Housing benefit while spouse visa application is pending

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, ca.funke, Amber, sushdmehta, John, ChetanOjha, batleykhan, push, JAJ, Casa, archigabe, sbrennan

Housing benefit while spouse visa application is pending

Postby dipmm2000d » Thu May 16, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi
I have been granted ilr recently based on long residency and have two child born here. I also applied for my wife spouse visa in October 2012 which is still pending. As I have just started self employment but getting difficult to manage everything. I have provided third party support along with my wife's part time income with her application. Now can I go for housing benefit in said circumstances. If I go will it affect my wife application? Your answer will be much appreciated. Thanks.
dipmm2000d
Junior Member
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: Housing benefit while spouse visa application is pending

Postby Amber » Thu May 16, 2013 5:41 pm

dipmm2000d wrote:Hi
I have been granted ilr recently based on long residency and have two child born here. I also applied for my wife spouse visa in October 2012 which is still pending. As I have just started self employment but getting difficult to manage everything. I have provided third party support along with my wife's part time income with her application. Now can I go for housing benefit in said circumstances. If I go will it affect my wife application? Your answer will be much appreciated. Thanks.


Is your wife in in the UK and did you apply under the old rules?
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.
Amber
Moderator
 
Posts: 15693
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:20 am
Location: England, UK

Benefit

Postby dipmm2000d » Thu May 16, 2013 5:53 pm

Yes she comes under old rule and applied in country application.
dipmm2000d
Junior Member
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: Benefit

Postby Amber » Thu May 16, 2013 6:14 pm

dipmm2000d wrote:Yes she comes under old rule and applied in country application.


You can claim child benefit and jointly claim tax credits. For housing benefit and council tax reduction/benefit you need to make a joint claim but ensure that only a single person applicable amount is used for the adult component in the calculation as your partner is subject to immigration control.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.
Amber
Moderator
 
Posts: 15693
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:20 am
Location: England, UK

Re: Benefit

Postby dipmm2000d » Fri May 17, 2013 11:53 am

D4109125 wrote:
dipmm2000d wrote:Yes she comes under old rule and applied in country application.


You can claim child benefit and jointly claim tax credits. For housing benefit and council tax reduction/benefit you need to make a joint claim but ensure that only a single person applicable amount is used for the adult component in the calculation as your partner is subject to immigration control.


Thanks for your reply. Went to the council and gave my name as the main applicant and gave all the details of partner including her income. I told about her status and council officer said including her name is not a problem for home office as housing legislation does not allow her to exclude. It seems he does not know much about Immi rules and he didn't explain how calculation was work out. A bit worried.
dipmm2000d
Junior Member
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: Benefit

Postby Amber » Fri May 17, 2013 12:01 pm

dipmm2000d wrote:
D4109125 wrote:
dipmm2000d wrote:Yes she comes under old rule and applied in country application.


You can claim child benefit and jointly claim tax credits. For housing benefit and council tax reduction/benefit you need to make a joint claim but ensure that only a single person applicable amount is used for the adult component in the calculation as your partner is subject to immigration control.


Thanks for your reply. Went to the council and gave my name as the main applicant and gave all the details of partner including her income. I told about her status and council officer said including her name is not a problem for home office as housing legislation does not allow her to exclude. It seems he does not know much about Immi rules and he didn't explain how calculation was work out. A bit worried.


Unfortunately that is not unusual! Make sure when they send you the calculation that only a single amount is paid for the adult component, there will also be a family element.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.
Amber
Moderator
 
Posts: 15693
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:20 am
Location: England, UK

Benefit

Postby dipmm2000d » Fri May 17, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks I will find out . Regarding the family amount is it not the same applies to a person with children as I have born here.
dipmm2000d
Junior Member
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 8:46 pm

Re: Benefit

Postby Amber » Fri May 17, 2013 2:02 pm

dipmm2000d wrote:Thanks I will find out . Regarding the family amount is it not the same applies to a person with children as I have born here.


Indeed, should be a single adult amount + an amount for your children + family premium. If you're not awarded anything consider a discretionary housing payment.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.
Amber
Moderator
 
Posts: 15693
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:20 am
Location: England, UK

Postby gaboon_viper » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:52 pm

hi, i apllied for house benefit 24 april.. still didnt get any reply.please anyone know how long normally takes, for house benefit. thanks
Always here to help to best of my understanding
gaboon_viper
Member
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:17 pm

Postby Amber » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:00 pm

gaboon_viper wrote:hi, i apllied for house benefit 24 april.. still didnt get any reply.please anyone know how long normally takes, for house benefit. thanks


Contact your local authority and ask for an update,
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.
Amber
Moderator
 
Posts: 15693
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:20 am
Location: England, UK

Postby gaboon_viper » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:27 pm

D4109125 wrote:
gaboon_viper wrote:hi, i apllied for house benefit 24 april.. still didnt get any reply.please anyone know how long normally takes, for house benefit. thanks


Contact your local authority and ask for an update,


thanks for response. i will go and ask for any update. thanks
Always here to help to best of my understanding
gaboon_viper
Member
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:17 pm

English course requirement for FLR

Postby greatpeople » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:02 pm

dipmm2000d wrote:Yes she comes under old rule and applied in country application.

My wife did MBA from Punjab University which is a recognised university of Pakistan and now I want to apply her FLR visa. Should she still need to do IELTS or ESOL. Her all subjects of bechalor of commerce and MBA were totally in English.
I talked to NARIC to send her bachelor and master degree , hope so the degrees are equivalent to UK bachelor degree. If degree is equal to bachelor then should still she need to do IELTS or ESOL?
plz reply this question
greatpeople
Newbie
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:07 am

new rule and old rule

Postby greatpeople » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:04 pm

greatpeople wrote:
dipmm2000d wrote:Yes she comes under old rule and applied in country application.

My wife did MBA from Punjab University which is a recognised university of Pakistan and now I want to apply her FLR visa. Should she still need to do IELTS or ESOL. Her all subjects of bechalor of commerce and MBA were totally in English.
I talked to NARIC to send her bachelor and master degree , hope so the degrees are equivalent to UK bachelor degree. If degree is equal to bachelor then should still she need to do IELTS or ESOL?
plz reply this question



hello

last month i got my ilr after ten years long residence. my wife came to uk in june 2009 on student dependent visa. now she has psw visa valid till january 2014.
kindly tell me should i keep funds of £18,600 in my account to apply for FLR visa? and afterwards directly apply her ILR or wait for 5 years?
which application i applied , i marriage on march2007,
greatpeople
Newbie
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:07 am

Re: new rule and old rule

Postby Amber » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:33 pm

greatpeople wrote:
greatpeople wrote:
dipmm2000d wrote:Yes she comes under old rule and applied in country application.

My wife did MBA from Punjab University which is a recognised university of Pakistan and now I want to apply her FLR visa. Should she still need to do IELTS or ESOL. Her all subjects of bechalor of commerce and MBA were totally in English.
I talked to NARIC to send her bachelor and master degree , hope so the degrees are equivalent to UK bachelor degree. If degree is equal to bachelor then should still she need to do IELTS or ESOL?
plz reply this question



hello

last month i got my ilr after ten years long residence. my wife came to uk in june 2009 on student dependent visa. now she has psw visa valid till january 2014.
kindly tell me should i keep funds of £18,600 in my account to apply for FLR visa? and afterwards directly apply her ILR or wait for 5 years?
which application i applied , i marriage on march2007,


I'm waiting for a response from the HO regarding this topic so as soon as I know I'll post in the correct forum.
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.
Amber
Moderator
 
Posts: 15693
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:20 am
Location: England, UK

Re: new rule and old rule

Postby greatpeople » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:22 pm

D4109125 wrote:
greatpeople wrote:
greatpeople wrote:
dipmm2000d wrote:Yes she comes under old rule and applied in country application.

My wife did MBA from Punjab University which is a recognised university of Pakistan and now I want to apply her FLR visa. Should she still need to do IELTS or ESOL. Her all subjects of bechalor of commerce and MBA were totally in English.
I talked to NARIC to send her bachelor and master degree , hope so the degrees are equivalent to UK bachelor degree. If degree is equal to bachelor then should still she need to do IELTS or ESOL?
plz reply this question



hello

last month i got my ilr after ten years long residence. my wife came to uk in june 2009 on student dependent visa. now she has psw visa valid till january 2014.
kindly tell me should i keep funds of £18,600 in my account to apply for FLR visa? and afterwards directly apply her ILR or wait for 5 years?
which application i applied , i marriage on march2007,


I'm waiting for a response from the HO regarding this topic so as soon as I know I'll post in the correct forum.

Ok thanks i m waiting your reply. Confusion its old rule and new rule.
Thanks
greatpeople
Newbie
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:07 am

Re: new rule and old rule

Postby Amber » Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:12 pm

greatpeople wrote:
D4109125 wrote:
greatpeople wrote:
greatpeople wrote:
dipmm2000d wrote:Yes she comes under old rule and applied in country application.

My wife did MBA from Punjab University which is a recognised university of Pakistan and now I want to apply her FLR visa. Should she still need to do IELTS or ESOL. Her all subjects of bechalor of commerce and MBA were totally in English.
I talked to NARIC to send her bachelor and master degree , hope so the degrees are equivalent to UK bachelor degree. If degree is equal to bachelor then should still she need to do IELTS or ESOL?
plz reply this question



hello

last month i got my ilr after ten years long residence. my wife came to uk in june 2009 on student dependent visa. now she has psw visa valid till january 2014.
kindly tell me should i keep funds of £18,600 in my account to apply for FLR visa? and afterwards directly apply her ILR or wait for 5 years?
which application i applied , i marriage on march2007,


I'm waiting for a response from the HO regarding this topic so as soon as I know I'll post in the correct forum.

Ok thanks i m waiting your reply. Confusion its old rule and new rule.
Thanks


Regarding flr(m) for a pbs dep where the spouse has settled via long residence and was not on a PBS route to settlement see http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=138379
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.
Amber
Moderator
 
Posts: 15693
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:20 am
Location: England, UK


Return to Claiming Benefits

 


  • Related topics
    Views
    Replies
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests