ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can my father be dependent of my EEA spouse?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Obie
Ireland

Re: Can my father be dependent of my EEA spouse?

Post by Obie » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:08 pm

vinny wrote:Indeed, as an example, they have refused an applicant because the applicant knows the law. Then, the Regulations are rewritten to suit their interpretation.
[b]“marriage of convenience[/b] wrote:
“marriage of convenience” includes a marriage entered into for the purpose of using these Regulations, or any other right conferred by the EU Treaties, as a means to circumvent—
(a)immigration rules applying to non-EEA nationals (such as any applicable requirement under the 1971 Act to have leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom); or
(b)any other criteria that the party to the marriage of convenience would otherwise have to meet in order to enjoy a right to reside under these Regulations or the EU Treaties;
The above changes really troubles me, and it appears that it will be in effect by the time OP goes to court.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

BClassBritish

Post by BClassBritish » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:19 am

Sorry I keep on coming back here as my mind is racing like mad and I dont trust lawyers any more. They charge money to always give me conflicting advice. I will probably have some serious mental illness by the time all this is over.

Last night I came up with the brilliant idea of renouncing my British Citizenship. That way my father will be non-EEA dependent of a non-EEA spouse of a EEA citizen.

Do you guys think this could work or would the HO object and say the citizenship was renounced just to circumvent the rules?

Thanks,

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:25 am

If you originate from a country like India, the effect of the revocation will live you stateless as you would have lost your Indian citizenship when you naturalised.

It will not be lawful for the UK to permit you to do that under international law.

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:02 pm

If the UK's interpretation of India's nationality laws was such that India can reinstate your Indian Citizenship after you renounce your British citizenship, then it would just be too bad if the Indian Government did not reinstate your Indian citizenship. You becoming stateless would not be the fault of the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

BClassBritish

Post by BClassBritish » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:16 pm

Hi

Thanks for your concern but I am from a country that allows dual citizenships. Not saying the name as I am scared bloody HO people might be reading this.

So assuming I do manage to surrender my British citizenship:

Do you guys think this could work or would the HO object and say the citizenship was renounced just to circumvent the rules?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:39 pm

vinny wrote:If the UK's interpretation of India's nationality laws was such that India can reinstate your Indian Citizenship after you renounce your British citizenship, then it would just be too bad if the Indian Government did not reinstate your Indian citizenship. You becoming stateless would not be the fault of the UK.
Thankfully OP is from a country that permits dual citizenship so we need not worry.

Vinny has the court not overturned that view?

In this case OP will be taking a voluntary action as opposed to involuntary one taken against people the government described as undesirables.

I do remember an Upper Tribunal Judge telling me that the Secretary reasonable belief must be statutory based.

But EU law may also be in Play. I remember the case law on this Austrian guy who had acquired German citizenship without disclosing convictions. The court ruled that even though citizenship was within the scope of memberstates, they must take account of the person union citizenship in the decision making .

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:47 pm

BClassBritish wrote:Hi

Thanks for your concern but I am from a country that allows dual citizenships. Not saying the name as I am scared bloody HO people might be reading this.

So assuming I do manage to surrender my British citizenship:

I appreciate you not wanting to disclose your dual nationality.

Did your father declare himself as self sufficient and has sufficient funds when he secured his visitors visa? Or did he show he was dependent on you and your then girlfriend, now wife?

BClassBritish

Post by BClassBritish » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:26 pm

My father applied for a 10 year visitor visa about 4 years ago. I was the main sponsor back then. My then girl friend and now wife wasnt mentioned in the application.

Thanks,

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:53 pm

Before they give your dad that 10 years visa, he would have shown he has sufficient ties to his home country, and there are sufficient basis why he will come back.

I don't believe he would have been given that visa if his sole basis was that he is fully dependent on you, and coming to visit you. He would have said more than that.

You remind me of a dependency case of an Austrian guy, and his parents, he said he had been supporting his parents for years.

I was in the hearing, when bundle of documents were served from British High Commission in Islamabad, showing that his father had disclosed ownership of business in his visa application, ownership of shares, and sufficient funds in his account.

Just fortunate that there was a good judge who did not appreciate a party being ambushed.

So just a word of advise, be consistent.

BClassBritish

EEA PR hindrance to EU freedoms?

Post by BClassBritish » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:07 pm

Hi All,

My wife is an EU national working in the UK for over 10 years. She has always worked with no breaks so applying for a Permanent Residence card should be quick and easy.

However we will soon be applying for a family permit for my non EEA father to be her dependent.

If she applies for PR and gets it, would she still be able to sponsor my father?
Also what if she acquires British citizenship?

Many Thanks,

noajthan

Re: EEA PR hindrance to EU freedoms?

Post by noajthan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:10 pm

1) Yes - with proof of dependency.

2) No.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

BClassBritish

Post by BClassBritish » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:49 pm

Thanks noajthan.

Couple of more questions:

1) My private messages have stopped working once again. I think they only got enabled when I did my first 30 odd posts and after that I sent a few PM's and then they got blocked.

2) What would be the best way for me to show emtional and physical dependency of my father on my spouse. For e.g. my wife helps my father in exercising and basic walking(recommended by doctor). Because of pain he becomes quite stubborn and only listens to her some times otherwise just stays in bed which means his health deteriorates even further. Also she does his weekly medicines etc But I cant really prove all this unless I put videos of all this on youtube.

Many Thanks,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:01 pm

Question - is your father using the NHS and if so, is he paying for ALL his NHS services/visits/medicines?

What is happening when you try to send a PM? I have just tested your permissions and it all seems fine.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:05 pm

CR001 wrote:Question - is your father using the NHS and if so, is he paying for ALL his NHS services/visits/medicines?

What is happening when you try to send a PM? I have just tested your permissions and it all seems fine.

I went through it also and it seems fine aswell.

BClassBritish

Post by BClassBritish » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:49 pm

CR001 wrote:Question - is your father using the NHS and if so, is he paying for ALL his NHS services/visits/medicines?

Obie/CR001,

Thanks my PM's are working now.
He does not use the NHS. All his treatment so far has been done privately and I have paid for it.

BClassBritish

Post by BClassBritish » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:31 pm

Sorry to bother the admins agian but I am not authorized to PM once again. Can some one pls have a look.

BClassBritish

Post by BClassBritish » Wed May 03, 2017 4:42 pm

Hi All,

I am back :)

Quick recap:
I am british and my very ill father has been living with me for the past 2+ years while his discretionary leave application is being considered by the HO and the first tier tribunal(in v near future).

I have a European wife and my father is dependent on her.

If we want to apply for a residence card for my father as a dependent of a European citizen(my wife) then:

1) Would we make an extended family member application or a direct family member application?

2) Do we need to fill in a formor can we just explain the situation on a cover letter and attach relevant proofs with it?

3) Would we have to send my wifes original pp with the application?

Many Thanks,

BClassBritish

Post by BClassBritish » Thu May 04, 2017 10:06 am

Obie, Noajthan, anybody?

Thanks,

forestgump

Post by forestgump » Thu May 04, 2017 10:29 am

Dear moderators, why did you delete my post where I gave an answer to a previous question?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu May 04, 2017 10:30 am

1) Direct family member

2) Since February 1st, you are required to apply for any EEA documentation using the specified form.

3) Does she have a French national ID card that she can use?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:49 pm

forestgump wrote:Dear moderators, why did you delete my post where I gave an answer to a previous question?
It would have been deleted if it was contained personal information, was inappropriate, offensive, derogatory, discriminatory, wholly incorrect or a non relevant to the topic post. In the absence of knowing what you posted, I cannot comment further as I did not remove it.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

BClassBritish

Post by BClassBritish » Thu May 04, 2017 2:16 pm

secret.simon wrote:1) Direct family member

2) Since February 1st, you are required to apply for any EEA documentation using the specified form.

3) Does she have a French national ID card that she can use?
Thanks v much :)

Do you know how long the HO approx takes to decide on these types of applications ?

forestgump

Post by forestgump » Thu May 04, 2017 2:30 pm

CR001 wrote:
forestgump wrote:Dear moderators, why did you delete my post where I gave an answer to a previous question?
It would have been deleted if it was contained personal information, was inappropriate, offensive, derogatory, discriminatory, wholly incorrect or a non relevant to the topic post. In the absence of knowing what you posted, I cannot comment further as I did not remove it.
I gave the same answers as a secret.simon given above.

BClassBritish

Post by BClassBritish » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi All,

Quick recap: My EU wife will be sponsoring my fathers dependent family member application as discussed above.

As my fathers passport is expired can we send in his national id card(non EU) instead as part of this application?

Thank you :)

BClassBritish

Post by BClassBritish » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:56 pm

Anybody please?