ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tax discussion forum?

Post comments about workpermit.com website, don't post information related to immigration questions, work permit advice, etc.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ouflak1

Tax discussion forum?

Post by ouflak1 » Tue May 17, 2016 12:07 pm

I know that there was a recent set of guidelines about tax related posts, but I think it must be clear by now that these questions are simply too frequent and relevant to ignore. Should we consider a Tax forum for all of the related tax questions. This would clear up the ILR forum substantially and give a nice central location for those with similar issues to congregate and share knowledge.

noajthan

Re: Tax discussion forum?

Post by noajthan » Tue May 17, 2016 1:38 pm

ouflak1 wrote:I know that there was a recent set of guidelines about tax related posts, but I think it must be clear by now that these questions are simply too frequent and relevant to ignore. Should we consider a Tax forum for all of the related tax questions. This would clear up the ILR forum substantially and give a nice central location for those with similar issues to congregate and share knowledge.
In my opinion, the value-add and area of expertise offered to the community by ImmigrationBoards is well-established and is firmly positioned in the immigration/migration area.

ImmigrationBoards does not need to stray into other's territory, such as tax.
There are several established tax forums already out there in WWW.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 17, 2016 9:27 pm

I agree with outflak1 that the volume of tax questions in the ILR forum is crowding out all other ILR related questions. I have started avoiding the ILR forum entirely now as it is all about taxes now.

An option to consider would be the creation of another forum within the United Kingdom Non-tier area, specifically for ILR tax queries only, thus leaving the original ILR forum free for actual ILR related queries. So, something on the lines of

Indefinite Leave to Remain - Tax related queries

Indefinite Leave to Remain - all other queries

That would allow members to contribute their knowledge of the impact of taxes on ILR applications to these forums and help each other out, without crowding out other ILR related queries.

This is not unlike the "Claiming Benefits" forum, which is not directly related to immigration, but gives space for a relevant tangential topic to be discussed on these forums.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:44 am

noajthan wrote:ImmigrationBoards does not need to stray into other's territory, such as tax.
There are several established tax forums already out there in WWW.
I understand your point of view exactly. When there was the announcement that tax questions would be deleted, I was totally championing the idea. But what looked good on paper has turned out to be very different in reality. The fact is, tax topics have strayed into immigration territory and quite severely so in many many cases. These issues can cause visa/leave/citizenship application denials and retroactive cancellations of status. I think it is something we are going to have address in a more practical manner. There may well be a few immigration experts on some of those tax boards, but I doubt there will be the number and quality of such that are on this board.
secret.simon wrote:...the volume of tax questions in the ILR forum is crowding out all other ILR related questions.
Yeah that forum is the worst no doubt. But there are tax questions that pop up in all of the Tier 1/2 forums and the citizenship forum as well. And we know now that the Home Office checks with HMRC on all applications except perhaps visitor visa applications.

I just want to elaborate: I would not consider esoteric tax issues as on topic. I'd consider tax issues that might (or definitely do) relate to immigration inquiries to be on topic. And to be fair, most of the tax questions on this board do relate in some fashion wherever they are asked, which seems reasonable considering that this is afterall an immigration board.

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:31 pm

Has there been any movement on or consideration of this by the powes-that-be?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:33 pm

Silence itself can be a decision.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.