name must go on your Tax Credit claim as you cannot claim to be single when you are in a couple, as that is benefit fraud.

You will get less housing benefit as his income is counted in your claim. As CR001 said, you can't take extra housing benefit for him as he cannot take public funds. e.g. You can't take the couple rate of HB.
Senior Member
Posts: 660
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:42 pm

Return to Claiming Benefits


  • Related topics
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: angeloick and 13 guests