ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA & UK Entitlements/Benefits & The Home Office

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sp84

EEA & UK Entitlements/Benefits & The Home Office

Post by sp84 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Good afternoon folks,

I am an Irish citizen (with an American wife) living in Northern Ireland. We moved here in June 2016 and my wife was issued with her 5 year Residence Card in January 2017. I am a teacher and have been working here since we arrived.

I have been trying to get a National Insurance number for her every since we got to the UK - however here in Northern Ireland, a NI number is only issued if the person is A) Seeking work B) Seeking to claim benefits.

We found out she was pregnant a few weeks after arriving in the UK - and so we were OK with her not working (plus her chances of being hired were slim). Our daughter was born a few weeks ago & I would like to get her a NI number as quickly as possible.

Several people have said that she should apply for child tax credit and my questions are:

1) Is she even entitled to it? seeing as she initially came here on a EEA Family Permit (though I know because of my income she may not get anything anyway)

2) If she is able to claim - will her claim negatively impact us further down the line (with regards to how the Home Office views us) ?

Thank you!