ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child tax credit and child benefit after ILR

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

SAM143
Mood:
Pakistan

Child tax credit and child benefit after ILR

Post by SAM143 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:04 pm

Hi dear all!
please could u help me regarding these matters:
recently i was granted ILR,i have 3 dependents on me they have still previous status Tier1 dependents wife will switch FLR(m) UK born kids could apply for registration as BC in next few months.
However,please could u help me what kind of benefits i can get after having ILR
without affecting their application of visa and my application for naturalization.
if anyone put a light of explanation on this matters it will be highly appreciated.
many thanks in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child tax credit and child benefit after ILR

Post by CR001 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:36 pm

Child benefit in your name only.

Child tax credits in JOINT names with your spouse.

See link below to calculate what you MIGHT be entitled too. Select YOU are British to go through the process/steps.

https://benefits-calculator.turn2us.org.uk

What you might be entitled to depends on your household income.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

SAM143
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by SAM143 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:39 pm

Hi dear Casa001!
thanks for ur prompt reply,please could u guide me regarding their application of visa and my citizenship
thanks

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:39 am

You might find that you are in an area where Tax Credits have been replaced by Universal Credit. They have rolled this out into some areas now for new couple claimants. You can check here.
https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/eligibility

Child benefit is not one of the benefits that is being replaced by Universal Credit.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:53 am

SAIF_143 wrote:Hi dear Casa001!
thanks for ur prompt reply,please could u guide me regarding their application of visa and my citizenship
thanks
Please post these questions in the appropriate sub forums as they are not relevant in the benefits forum.

Benefits of claimed correctly as I have stated will not affect their applications.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

SAM143
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by SAM143 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:47 pm

Hi dear seniors!
as earlier i asked about child tax credit and child benefit eligibility and know child tax credit should be claimed jointly and child benefit should be only my name.I have few question to ask you if you please advise me much appreciated.
1-can i apply working tax credit where me and my wife are working without effecting her FLR(M) application and it should be claimed jointly or only my name.
2-can i apply child benefit now or only after getting registration through MN1 as i been to a legal adviser who said child benefit only applied after getting BC of kids which was surprised me since i am confused.
please could someone advise me what is best thing for me if i apply child benefit,child tax credit and working tax credit.
many thanks in advance

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:00 pm

1. Yes, Joint names.

2. If you have ILR you can claim. YOU claim, NOT the children.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

SAM143
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by SAM143 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:53 pm

hi dear CR001 thanks for your prompt reply,i really appreciate for that.
please kindly could you give me advise with more details because i have to take decision about claiming these benefits and cant put my dependents immigration status at risk.
please could you give me some explanations
many thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:04 pm

CR001 wrote:1. Yes, Joint names.

Claiming benefits as stated above WILL NOT affect your wife's status or visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

funkylen007

Post by funkylen007 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:36 pm

CR001 wrote:

Thanks for the query and clarification, I am on same boat. The reason for the repeated question is the Child benefit form is now asking for partners details as well. So, if we give our partners details will it affect the Tier1 Dependent extension / ILR for my partner. Me a Brit & partner in Tier1 Dep.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:13 am

funkylen007 wrote:
CR001 wrote:

Thanks for the query and clarification, I am on same boat. The reason for the repeated question is the Child benefit form is now asking for partners details as well. So, if we give our partners details will it affect the Tier1 Dependent extension / ILR for my partner. Me a Brit & partner in Tier1 Dep.
The form has always asked for this information. You must be honest in the form. If it is claimed in YOUR name, then no effect on partners visa extension. If you claim child tax credits, this MUST be claimed in JOINT names with your spouse.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:55 am

funkylen007 wrote: The reason for the repeated question is the Child benefit form is now asking for partners details as well.
Child Benefit is now an income based welfare payment. It wasn't before and then there was no income limit.

This is why they need to know the details of a partner. Just because you can have public funds does not mean that you will get income based benefits as they are based on the income of both partners in the household. Or, in the case of CB, a family may get them but will have to pay a tax charge. In these cases, if no SA is completed on time by the higher earning partner, then there is a penalty charge too from HMRC.

"You may have to pay a tax charge if your or your partner’s individual income is over £50,000."
https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit/overview

Petaltop

Post by Petaltop » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:14 am

CR001 wrote:If you claim child tax credits, this MUST be claimed in JOINT names with your spouse.
As said, Tax Credits must be claimed in both names but you cannot take extra benefits (the second adult element of Working Tax Credits) for a partner that has no recourse to public funds.

If you claim Tax Credits as a single person and you have a partner, then you are committing benefit fraud.

Be aware that Tax Credits is one of the income based welfare payments being replaced by the one welfare payment Universal Credit. UC will have different rules and both parents will have to do more to support their children (earn a set amount each per week) or face Universal Credit conditions as job seekers already have to do now. No more of parents working just 24 hours per week between them, or claiming they are running a business that doesn't pay much.

Azbill666

Post by Azbill666 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:08 pm

Hi
My wife is my dependent, i am on ILR.
I gave her account details for Child benefits and child tax credits and she did receive first payment.
I am main applicant for CB, WTC & CTC. Is that ok or i better change account details to my own account. After a year we need to apply for her visa extension as spouse ILR 2.5 years.

Azbill666

Post by Azbill666 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:19 pm

Hi
Any response please. We will be fine at the time of extension or it could be a problem.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:55 pm

Azbill666 wrote:Hi
My wife is my dependent, i am on ILR.
I gave her account details for Child benefits and child tax credits and she did receive first payment.
I am main applicant for CB, WTC & CTC. Is that ok or i better change account details to my own account. After a year we need to apply for her visa extension as spouse ILR 2.5 years.
It is fine to give her account as long as you have claimed correctly, i.e. Child benefit in YOUR name only and child tax credits in JOINT names with spouse.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Azbill666

Post by Azbill666 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:09 pm

Thank you for response.
I have just checked the submitted Child benifit form.
My details are on About you section.
Than its about your partner.
Mrs details.
I said NO to question 31. Your partner entitled to child benifits

Azbill666

Post by Azbill666 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:11 pm

It doesn't ask for Partner immigration status sepetatly.
Should be okay.....

SAM143
Mood:
Pakistan

after ILR

Post by SAM143 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:27 pm

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: after ILR

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:34 pm

SAM143 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:27 pm
What 'matters'??? You posted this topic more than a year ago. Shall we guess what you are asking about now??
Char (CR001 not Casa)

SAM143
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by SAM143 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:47 pm

Do apologise mistakenly posted