ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA family permit - right to work in UK?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jtb0

EEA family permit - right to work in UK?

Post by jtb0 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:04 pm

Do holders of an EEA family permit have the right to work in the UK? I can't find official confirmation of this.

wish_uk
Member of Standing
Pakistan

Re: EEA family permit - right to work in UK?

Post by wish_uk » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:25 pm

yes you have right to work in uk, but need to convince your employer

and can you please tell us how did you get family permit.
evidence you provided ?
your relationship history
marriage date
and date of application after marriage/ residence card

kind regards
married Aug 2014

jtb0

Post by jtb0 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:59 pm

wish_uk wrote:yes you have right to work in uk, but need to convince your employer

evidence you provided ?
marriage date

kind regards
Why would I need to convince an employer? Doesn't the government provide information on a website that confirms right to work on this visa? It should be clear cut.

I haven't got it yet.

jtb0

Post by jtb0 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:03 pm

Can EEA family permit holders claim benefits?

Are they subject to restrictions regarding claiming benefits?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun May 08, 2016 6:14 pm

jtb0 wrote:
wish_uk wrote:yes you have right to work in uk, but need to convince your employer

evidence you provided ?
marriage date

kind regards
Why would I need to convince an employer? Doesn't the government provide information on a website that confirms right to work on this visa? It should be clear cut.

I haven't got it yet.
Well it isn't.

Employers are liable for fines, big ones for employing illegals, so will look for undeniable veracity before employing anyone. Completely understandable.

Nothing is free, you need to do some legwork.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

jtb0

Post by jtb0 » Sun May 08, 2016 6:23 pm

Wanderer wrote:
jtb0 wrote:

evidence you provided ?
marriage date

kind regards

I haven't got it yet.
Well it isn't.

Employers are liable for fines, big ones for employing illegals, so will look for undeniable veracity before employing anyone. Completely understandable.

Nothing is free, you need to do some legwork.
It's not a matter of wanting things for free. It's a matter of wanting things to be clear when it is very easy to make them clear. A simple sentence on the website confirming this would save many a lot of time and effort. But there must be a reason why they obscure it.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon May 09, 2016 12:01 am

As it has been about two months since the initial query, has the Family Permit holder applied for a Residence Card and have they received a CoA?

I am not convinced that Family Permits (as a document) confer any rights, apart from the right to enter the UK. It is an entry visa for non-EEA relatives of EEA citizens, but does not confer any rights of itself.

Any rights flow from their relationship to the EEA citizen. And for documentation of such rights, a Residence Card or CoA would be required.

I believe that EEA citizens and their family members are allowed to claim any benefits they are eligible for, on the same basis as British citizens.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

BritishAccent
Newly Registered

Post by BritishAccent » Tue May 10, 2016 11:11 am

jtb0 wrote:Do holders of an EEA family permit have the right to work in the UK? I can't find official confirmation of this.

I think what you can do is to print out DIRECTIVE 2004/38/EC, where Article 23 gives, in my opinion, a precise answer for your question and show it to your employer. If the Article of EU law will not persuade him or her, I guess nothing will. Hope this could help you.

Regards

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue May 10, 2016 2:47 pm

The prospective employer would have to weigh the option to hire the Non-EEA family member of an EEA citizen enumerated in Article 23, but without any documentation enumerating his right to work, against a potential fine of £20,000.

As mentioned earlier, a Residence Card or CoA is acceptable proof of the person's right to work in the UK. A Family Permit isn't. It is just an entry visa.

As an aside, back to the OP, is there any reason why the person has not or can not apply for a Residence Card? Is the non-EEA family member a direct family member (spouse, children, dependent parents) or an extended family member (unmarried partner/other family members)?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Tue May 10, 2016 3:33 pm

All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.