ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA regulation,Surinder Singh case,health insurance problems

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

migi
Newly Registered

EEA regulation,Surinder Singh case,health insurance problems

Post by migi » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:40 pm

Dear all,
hoping somebody can help me and my husband, we are planning to move to UK next year. My husband is British and im Albanian. It's 5 years now we're together and almost 2 years since we got married. We've been living in Italy for a very long time (me 13 years and my husband 9 years). I found out, thanks to this forum, that we can move to England as EEA nationals under EEA regulations and the Surinder Singh ruling and we should qualify for that as my husband has legal residency and works in Italy and we are married and legally live here.
I have a few questions though related to the health insurance covering me. In order to move to England i should prove i have health insurance which i guess i should pay for privately. If I find a job, once we move to England, will this provide for my health insurance or i have to pay a private one forever since i didn't apply for settlement visa? I would be very grateful if anyone would provide us with information related to this issue.
p.s congrats on the forum! You are really doing a great job! I have been looking at the UKBA website for a week now (my husband parents have been asking for information in England too) and i could find the Surinder Ruling information (which would spare us a lot of hassle, stress and money as well) just here. Thank you! migi

aa123

Post by aa123 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:07 am

Not all companies in the uk provide health insurance.

Im not familar with the surinda singh rules does it say you need health insurance?

Dont most people just use the NHS regardless of who they are and where they came from?

But is your husband joining you in the UK for you to come through the EEA route?
Last edited by aa123 on Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

migi
Newly Registered

Post by migi » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:49 pm

Thank you so much for the reply! I actually checked better the eea family permit and the insurance is needed just in case you are claiming to be financially self sufficient, which i don't think is gonna be our case since we don't intend to move to England unless my husband has found a job and me too, as soon as I'm gonna be allowed to. Also according to the NSH website you are entitled to get treatment free of charge when you take up permanent residence.
Actually my doubts now are related to whether i should apply for settlemet visa or follow the eea route. Sure, the EEA route is easer but you can ask for citizienship in 6 years, whereas through the settlement visa you can ask for it in 3. Not that I know now whether i want to apply for it, since citizenship is a complicated matter in my opinion and not to be considered light heartedly, but at the same time i wouldn't want to preclude possibilities. The settlement visa on the other hand seems like a lot of hassle and money too. We live in Italy and just to translate documents we'll need loads of money (just our house contract is 7 pages long). Plus now they require you to pass the english test which is also another financial burdain. Lucky we have some more months ahead before we decide.
I had a question though related to the settlement visa. I read that you can send your cv along with the other documents. I am an occupational psychologist and I have been working as a social worker in the past 3 years. If we move to England I'd like to continue working as a social worker. I was wondering, since I read that social workers are in the ukba shortage occupation list, if this would help with the settlement visa?
I didn't think so but this visa issue is making me feel so frustrated and anxious. I thought after my immigration experience in Italy, where I feel like home now, moving to England (my partner's country) would be a lot easy. Then I read that allowing you to move to England, though it is your partner's home country, is a privilege and not a right and really started to feel uncomfortable

Guerro
Member of Standing

Post by Guerro » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:24 pm

I think you mean a spouse visa for two years rather than settlement visa, am i correct? If so, you don't qualify for it and your only way is eea family permit surrinder singh route.
On a side note, as long as you don't have an eu passport you will suffer till you sort it out irrespective of your degrees or job or money

John

Post by John » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:07 pm

I found out, thanks to this forum, that we can move to England as EEA nationals under EEA regulations and the Surinder Singh ruling and we should qualify for that as my husband has legal residency and works in Italy and we are married and legally live here.
True
I have a few questions though related to the health insurance covering me. In order to move to England i should prove i have health insurance which i guess i should pay for privately.
Why? What gave you the idea you need health insurance? Your husband is exercising EU Treaty Rights as a worker, that is as an employed person .... or alternatively he is self-employed .... and in either case there is no issue with health insurance.

Just proceed to apply for an EEA Family Permit, if you want to go down that route.
John

aa123

Post by aa123 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:33 am

That is what i thought John, maybe they have changed the rules since,unless you have up to date knowledge of the EEA route.

John

Post by John » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:57 am

No they have not changed the rules. In your circumstances your understanding has always been incorrect.
John

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:07 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

aa123

Post by aa123 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:49 am

John wrote:No they have not changed the rules. In your circumstances your understanding has always been incorrect.
Are you referring to me? i'm not aware i have any circumstances??

John

Post by John » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:38 am

Indeed so, I was commenting upon your post :-
That is what i thought John, maybe they have changed the rules since,unless you have up to date knowledge of the EEA route.
You have circumstances, the fact that your husband is exercising Treaty Rights as a worker or self-employed person.
John

aa123

Post by aa123 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:02 am

John wrote:Indeed so, I was commenting upon your post :-
You have circumstances, the fact that your husband is exercising Treaty Rights as a worker or self-employed person.
i think you have confused me with someone else,like I said I don't have any circumstances.

If your referring to the original poster question then fine.

migi
Newly Registered

Post by migi » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:44 pm

Thank you all for the replies and help! I somehow got confused reading another post. Clearly they were referring to a person claiming to be financially self sufficient. Sorry about the confusion
vinny wrote:See also 2. Procedural comparison
this link is amazing and answers loads of questions to people in our same situation. Thanks again