ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family Permit - Work permit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

byenano
Newly Registered

EEA Family Permit - Work permit

Post by byenano » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:48 pm

Hi,

I am planning to move to the UK together with my wife. I am an EU-15 national she is a non-EEA citizen. My wonder if my wife, once she has been issued the EEA Family Permit, is allowed to work in the UK. If the EEA Family Permit is not enough, what other permit does she have to apply for in the UK in order to legally work in the UK?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:29 am

The EEA Family Permit allows the holder to work from day 1.

However you might find that employers are reluctant to take someone with only 6 months "visa" so better to apply ASAP for a 5 years Residence Card using form EEA2 once in the UK.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:23 pm

Jambo wrote:The EEA Family Permit allows the holder to work from day 1.

However you might find that employers are reluctant to take someone with only 6 months "visa" so better to apply ASAP for a 5 years Residence Card using form EEA2 once in the UK.
Once an EEA2 application is made, a certificate of application should be issued. That can be used to show employers the status until the residence card arrives.

byenano
Newly Registered

Post by byenano » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:55 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
Jambo wrote:The EEA Family Permit allows the holder to work from day 1.

Once an EEA2 application is made, a certificate of application should be issued. That can be used to show employers the status until the residence card arrives.
thanks for the info. Do u know if it takes a lot of time for the EEA 2 permit to be issued? While we apply for the EEA2 is she allowed to work on the EEA1?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:07 pm

An EEA2 application will take around 3 months in normal circumstances (they have up to six months in law). An EEA1 is for the EU national, which will be issued much more quickly (it has little practical benefit to an EU national).

After the EEA2 application is made, a certificate of application will be issued. While it must be issued immediately, in practice takes a coupe of weeks. This can be shown to employers as entitlement to work.

byenano
Newly Registered

Post by byenano » Mon May 21, 2012 6:44 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:An EEA2 application will take around 3 months in normal circumstances (they have up to six months in law). An EEA1 is for the EU national, which will be issued much more quickly (it has little practical benefit to an EU national).

After the EEA2 application is made, a certificate of application will be issued. While it must be issued immediately, in practice takes a coupe of weeks. This can be shown to employers as entitlement to work.
I would also like to know if my wife has to remain in the UK after the EEA 2 is issued. As far as I understand, once she enters the UK with the EEA 1, she is not allowed to leave the country otherwise she should obtain another EEA 1 again.

Is it the same with the EEA 2 ? Must she remain in the UK? I mean we would like to visit other countries in Europe so it would be for short periods of time.

How long is the EEA2 valid for?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon May 21, 2012 6:48 pm

Both the EEA Family Permit and the Residence Card are multi entry documents. You can travel and enter the UK without any problem.

The Residence Card obtained following an application using form EEA2 is valid for 5 years.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon May 21, 2012 7:54 pm

EU citizen in the UK in general requires a valid passport or identity card to enter. That's it for them. They may voluntarily apply for a residence certificate, but they do not have to. (This would be done on an EEA1).

In general, a non-EU citizen family member who is also a visa national requires both a passport and an entry visa (EEA family permit, application made on VAF5). Once in the UK and if the EU national family member is exercising treaty rights, they can apply for a residence card (done on an EEA2). Whist this is not mandatory, in practice it is of great benefit to the non-EU national family member in order for them to prove right of residence.

byenano
Newly Registered

Post by byenano » Mon May 21, 2012 8:02 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:EU citizen in the UK in general requires a valid passport or identity card to enter. That's it for them. They may voluntarily apply for a residence certificate, but they do not have to. (This would be done on an EEA1).

In general, a non-EU citizen family member who is also a visa national requires both a passport and an entry visa (EEA family permit, application made on VAF5). Once in the UK and if the EU national family member is exercising treaty rights, they can apply for a residence card (done on an EEA2). Whist this is not mandatory, in practice it is of great benefit to the non-EU national family member in order for them to prove right of residence.
Thanks for the information, well, my plan is to move to the UK in order to work and study there. My wife, (visa national) will move with me, so I understand we have to apply for the EEA1 and then enter the UK. Afterwards, once I find a job or a study place, we apply for the EEA2.

Could you please tell me if I am right?

I also want to know if, while living in the UK on the EEA2, my wife has the right to leave the UK to visit other european countries as tourist.

Eventually, my wife would also start working or studying in the UK.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon May 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Ok, to enter the UK, your wife will need an EEA family permit. That can be applied for where ever you are living. You, the EU national, don't need anything other than passport to enter the UK.

If you are going to be a student, you need to have enrolled in a place of study and are required to have Comprehensive Sickness Insurance (CSI). Your passport, proof that you are enrolled in a place of study plus your CSI will enable you, the EU national, to apply for a Residence Certificate (use form EEA1).

Your wife would submit her passport along with EEA2 form. That will evidence her entitlement to work.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon May 21, 2012 8:12 pm

There's loads of information here.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucitizens/