ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NATIONAL INSURANCE NUMBER

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

LETTERKENNY
Newly Registered

NATIONAL INSURANCE NUMBER

Post by LETTERKENNY » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:35 am

Morning all,
Do anyone have an idea if it is possible for me to apply for a national insurance number in uk?
My situation
I a non Eu family member of Eu citizen with a EUFAM4 stamp in ireland.I am now in uk with an eu family permit valid for 6 months.My husband and i are now thinking of settling in uk,I know we need to apply for eu residence card in uk,but considering the long waiting times for an application to be decided by the uk home office ,can i apply for the national insurance number before submitting my application for the RC?

John

Post by John » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:47 am

Holders of an EEA Family Permit are permitted to work in the UK, so no problem you applying for a UK NI number.

Be aware that you are permitted to work in the UK even before an NI number has been issued. Having a NI number is not a requirement about being able to work.
John

LETTERKENNY
Newly Registered

Post by LETTERKENNY » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:03 pm

Thanks so much john.I actually made a phone call to the job center plus today regarding the NI number application,after series of question like what sort of visa do i have?
My reply - EEA family Permit
then the officer ask was it issued in uk?
and i said it was issued at a british high comission outside uk,
then she ask weather employmented prohibition was written on it,which i replied NO
Finally she took some details and said a letter will be sent after deciding weather i can have NI or not.
I am waiting for the application if any to arrive

DFDS.

Post by DFDS. » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:38 pm

John wrote:Holders of an EEA Family Permit are permitted to work in the UK, so no problem you applying for a UK NI number.

Be aware that you are permitted to work in the UK even before an NI number has been issued. Having a NI number is not a requirement about being able to work.
John is it advisable to apply for EEA before acquiring the NI? Need some light.
Thanks.
Relax! and this too shall pass, secrets are like seasons, they change.

John

Post by John » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:43 pm

I am slightly confused by your question, given that an EEA Family Permit is applied for outside the UK, and a NI number is applied for in the UK.

Accordingly, by definition, ordinarily the EEA Family Permit is applied for before the NI number is applied for.

I say ordinarily because of course someone could have come to the UK on a student visa, or Work Permit, etc, and got a NI number, then later returned to their country, and now circumstances permit them to apply for a EEA Family Permit. So such a person will have already got their NI number, possibly years before getting their EEA Family Permit.
John

DFDS.

Post by DFDS. » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:59 pm

John wrote:
I am slightly confused by your question, given that an EEA Family Permit is applied for outside the UK, and a NI number is applied for in the UK.

Accordingly, by definition, ordinarily the EEA Family Permit is applied for before the NI number is applied for.

I say ordinarily because of course someone could have come to the UK on a student visa, or Work Permit, etc, and got a NI number, then later returned to their country, and now circumstances permit them to apply for a EEA Family Permit. So such a person will have already got their NI number, possibly years before getting their EEA Family Permit.

Sorry i meant EEA resident card, rather than family permit!
Relax! and this too shall pass, secrets are like seasons, they change.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:59 am

If you have an EEA family permit OR if you have a Residence Card, you can work right now in the UK.

If you want a National Insurance Card, then make an appointment and go to the job centre. Say you want it for your work. They are required to issue it to you.

If you AND your partner are staying in the UK, then it would likely make sense to apply for a Residence Card. But there is no rush to do so.

tinustheart
Newly Registered

Re: NATIONAL INSURANCE NUMBER

Post by tinustheart » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:13 pm

Hi I have a NI number and a residence card of a family member of an EAA national but my residence card is not vallit enymore left england had problem back home nou I'm back whant to no wat must I do now

John

Post by John » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:26 pm

Your National Insurance number is still valid, indeed it will be valid for the rest of your life!

But why have you posted into a topic that is merely five years old?
John

tinustheart
Newly Registered

Post by tinustheart » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:00 pm

I went in and so I set to my self I want to aske if my residence card is exp will thy gif me one or must I reaply