ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Residence card not accepted for job application

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mostafarida
Newly Registered

EEA Residence card not accepted for job application

Post by mostafarida » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:57 pm

Hello,

I hope I am posting this in the correct forum.
I am a spouse of an EU citizen and I have held a residence card for less than a year. My wife has been in the UK just over 5 years and is going to apply for a PR (in case it may be useful at all post Brexit).

I applied for a job at a company and was told I got the job. After performing checks for over a week they just contacted me saying that they do not accept Residence Cards and unfortunately I did not get the job.

It might be worth noting that I hold no criminal record and have not had any negative experiences with any of my previous employers and have held a job in the UK as well which I left on amicable terms.

Do you think this might be the start of something having to do with Brexit or is it just that some employers actually do not accept residence card holders? As far as I could see on the government website, residence cards are acceptable proofs of identity for employers and there should be no issues.

I feel a bit worried about all this and was wondering if anyone could shed any light or their experience when applying for jobs as a residence card holder with full right of work..

Thank you,

Wise
BANNED
Germany

Re: EEA Residence card not accepted for job application

Post by Wise » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:49 pm

That employer has no right to do that as UK is still in the EU and also your spouse can not apply for PR post brexit if your spouse has just got RC for less than year or you both has been together as a couple for while but you just apply recently for RC.

Visit HO website and print out the right of the RC you have and contact/go in person to the hr of that company and educate them as nothing has change regarding your right to work/live in any member state you chose.

Although there are jobs that if you don't have lLR/PR/BRITISH P they will not employ you especially if they will invest in training you for that job e.g Bus driver (funny enough) but again they need to be clear and not saying they do not accept RC.
It is really good to help and everyone deserve to be respected in life. Good luck.

milspectees
United States of America

Post by milspectees » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:08 pm

Wise wrote:That employer has no right to do that as UK is still in the EU and also your spouse can not apply for PR post brexit if your spouse has just got RC for less than year or you both has been together as a couple for while but you just apply recently for RC.

Visit HO website and print out the right of the RC you have and contact/go in person to the hr of that company and educate them as nothing has change regarding your right to work/live in any member state you chose.

Although there are jobs that if you don't have lLR/PR/BRITISH P they will not employ you especially if they will invest in training you for that job e.g Bus driver (funny enough) but again they need to be clear and not saying they do not accept RC.
An employer has the right to refuse employment to whomsoever he wishes provided it isn't on the basis of race, religion, gender or sexual orientation. Refusing employment because someone doesn't have permanent residence is perfectly legal

rooibos
Member of Standing

Post by rooibos » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:08 pm

milspectees wrote:
An employer has the right to refuse employment to whomsoever he wishes provided it isn't on the basis of race, religion, gender or sexual orientation. Refusing employment because someone doesn't have permanent residence is perfectly legal
I'm pretty sure you are mistaken. An employer cannot refuse employment on the basis of speculation regarding future changes in immigration terms, but they can put a clause in the employment contract, by which the contract will be automatically terminated if/when the employee's immigration status changes.

See also this:
http://www.personneltoday.com/hr/deal-u ... nationals/

Wise
BANNED
Germany

Post by Wise » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:33 pm

milspectees,

Please your comment ( perfectly legal) is very very wrong in all aspect as OP did not stated that because he did not possessed PR that was the reason for the job refusal. Even if that's the reason they must explain not just saying no point blank!
It is really good to help and everyone deserve to be respected in life. Good luck.

milspectees
United States of America

Post by milspectees » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:01 pm

Wise wrote:...... Even if that's the reason they must explain not just saying no point blank!
Morally maybe, legally no

Wise
BANNED
Germany

Post by Wise » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:13 pm

Absolutely, with polite and reasonable explanation as the RC says (employment allowed on it)

That so call company need to sort their recruitment process right because if they are not going to take you for a job just because of not settled/EU/BR national they should have ask about the status on the application form and shortlisted whoever they want.

Many job in UK will not be given out to unsettled applicant from non EU national.