ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Girlfriend becoming UK Citizen

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ST1
Newly Registered

Girlfriend becoming UK Citizen

Post by ST1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:30 pm

Hello,

Just a quick question that I need some help with.

My girlfriend is Portuguese who I have been with now for 5 years, she currently lives in Portugal, but being together for the time we have we are looking at marriage. I'm a British Citizen, so really my question is, if/when we get married, how would she go about becoming a permanent resident here? Is a straight forward process?

Thanks for any info.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Girlfriend becoming UK Citizen

Post by Wanderer » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:35 pm

She can move to UK now as a permanent resident with no issues whatsoever with any issue, marriage or visa. Thank you EU!!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ST1
Newly Registered

Post by ST1 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:03 am

Wanderer wrote:She can move to UK now as a permanent resident with no issues whatsoever with any issue, marriage or visa. Thank you EU!!
Really as simple as that? Lol

So basically, how would she go about applying for everything, fee's involved etc, or if we are married is it pretty much just straight forward for her to be able to start working etc?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:11 am

Applying for what? She just needs to get on a plane and come straight in. She'll have to exercise treaty rights for 5 years in the UK before being classed as settled. She doesn't need to be married to you.

See also, EEA FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

ST1
Newly Registered

Post by ST1 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:16 am

Amber_ wrote:Applying for what? She just needs to get on a plane and come straight in. She'll have to exercise treaty rights for 5 years in the UK before being classed as settled. She doesn't need to be married to you.

See also, EEA FAQs - Common Questions - Read before posting
That's cheered me up a bit. I had a basic understanding of it since she's from an EU country, but I didn't know if she would be able to stay here permanently with no time restrictions etc

Amber
Mood:

Post by Amber » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:24 am

Technically EEA nationals are without restrictions for the first 3 months, after which, to have the right to reside, they need to be job seeking, working etc... However, the UK doesn't detain and deport EEA nationals unless, they're serious criminals.

See also, EUN01 - EEA nationals
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

ST1
Newly Registered

Post by ST1 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:25 am

Amber_ wrote:Technically EEA nationals are without restrictions for the first 3 months, after which, to have the right to reside, they need to be job seeking, working etc... However, the UK don't detain and deport EEA nationals unless, they're serious criminals.

See also, EUN01 - EEA nationals

Good to know.

Thank you for the advice.