ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moderator criteria

Post comments about workpermit.com website, don't post information related to immigration questions, work permit advice, etc.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jan39

Moderator criteria

Post by jan39 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:44 am

Can we know the criteria for being as moderator etc?
Moderators usually failed to answer most of the questions. Mostly we get answer from other common people's similar experiences and knowledge on the forum instead of moderators.

Casa

Re: Moderator criteria

Post by Casa » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:16 pm

Moderators monitor the smooth running of the forum (unpaid), including removing the high number of spam posts which arrive daily, re-directing the posts to the correct sub-forums and removing posts which may offend other members.

Moderators aren't walking encyclopedias of every aspect of UK immigration law and don't necessarily have more knowledge than other members. Neither are they online 24 hours a day. :|
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:54 pm

You are of course assuming an awful lot. Most of us have been through the immigration process. If we don't answer a post, it is likely we are not sure of the answer.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:58 pm

Also bear in mind that with the best will in the world, half a dozen or so Moderators couldn't possible respond to all of the hundreds of posts that land on the forum daily. We do all have a life outside of Immigration Boards. :roll:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:32 pm

jan39 wrote:Can we know the criteria for being as moderator etc?
Moderators usually failed to answer most of the questions. Mostly we get answer from other common people's similar experiences and knowledge on the forum instead of moderators.
This question seems to miss the point of what an internet discussion forum actually is and how it works.

However, in my role as moderator, a cursory inspection reveals no glaring violations of Board T&Cs;
furthermore the OP is not currently under form of censure and does not appear to be using a duplicate id
- so, regardless of content, the post may stand.

And, as a member, I have nothing further that I choose to add to the discussion at this time.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Aug 18, 2016 5:41 pm

jan39 wrote:Moderators usually failed to answer most of the questions. Mostly we get answer from other common people's similar experiences and knowledge on the forum instead of moderators.
That may be because you misunderstand their primary role. A moderator's role is to moderate the discussion, to guide it or give it a steer if need be, and to ensure that the T & C's are being adhered to, that posts are in the correct forum and thread, etc. It is partially administrative (posts in the correct threads, splitting threads, etc) and partially judicial (advising people if their language is inappropriate).

Most of them are not experts in immigration law and the advice that they provide is typically out of their own experience going through the immigration process themselves. Given the various pathways that the immigration system has, it is possible that no moderator has experience of that specific pathway.

But that is not how a forum is meant to function anyway. The purpose of any forum is that members with experience advise others going through the process. And it is perfectly possible that a moderator may not have that experience while other members do. And it is better for the member with experience to advise you on a topic than for a moderator with no experience of that topic.

Just to reiterate, most moderators are not lawyers (and neither am I) and their role is not to provide advice, but to ensure that members discuss their issues calmly and courteously and in accordance with the Ts & Cs. Any advice that is provided by them is, in a sense, in their role as members.

Casa's first post above summarises pretty precisely the workload of a moderator. Remember that they are unpaid and occasionally get subject to a lot of unwarranted abuse. One experienced and well-regarded moderator recently quit due to abuse in the wake of the Brexit referendum.

So, for starters, the criteria appears to be;
a) Have spare time to go through and understand what people are putting on the forums and gauge whether it is in the right place.
b) Keep an eye out for the appropriateness of language being used on the forums.
c) Have a thick skin

I am sure the moderators are always looking for volunteers for that role. Feel free to apply. :)
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

jan39

Post by jan39 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:08 pm

secret.simon wrote:
jan39 wrote:Moderators usually failed to answer most of the questions. Mostly we get answer from other common people's similar experiences and knowledge on the forum instead of moderators.
That may be because you misunderstand their primary role. A moderator's role is to moderate the discussion, to guide it or give it a steer if need be, and to ensure that the T & C's are being adhered to, that posts are in the correct forum and thread, etc. It is partially administrative (posts in the correct threads, splitting threads, etc) and partially judicial (advising people if their language is inappropriate).

Most of them are not experts in immigration law and the advice that they provide is typically out of their own experience going through the immigration process themselves. Given the various pathways that the immigration system has, it is possible that no moderator has experience of that specific pathway.

But that is not how a forum is meant to function anyway. The purpose of any forum is that members with experience advise others going through the process. And it is perfectly possible that a moderator may not have that experience while other members do. And it is better for the member with experience to advise you on a topic than for a moderator with no experience of that topic.

Just to reiterate, most moderators are not lawyers (and neither am I) and their role is not to provide advice, but to ensure that members discuss their issues calmly and courteously and in accordance with the Ts & Cs. Any advice that is provided by them is, in a sense, in their role as members.

Casa's first post above summarises pretty precisely the workload of a moderator. Remember that they are unpaid and occasionally get subject to a lot of unwarranted abuse. One experienced and well-regarded moderator recently quit due to abuse in the wake of the Brexit referendum.

So, for starters, the criteria appears to be;
a) Have spare time to go through and understand what people are putting on the forums and gauge whether it is in the right place.
b) Keep an eye out for the appropriateness of language being used on the forums.
c) Have a thick skin

I am sure the moderators are always looking for volunteers for that role. Feel free to apply. :)
Sorry to all moderators if they felt any disrespect in anyway from my post.
Yes I misunderstood, I thought they are experts and have to give right information to common members. It means in respect of immigration knowledge and information they are just as normal members. This misunderstanding is not only to me, I know a few people they think same way that moderators are special members with special powers so they expect them as experts. Sorry again dear moderators.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:35 pm

jan39 wrote:Sorry to all moderators if they felt any disrespect in anyway from my post.
Yes I misunderstood, I thought they are experts and have to give right information to common members. It means in respect of immigration knowledge and information they are just as normal members. This misunderstanding is not only to me, I know a few people they think same way that moderators are special members with special powers so they expect them as experts. Sorry again dear moderators.
We have 100,000 odd members. The Brains Trust and hive mind of the forum is the membership itself.
Moderators are not here as pro bono lawyers for the masses. Get a grip!
Neither are moderators here to validate or endorse members' contributions as if it was some sort of high school debating society.

Moderators have other roles, talents, skillsets and particular powers I am not at liberty to disclose.

The fact that 'normal' members remain blissfully unaware of the dangers and challenges encircling them, on a daily basis, and yet are still able to post in relative safety, without fear or hindrance, is testament to the collective efforts of the moderators.

jan39

Post by jan39 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:42 pm

But I have a small complaint that moderators should be polite and respond in a professional way. Their comments or style sometimes feel like personal. The comments like 'No need to be selfish', 'refrain from digging up old posts' 'Do Not Jump in between' 'we are not walking encyclopedias' etc. These sentences reflect a reaction with little anger and personal. We respect moderators as correctors.
They can say the same thing in a polite manner, even police won't use that style.
I was referred by a moderator in one post to an older similar post and when I asked a question from the member of that post (because my question was unanswered in the new post)I was warned by moderator not to DIG old posts, and then the post was locked. Can we not ask some one for the sake of information? That's the reason for this forum. The moderator could have told me same thing in another way like 'responding to older post is not allowed' or 'please do not make queries in older posts'.
Thank you

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:00 pm

jan39 wrote:But I have a small complaint that moderators should be polite and respond in a professional way. Their comments or style sometimes feel like personal. The comments like 'No need to be selfish', 'refrain from digging up old posts' 'Do Not Jump in between' 'we are not walking encyclopedias' etc. These sentences reflect a reaction with little anger and personal. We respect moderators as correctors.
They can say the same thing in a polite manner, even police won't use that style.
I was referred by a moderator in one post to an older similar post and when I asked a question from the member of that post (because my question was unanswered in the new post)I was warned by moderator not to DIG old posts, and then the post was locked. Can we not ask some one for the sake of information? That's the reason for this forum. The moderator could have told me same thing in another way like 'responding to older post is not allowed' or 'please do not make queries in older posts'.
Thank you
Different cultures, language (non-mother tongue), some members' sense of entitlement, some members' blatant disregard of Board T&Cs, spammers, scammers, snakeoil salesmen/women, misuse of forum, thread-hijackers, barrack-room lawyers, lobbyists, multiple posters, users masquerading under multiple ids, all sorts of self-promoting 'advisors' masquerading as members, hard-pressed and time-poor moderators
- it certainly is a heady, dynamic and challenging cocktail not to say a rich tapestry of all human life.

But out of all that rough and tumble, (the laughter, the tears), pops a sometimes surprising and often heart-warming number of life-changing solutions for people in our community.

jan39

Post by jan39 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:25 pm

noajthan wrote:
jan39 wrote:But I have a small complaint that moderators should be polite and respond in a professional way. Their comments or style sometimes feel like personal. The comments like 'No need to be selfish', 'refrain from digging up old posts' 'Do Not Jump in between' 'we are not walking encyclopedias' etc. These sentences reflect a reaction with little anger and personal. We respect moderators as correctors.
Thank you
Different cultures, language (non-mother tongue), some members' sense of entitlement, some members' blatant disregard of Board T&Cs, spammers, scammers, snakeoil salesmen/women, misuse of forum, thread-hijackers, barrack-room lawyers, lobbyists, multiple posters, users masquerading under multiple ids, all sorts of self-promoting 'advisors' masquerading as members, hard-pressed and time-poor moderators
- it certainly is a heady, dynamic and challenging cocktail not to say a rich tapestry of all human life.

But out of all that rough and tumble, (the laughter, the tears), pops a sometimes surprising and often heart-warming number of life-changing solutions for people in our community.
Great explanation.
I am sure you are a good poet as well apart from moderator. :D
I agree this forum is helpful and sometimes gives you solution.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:24 am

jan39 wrote:I was referred by a moderator in one post to an older similar post
Apologies for any confusion.

Referring to a similar post just saves me from repeating information that have already been discussed. However, if you have further questions, then you should normally continue to ask them in your original topic.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.