ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA2 - Residence card

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

iknownothing

EEA2 - Residence card

Post by iknownothing » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:56 pm

Hi,

can anyone please help me.

My girlfriend (of 5 years with necessary proof) is Thai and in the UK on a visit visa. (she doesnt work and isnt a resident) I am an Irish citizen. I want to use my EEC rights to apply for a residents card for her. I work in the UK.

I am in full time employment and fully supporting her. I called the UKBA and they say she will need comprehensive sickness insurance. Like everyone else I am being thrown to the sharks to waste my money. I have funds that would pay bills if she needed to but this wont be enough. I have to buy some useless policy.

I can't find any insurers offering reasonable priced policies to non-resident of the UK.

Its the usual BS catch 22 situation with visas etc.

I need cover to get her residence. I can't get cover because she's not a resident.

Where can I get a suitable insurance policy. Please please help me.

:evil:

Thank you

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:27 pm

If you are in full time employment, you don't need to have insurance for yourself or your partner. The main obstacle you will need to overcome is proving your relationship is a "durable relationship" akin to a marriage. This is more difficult to prove if you don't live together.

iknownothing

Post by iknownothing » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:11 pm

Jambo wrote:If you are in full time employment, you don't need to have insurance for yourself or your partner. The main obstacle you will need to overcome is proving your relationship is a "durable relationship" akin to a marriage. This is more difficult to prove if you don't live together.
Hi Jambo,
thank you for your reply. Are you sure she will not need insurance? The EEA2 is for her to stay here. I'm sure you understand this.
I actually have private medical care myself with BUPA and an EHIC card.
When I called the Border Agency to enquire they told me she will need insurance?

It's the only thing I do not have for the application.

I have lived with my girlfriend for 2 years in Thailand and been in a relationship since 2007. I have bank transfers from my bank to hers for many months and she has stayed with me twice in the UK. Each time for 6 months. We have stamps in our passports showing us travelling together to Laos, Thailand and Singapore. Lots of other things like emails and photographs etc.
I just can't find anywhere to buy this da**med insurance.

Thank you again

Guerro
Member of Standing

Post by Guerro » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:25 pm

If you are working and can prove it with payslips, letter from employer or p60 you definitely don't need insurance. Check the eea 2 form itself

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:29 pm

As others have said, if you are working, insurance is irrelevant. You would be a qualified person under the regulations.

Demonstrating that one has a durable relationship akin to marriage is more difficult. From what I understand you would need to have lived together for two years for it to be accepted by the UK. This is the UK's position.

As an aside, a married person has less to prove and also the non-EEA spouse would have more protection in the event of a relationship breakdown.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:37 pm

Another point is that a visit visa is for visiting, tourism, etc. I could be completely wrong, but you may find that applying for another immigration category now could put that or future visas at risk. Making hypothetical enquiries is different to making a formal application.

If your partner can demonstrate that she is a family member, then disregard the above.

iknownothing

Post by iknownothing » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:43 pm

:?:

Also on a related note, can I check with someone who has filled in an EEA2 Residence card (non-European family members of EEA or Swiss nationals) form before.

SECTION 1 - APPLICANT’S DETAILS (which is on page 6). Is this where I put my girlfriends details? That's what I have written here.

I wrote my details on page 8, SECTION 3 - YOUR EEA NATIONAL FAMILY MEMBER.

I left page 7, (SECTION 2 - FAMILY MEMBERS INCLUDED IN YOUR APPLICATION) blank as she doesnt have children.

I can't find an exmple of a completed form. :?

Thank you

iknownothing

Post by iknownothing » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:48 pm

Thank you for your fast responses Guerro and EUsmileWEallsmile. I fully understand your points. This has been a long time under consideration. I'm not just jumping in.

If I cannot get a residents card for her I will be applying for a settlement visa anyway. The EEA route seems much better however.

iknownothing

Post by iknownothing » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:40 am

bump

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:12 am

iknownothing wrote::?:

Also on a related note, can I check with someone who has filled in an EEA2 Residence card (non-European family members of EEA or Swiss nationals) form before.

SECTION 1 - APPLICANT’S DETAILS (which is on page 6). Is this where I put my girlfriends details? That's what I have written here.

I left page 7, (SECTION 2 - FAMILY MEMBERS INCLUDED IN YOUR APPLICATION) blank as she doesnt have children.

Thank you
You got it right.

iknownothing

Post by iknownothing » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:58 am

Jambo wrote:
iknownothing wrote::?:

Thank you
You got it right.
Thanks again Jambo