ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NON EEA married to Spanish citizen, holiday at the UK

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

eliams
Newly Registered

NON EEA married to Spanish citizen, holiday at the UK

Post by eliams » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:22 am

Hello,

I am Spanish married to Turkish man, as we are living in Spain he is holding a resident permit because of being family of EEA member (because of being my husband), we wanna go Holiday to London, does he need a visa??

I´ve looked on the UK embassy website but as my English is not enough good I can´t clearly understand, it seems if he is coming for a holiday he does not need, but is not clear!!! Also I heard that he can join as a tourist to the UK without visa only if he is travelling with me (because Im his EU familiar, but he can´t join without me), is that true?

Thanks!!!

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: NON EEA married to Spanish citizen, holiday at the UK

Post by 86ti » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:29 am

Apply for an EEA family permit on form VAF5.

eliams
Newly Registered

Post by eliams » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:40 am

But is seems there is a Directive 2004/38/EC which allows my husband to enter the UK and only the following three requirements need to be satisfied:

1. the visa applicant is a family member of an EU citizen (or one of a specific other set of relationships), and is able to prove it
2. the visa applicant must be travelling with the EU citizen
3. all travellers require a passport (or a national ID card for the EU citizen)

I post u the link, it looks like he is able to travel to the Uk without a visa, this is what I undertand:

http://eumovement.wordpress.com/2007/04 ... u-citizen/

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:04 pm

eliams wrote:But is seems there is a Directive 2004/38/EC which allows my husband to enter the UK and only the following three requirements need to be satisfied:

1. the visa applicant is a family member of an EU citizen (or one of a specific other set of relationships), and is able to prove it
3. all travellers require a passport (or a national ID card for the EU citizen
You are absolutely correct. However, the problem arises when the airline you are flying with is unaware of the rules and denies your spouse boarding.

It's a risk and it would certainly spoil your holiday if the airline doesn't play ball.

Obtaining an EEA Family Permit may be irritating, but it's a stress reliever.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:08 pm

eliams wrote:But is seems there is a Directive 2004/38/EC which allows my husband to enter the UK and only the following three requirements need to be satisfied:

3. all travellers require a passport (or a national ID card for the EU citizen)

I post u the link, it looks like he is able to travel to the Uk without a visa, this is what I undertand:

The UK still prefers that you apply for an EEA FP Entry Clearance, regardless!
They will allow you in, at the end of the day, as long as one proves that they are an EU Family Member. But the hassle of that sort of encounter is surely less appealing than simply applying for an EEA FP before you leave for the UK!

eliams
Newly Registered

Post by eliams » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:15 pm

Well, I think it is not about what they do prefer...it is about what it is legal or illegal to do...isn´t it?

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:17 pm

eliams wrote:Well, I think it is not about what they do prefer...it is about what it is legal or illegal to do...isn´t it?

To be honest, it's about how much time you have on your hands! :wink:

eliams
Newly Registered

Post by eliams » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:17 pm

well, as my husband holds a resident card where it explicitly says "family member of EU and writes my name down", I think it is worth to go to the airport and wait for an hour till policemen let us go in, than going to the embassy at Madrid (which is 400 km far away from where we live) for 2 times and miss 2 work days just because they don´t accept aplications by post... just to go for a weekend to London!!!!

Thanks everybody, u were all so kind!!!! and sorry for my English :)

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Eliams, i admire the fact that you are putting your foot down, but you would have to prepare yourself for a possible turn-down, from the airline staff. There are passport checks for all UK bound flights from all EU states, and Airlines staffs will not issue a boarding pass without an EEA family permit, even though they will not be fined, if the UK establish that the passenger is a family member of an EEA national with a right of entry.

The thing about the EEA family permit, is the illegality of the questions it askes, and the undue intrusion into the EEA national's affair, which is think is totally unjustified and unacceptable.

If the UK were to simply ask for the passports and evidence of relationship which they demand at the border, for people who apply for EEA family permit, then i am sure lots of people, 2004/38EC resident card holder or not will apply for family permit.

But they are not. They are asking for employment details, bank statement, proof of accommodation, proof of resource, all of which are forbidden.

Their actions undermines the integrity of the EEA family permit, rather than the failure of people to apply for it.

I would never apply for it, if i was in a position, where it is required of me to do so.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Richard66

Post by Richard66 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:18 am

The thing about the EEA family permit, is the illegality of the questions it askes, and the undue intrusion into the EEA national's affair, which is think is totally unjustified and unacceptable.

If the UK were to simply ask for the passports and evidence of relationship which they demand at the border, for people who apply for EEA family permit, then i am sure lots of people, 2004/38EC resident card holder or not will apply for family permit.

But they are not. They are asking for employment details, bank statement, proof of accommodation, proof of resource, all of which are forbidden.
You do not need to submit these documents. I have letters from the Embassy saying as much as so and, since the proof of the pudding etc when my wife was obliged to apply for one we FLATLY refused to supply any of the illegal documents, writing where possible on the form "NOT REQUIRED FROM EEA FAMILY MEMBERS". We also sent a covering letter making it clear we knew the law backwards.

EEA FP granted within 10 working days. And what is more, we forgot to take the marriage certificate! :) We sent it later by fax.
Aiming at travelling to the UK with my wife and not with an EEA FP!