ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA4 Return of Passport: Only one passport returned?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Sabby_00
Newly Registered

EEA4 Return of Passport: Only one passport returned?

Post by Sabby_00 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:03 am

Hi,

As a spouse of an EU citizen, I recently submitted an EEA4 form because my 5 year Residence Documentation has expired. I had submitted two of my passports along with my application: My current Canadian passport, and my expired Canadian passport which holds my 5 year Residence Documentation. After I received a COA, I requested my passports back because I need to travel urgently, however only my current Canadian passport was returned to me. Would anyone know why they didn't return my expired Canadian passport with my 5 year residence documentation? Is this standard procedure? I am worried that if I do travel, I will be unable to re-enter the UK without my 5 year residence documentation, even if it is expired.

Thanks!

Imshzd

Re: EEA4 Return of Passport: Only one passport returned?

Post by Imshzd » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:12 pm

You don't have to show your RC on a way back to UK as you holds a Canadian passport.

Sabby_00
Newly Registered

Post by Sabby_00 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Thanks Imshzd. Good to know I don't have to show a RC, but I'm still confused as to why the Home Office would only return one passport, and hold on to my expired passport? I'm a little worried that this means my expired passport with my RC is lost, which will obviously cause issues with my application. This is why I'm wondering if it's their procedure to retain expired passports? I'm also having difficulty locating a phone number or email address so that I can query this with them - would anybody have contact details I can use?

behold2014

Post by behold2014 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:34 pm

Hi

@Sabby_00 ...same story here.when did you apply?

zebrafishbone
Newly Registered

Post by zebrafishbone » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:32 pm

Hi you don't need to worry not having the residence card when entering the UK.
I was entering the UK (alone) with my 2nd nationality passport while my 1st nationality passport was with the HOME OFFICE for my EEA4 (PR) application which was refused eventually while appeal was submitted.

When I entered the UK I told the officer and explained my PR application was pending. They didn't even ask for any documents but give me a EEA stamp with 6 months valid. They will give a new stamp each time when entering the UK. Also you will need to fill a landing card.

Hope that helps.

zebrafishbone
Newly Registered

Post by zebrafishbone » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:33 pm

Forgot to say it will advisable that you carry your COA and perhaps marriage certificate with you, in case they ask for proof.
I would say COA is the minimum you should take with you.

zebrafishbone
Newly Registered

Post by zebrafishbone » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:44 pm

Also, don't forget you should mention about your PR application and you enter as a spouse of a EEA national. Otherwise they will give you a tourist stamp which does not allow you to work/live in the UK. Although it doesn't matter, as you have your COA stating your right to live and work in the UK. Just see my previous messages above where I told my experience the last few months. Thanks.

Sabby_00
Newly Registered

Post by Sabby_00 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:32 am

Hi Behold2014,

The Home Office received my application on September 24th, 2014, and my COA was dated October 13th. I requested my passport back that same day, and received it less than 10 working days later. Good luck.

Sabby_00
Newly Registered

Post by Sabby_00 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:48 am

Hi Zebrafishbone,

Thanks for your help. It's reassuring to hear of somebody who was able to travel without a RC. I also had no idea I was meant to fill out a landing card, so many thanks for that. I plan on traveling with my COA and marriage certificate, a photocopy of my RC and my husband will also be traveling with me with his EU passport. I already have a mortgage here in London and a job (my employers are American and deal with Visas all the time so they are aware I can work here legally) so I'm not so concerned about having a 6 month Visa stamp - I just want to make sure I can actually re-enter the country! Sounds like it'll be ok.

behold2014

Post by behold2014 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:20 pm

anyone has any idea how long it takes home office to request the passport back?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:31 pm

Sabby_00, if they didn't return your expired passport and you want it back, then ask them to return it. I don't see why they would want or need to keep it.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Sabby_00
Newly Registered

Post by Sabby_00 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:14 pm

Thanks all for your responses. I submitted another online form requesting the return of my expired passport with my Residence Documentation. This was over two weeks ago and I have yet to receive my passport. When I rang the Home Office to enquire about the delay, the guy I spoke to said it was sent to me on November 6th, but when I asked for a tracking number of some kind he told me it wasn't actually sent and that I should just fill out another form.

Has anyone encountered this scenario? I suspect it's been lost in the post but I'm hoping they've just forgotten to send it and will be doing so in a couple of days. It's odd that I can't seem to contact anybody who deals with the return of documents so I don't even know for sure if it was lost or not. In the meantime I did fill out another online form explaining the situation and requesting that somebody from the Home Office email or call me, but I suspect this won't happen. I'm not sure what to do next - anyone have any suggestions? Should I consider my (expired) Residence Documentation lost? If so, will this hold up my PR?

Xuanyi
Newly Registered

Post by Xuanyi » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:35 pm

Sabby_00, can I ask you what happen to your EEA4 Application after you asked for your passports back? Do you have to send your passports back to them again after you come back from your travel? My situation is exactly the same as yours. I am going to request for my passports back as my EEA citizen husband and I need to travel next month and my application (sent 6/11/14, COA 29/11/14) is still pending. Was your EEA4 application considered withdrawn or can they approve it without the passports? I will appreciate it if you or others who have knowledge of this can help me out here as I am totally lost!

sidcostas

Post by sidcostas » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:10 am

Sabby_00 wrote:Hi,

As a spouse of an EU citizen, I recently submitted an EEA4 form because my 5 year Residence Documentation has expired. I had submitted two of my passports along with my application: My current Canadian passport, and my expired Canadian passport which holds my 5 year Residence Documentation. After I received a COA, I requested my passports back because I need to travel urgently, however only my current Canadian passport was returned to me. Would anyone know why they didn't return my expired Canadian passport with my 5 year residence documentation? Is this standard procedure? I am worried that if I do travel, I will be unable to re-enter the UK without my 5 year residence documentation, even if it is expired.

Thanks!

Hi Sabby,

Have you now got your PR card? Im at the same situation as you were back there, i sent my 2 passports to home office (current passport and expired passport with RC in it) I'm planning to request my documents back as i have a family trip next month but I'm seriously concerned about re-entering the UK without a valid RC, can you share your experience with me please, how was it to re-enter the UK with your expired RC, did the home office sent you the expired passport when you requested it too or they just gave the current passport? also if you got your PR, how long did it take for you to get it. I appreciate if you can share you experience on this. I have applied for my PR card 3 months ago.

Regards